Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
39,372 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ive been doing some research on the bodykit that i want for my 95 accord coupe, and came down to a few-heres the question though-is it a better idea to have the kit painted, then put on the car, or installed on the car, then painted-if the proper way of doing it is to install the kit, then have it painted, then id probably take on the challenge of installing it myself, then bringing it to the body shop to have them paint it-id figure id save a few bucks on labor-

·
Registered
39,372 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
standdstill said:
you should get a shop to paint it first then put it on
i was thinking about that, but wouldnt the shop have to blend the paint in with the bodykit, so that the paint matches the color of the car?-i mean, my car is a 95, and the paint is 8 years old-it is kinda faded i guess, but in very good condition-id figure that they would have to lighten the color of the paint up a bit-

·
Registered
106 Posts
NEVER PAINT THE KIT FIRST.....
you will scratch the heck out of it. It takes days of shoving and sanding to make most fit. Drilling holes and dropping the kit are unavoidable. If you paint it first you WIll have to repaint it. I do all the work myself and im telling you ..if you install it yourself find a really good friends to help you whose willing to work late into the night for about a week.

·
Registered
39,372 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Rating the difficulty of installing a kit yourself, what would you give it on a 1-10 scale?

·
Premium Member
33,658 Posts
rnstein69 said:
Rating the difficulty of installing a kit yourself, what would you give it on a 1-10 scale?
A 3 maybe? It's not really a mechanical thing, it's more like an artsy-craftsy kinda thing. If you enjoy woodworking and things like that, you should already have the physical skills to get it done right.

BTW: Just my $.02 but I'd preliminary fit the kit then get it painted. But not painted while it's mounted. If you're not good at color matching but you're going to paint the parts yourself, take your car to a shop and have them mix the paint for you. Have fun dOOder! It's a pretty easy project that just takes some time to get it all together.:p

·
Registered
39,372 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Shiba-Kun said:
A 3 maybe? It's not really a mechanical thing, it's more like an artsy-craftsy kinda thing. If you enjoy woodworking and things like that, you should already have the physical skills to get it done right.

BTW: Just my $.02 but I'd preliminary fit the kit then get it painted. But not painted while it's mounted. If you're not good at color matching but you're going to paint the parts yourself, take your car to a shop and have them mix the paint for you. Have fun dOOder! It's a pretty easy project that just takes some time to get it all together.:p
i was gonna have a shop paint it-i was just interested in saving a few bucks on this project-thanks for the info though

·
Premium Member
33,658 Posts
rnstein69 said:
i was gonna have a shop paint it-i was just interested in saving a few bucks on this project-thanks for the info though
It's fun. I was getting quoted $350.00 by bodyshops to have a set of f/r lips: prepped. painted and mounted. I did everything myself and had an aquaintance paint the lips for me and it came out less then $150.00 (not including the price of the lips) and I had fun doing it.:p

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
rnstein69 said:
Dude, I've seen the first-graders who ride the short bus put on their own body kits before. I got a friend to help with mine and we did it in about 5-6 hours. It's more of a pain in the ass than it is hard. Mine is fiberglass, so we had to be real careful when handling it not to put impact stress on it. The hardest part is pre-fitting. Just get under your car (or buy a manual) and make note of where the bolts/screws are so that when you've got your headlights out, the bumper cover, and the bumper beam off your car you still know how shit goes together. I'd say it's about a five. Building a sub enclosure is harder. too much math...:harf:

·
Registered
39,372 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thanks for all the input guys-i think im gonna consider taking on this project myself-ill post some pics after its all said and done-

·
Registered
119 Posts
My 2 cents is this

Put it on first for the following reasons
1) body kits arent guranteed to fit and it could be completly wrong like my side skirts where.
2) Like said above you will drop it you will scract it you might even break it.
3) Drilling holes in it after painting will gause the clear to peel up.
4) Your gonna get it really dirty. (white fiberglass turns to black in some spots)
5) To me it seems easier to prep on the car. More sturdy less worrying of breaking it but it sliding on the ground and anything of the sort.

Any body shop unless there stupid would know to take the bumper off to paint it also. And they should be able to match as well or they suck. Ive seen a car thats sat outside every day of its life get a bumper painted to match and its an 89
To me there is no advantage to painting first.

Another thing when installing the body kit you most likely will have to take off some kind of bumper supports or on the ones Ive installed I have had to or they wouldnt fit on. And also dont buy fiber glass buy ether Poly Fiber or Urethane you will regret buying Fiber Glass

·
Registered
39,372 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
blownoffvalve said:
lol...i just wrote out a detailed instruction about painting the kit and tried to pm u...its full...clear ur inbox.
did you post it in a thread?-if not, it would be great if you can pm me-ill clear out my inbox

1 - 13 of 13 Posts