Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, have a 92 accord, just installed a dsm setup on it, 13g/14b turbo 1gen manifold, stock wastegate, stock bov, stock intercooler, custom charge pipes, HBC manual boost controller, Autometer boost gauge, custom oil feed and drain lines, exhaust downpipe already connected. Other than what I listed, it is a stock motor
I have my hbc boost controller turned down to the minimum and when driving, and getting on it a little bit, my boost gauge hits about 10 psi which is more than what I want on my car, the car still runs fine until I get on it between 3/4 and full throttle, or above like 4 psi in 5th then my cel turns on and I assume it's getting fuel cut. My best guess at what is happening is that the air intake sensor is getting too much air and is sending the signal to cut off the fuel. Anything below like 4psi or so it runs good, I can even rev it at full throttle in neutral and it's fine, no cel or anything, but when it has a load on it it will come on. Is my guess right that it's getting too much air and the ecu is shutting it off as a precaution because it's not normally made for boost? Also what could correct this? The car doesn't feel like it's bogging, pinging, or stuttering, or anything until the light kicks on and as I believe cuts the fuel off. This is my first turbo setup, and I'm trying to get it running right, still need to get another ecu, chipped, and tuned. Thinking of using crome for cost reasons. Is there a way to get it to accept more air before I change out the ecu or what? Any help is much appreciated as I am new to this.

·
Registered
3,192 Posts
so you are running on the stock ecu?

what about injectors? if they are stock 10psi is most likely maxing them out at the stock ecu's duty cycle.

if they are stock get some dsm 450 injectors, crome and a basemap atleast, boost with no timing retarding isnt going to last very long.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
got the missing link on, cel is fine. runs great now. fixed an oil leak in the feed line, retarded the timing 5 degrees, and got a question about injectors, i'm looking at some 440cc dsm injectors from a 91 eclipse gsx, any difference in actual size of the 450s? and aren't they just plug and play in a 92 accord, or do I have to mod them to work?

·
Registered
2,166 Posts
phathom said:
got the missing link on, cel is fine. runs great now. fixed an oil leak in the feed line, retarded the timing 5 degrees, and got a question about injectors, i'm looking at some 440cc dsm injectors from a 91 eclipse gsx, any difference in actual size of the 450s? and aren't they just plug and play in a 92 accord, or do I have to mod them to work?
They are a direct fit but u wont be able to idle them unless u get a fuel controller like the apexi safc/vafc

·
Registered
3,192 Posts
they are peak and hold injectors and are plug and play but you need something to control them.

are you running and FMU? if you are FMU + bigger injectors is a no no.

and you have 5* timing retarded off at the distributor?

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
no fmu, gonna be running crome for my engine management. and wasn't planning on installing the injectors til I get my walbro and ecu installed, as well as my new clutch because my current one is slipping at any sign of torque normally around 3500rpms, at the same time taking it down to get it tuned. And ya it's 5* at my dizzy, glad I got one that you can still do timing on the dizzy with :)

·
Registered
3,192 Posts
i suggest you keep the boost low.

your supposed to pull timing per every lb boost. 5* retarded must really suck, when not in boost.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ya, right now running about 4-6 psi depending on acceleration and rpm range, at 3500 rpm at full throttle in 4th its at 4psi, and it's really not that bad when not in boost, got a hbc and the smaller 14b turbo, so it spools fast so I'm almost always in at least some boost, so not bad at all. Only sucks when I get past 4000-4500 and my clutch starts slipping, ordering a stage3 f1 racing clutch good for about 285 torque and a fidanza 8lb flywheel, that should take care of the slipping rather nicely and let me get everything to the ground, right now with it low it's running just nicely, not really getting on it too much, but I know I need to upgrade my fuel management seriously and get it tuned to prevent damage and get the most out of it. Right now I know I am burning oil, but that's cuz of my valve guides not my rings, leakdown is fine, but after the fuel setup, tuning, and clutch, planning on getting forged pistons and rods to up the boost to about 15psi or so, as well as some headwork to handle the high horsepower above stock, shooting for around a 300hp goal and keeping it enjoyable on the street. one thing I didn't like about boosting is my mpg took about a 100 mile a tank dive so about 7mpg down. :( but it's worth it imo :number1

1 - 9 of 9 Posts