Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok I got in car today to drive to work and I was going in first and I hit around 4,500 RPMs and my car just feels like someone hooked some sandbags to the back of my car and I hear POW POW POW! Another thing to is, all of a sudden my gas mileage is shit. Its going through fuel like a mother trucker. So I have no idea whats the problem its an 98 LS.

· Banned
2,834 Posts
Could be a few things:

clogged fuel filter,
bad spark plug or plugs,
bad cap and/or rotor,

What kind of service history have you followed? How many miles do you have and what mods do you have done to it?

A.

· Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have 55,000 miles on it I get oil every 3k just had a 50K tune up at local acura dealer.

Current mods:

AEM Cold Air
AEM Cam Gears
AEM Pulleys
A'pex S-AFC
B&M Fuel Regulator
Tanabe Racing Medallion Cat Back
Test Pipe
Comptech 4-2-1 TIG Headers
Short Shifter

· Banned
2,834 Posts
Are you still under warrenty?

If so you can try and take it to Acura for starters.

Since you have a few mods, I'd start at the things I lilsted above but, you could also have a problem with either the SAFC or Fuel regulator.

Your trouble sounds like either a fuel delivery or ignition problem... Sorry I can't be more precise. I'd need to look at it and run down the list.

Let's see what Jayman and randyman have to offer...

I always start simple and move on from there.

A.

· Registered
387 Posts
I have a similar problem. My car runs fine cold but when it hits normal operating temp it sometimes lags when I hit the gas, also when coming to a stop my car idles so low at around 300-400 rpms but never stalls. I changed the oil, spark plugs, transmission fluid, and pcv valve just recently. I'm thinking it's the fuel filter. whats do you guys think.

· Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
No warranty has been voided ever since that bad boy was placed in my hands. Also at idle my RPMs are up to about 1100-1000 and I thought normally they were supposed to be 750 or so? The SAFC I turned off after this all happened cause I thought maybe Im getting to much fuel and I checked my Fuel PSI Guage and it was like at 45-50. It also like makes a noise at idle were sounds like its gonna shut off or I let out the cluth the RPM tach just jumps.

· Registered
2,575 Posts
describe the up and down motion,,like at what rpms.

does it go bzzzzz.....bzzzzzzzz....bzzzzzzz, the rpms jump like at 1000 than 2500 and again and again?

· Registered
2,575 Posts
u got a tune-up right? cap,rotor,plugs, replaced right?

Im guessin its a (ICM)Ignition Control Module problem...if you can borrow a distributor and see if that solves the problem do it. BTW, no CEL would come up if thats the problem.

Maybe your TPS, but doubt it.

No vacuum leaks or any sort right?

This is how I check for leaks...get a TB cleaner spray and spray it on the intake manifold side...if the car revs higher theres a leak somewhere. If it doesnt there is no leak.

It will rev because TB spray is flammable, when ingiested by the engine via vaccum leak there will be a noticeable high rev.

· Registered
2,575 Posts
A bog or misfire is always a lean air fuel mixture or a weak ignition...no spark.

Just double check everything and did you do anything/set your S_VAFC? Any mod that alters your a/f could be the culprit.

· Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Your talking about vacum leaks I think this may be a huge factor to!
I just recently bought some silcone hoses from hose techniques and they send me zip ties no clamps. So I recently replaced a decent amount of hoses and zip tied em off so they prolly not holding well.

I turned off my AFC becuase it was acting all fawked up! It wouldnt read the Air Flow and I would be off the throttle and it reads 4.9. So I think its screwed to shit by the guys who installed it.

Also what is TB I dont know all the internet abbreviations :rolleyes:.

Thanks,
Zolten

· Registered
2,575 Posts
THROTTLE BODY...the inlet valve before the intake pipe or rubber hose

And did this start happening after you replaced the hose?

Did you replace each hose one-by-one or just took them off and went from there?

Make sure you dont plug em or exchange a hose...it can cause a surge and cause different a/f readings to your S-VAFC

· Registered
2,575 Posts
just double check everything and if that doesnt work do the things as stated above...BTW you got AIM, this is taking too long.

Nice conversation btw:)

Jayce320

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.