Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so I bought my Honda CRX from J3T1P almost a month ago now and Im starting to wonder about the boost gauge. It has a D16Z6 with the Greddy turbo kit and a AutoMeter Boost Gauge. When the engine is off the boost gauge sits at 1 VAC, while started it sits at about 20 VAC. J3T1P told me that when the gauge hits 0 its acctully 5 PSI then every notch it goes up from there is 1 more PSI. Has anyone heard of something like this with this gauge or turbo kit?

Thanks,

FU510N
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,555 Posts
thats complete bull shit. try borrowing a gauge from a friend or something and see whats up, although i belive that autometer gauge is bad.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Alright so just borrow a guage from someone (perferably not AutoMeter) and see what it does? Because I dont want to be pushing 1 PSI, when I thought it was 6 PSI because thats not much help.

Thanks,
FU510N
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
30 Posts
iLLeFFeKt CiViC said:
thats complete bull shit. try borrowing a gauge from a friend or something and see whats up, although i belive that autometer gauge is bad.
wow if that is the truth... That kinda sucks, I had that boost gauge for a long while and my mechanic who set it up never told me it was busted. (assuming it was) He just told me that remember 5 = 0 and so forth yadda yaddi yah, I am guessing it was his way of reading it and.

btw NO I AM NOT TRYING TO GIP YOU OFF. This guy makes me look bad by calling it BS. :bash

But I can agree with him about the autometer Gauge being busted. When I installed it, there was something fishy with it. (was a gift from an acquaintance) But always did fine for me when I kept that 5 = 0 in mind. maybe that is it was hard for me to properly tune.

Oh Nathan add that to your list of things to buy if it is busted. Laters check your pm btw.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
30 Posts
YO

oh btw did you call that guy's number yet? ( my old mechanic aka one who tuned it) If not let me know what problems you are dealing with and I will call him by friday. But make sure to put in detail to me what you have done to the car so far. So I can explain what is going on to him, he should know what you have to do with that car.

Please do not blow up the Crx. Hahaha laters! Fill me in man...

EDIT*
Oh yeah and to add to your thread.... Why is it at 20 now? It sat at 0 when on, when I handed you the keys? This is after you installed that AEM FPR right? I told you to just take it to the shop (best way) unless you have all the tools to tune it.

But it will definetely fluctuate on the idle.

Just take it off. When you have turbo expect not to cut corners or start installing things here and there without paying attention to the way the whole system works.

Good Luck....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,555 Posts
J3T1P said:
wow if that is the truth... That kinda sucks, I had that boost gauge for a long while and my mechanic who set it up never told me it was busted. (assuming it was) He just told me that remember 5 = 0 and so forth yadda yaddi yah, I am guessing it was his way of reading it and.

btw NO I AM NOT TRYING TO GIP YOU OFF. This guy makes me look bad by calling it BS. :bash

But I can agree with him about the autometer Gauge being busted. When I installed it, there was something fishy with it. (was a gift from an acquaintance) But always did fine for me when I kept that 5 = 0 in mind. maybe that is it was hard for me to properly tune.
if my mechanic tells me to remember that 5=0 i will tell him to go screw himself and i'll go find someone else. i'm not trying to make you look bad, its the thruth. thats why we have gauges in automobiles, to show engine parameters so we can keep an eye on things and they are should be accurate so we dont have to calculate what it means.
if your gas gauge shows half a tank it should be just that, half a tank, not a full tank and not an empty tank.
if your egt gauge shows 900* celsius then thats the temperature where the probe is and not colder or hotter. few degrees could cost you a motor. and i could keep going but i'll stop here for now.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,555 Posts
J3T1P said:
Oh yeah and to add to your thread.... Why is it at 20 now? It sat at 0 when on, when I handed you the keys? This is after you installed that AEM FPR right? I told you to just take it to the shop (best way) unless you have all the tools to tune it.

But it will definetely fluctuate on the idle.

if the boost gauge sat at 0 with the engine running there's something wrong for sure. either a bad or improperly installed gauge, huge vacuum leak and so on.

if the idle is steady the gauge should not fluctuate.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
30 Posts
iLLeFFeKt CiViC said:
if my mechanic tells me to remember that 5=0 i will tell him to go screw himself and i'll go find someone else. i'm not trying to make you look bad, its the thruth. thats why we have gauges in automobiles, to show engine parameters so we can keep an eye on things and they are should be accurate so we dont have to calculate what it means.
if your gas gauge shows half a tank it should be just that, half a tank, not a full tank and not an empty tank.
if your egt gauge shows 900* celsius then thats the temperature where the probe is and not colder or hotter. few degrees could cost you a motor. and i could keep going but i'll stop here for now.
hahha yeah man I hear you, no problems here. Then again his practices were odd, I like the old man but it seemed as though if I think about it now I can always gripe about it. I remember when he told me that he is putting in a d16z6 he was going to put in the same ECU, months later after the install, "I put in an LS ECU" which I never really thought anything of, I mean when you are young you just want the car back and in good running order. He did a good job of making the turbo work, but to its full potential who knows... I only boosted up to 7 - 9 psi. Was a fun car... But going all N/A now.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
30 Posts
iLLeFFeKt CiViC said:
if the boost gauge sat at 0 with the engine running there's something wrong for sure. either a bad or improperly installed gauge, huge vacuum leak and so on.

if the idle is steady the gauge should not fluctuate.
ok so what do you think is happening? I would like to know as well as I do not want to hear about my old Car blowing up...

It made an 8 hr drive so it was fine when it left my garage. (stopping now for breaks as I advised him here and there)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Its accutlly running great now no more weird idle with the FPR........I just want to know exactlly how much boost the turbo it putting out. It would just be nice to know.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,966 Posts
uh, actually i would like to know more about this also as i have an autometer 30/30 boost/vac gauge.

on a cold start, mine sits at [email protected] and works fine, goes to the 7psi mark(i have the 7psi spring in wastegate) and all, but after the engine gets warm/hot after driving awhile, the needle starts to slump towards 20vac and when im getting full boost its at like, 2psi.

my guage is mounted in the left ac vent(i removed the factory vent) and i dont use the heat or ac to fuck with the vac line/wiring. the vac line routing goes directly from the IM through the firewall, under the dash for a few inches and up into the ac vent.

btw ill hoook you up with the best hondata ever made for a deal. check the sig.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Alright guys now he comes the really wierd news and I need some help. So I went out a bought a Vaccum/Boost Gauge to test it and see what was going on. I hooked up the gauge, quick 3 min swap, and when I started the car everything seemed good, Vac level good, but when I took off all I could get the needle on the boost gauge to go up to was about 1 PSI, same as my other gauge. Does anyone have any idea whats going on, I tried turning the boost up a little to see if there was any change but none. My BOV is going off, not sure if it is premature, so Im pretty sure that its not a turbo leak.

*Edit: Ohh and J3T1P i am not trying to make you feel like you jipped me because you gave me a great car for a really good price. The only reason I am concerned about the boost gauge is because I'd love to just know how much boost I am pushing instead of kinda guessing. Ohh and talk to me on Yahoo Messenger some time I'm ussually on, while im not working :D .

Thanks,
FU510N
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
UPDATE!!!

So I got the chance to do some 4th gear pulls today on a secluded road, and heres the results. I got the boost gauge to get to about 2 PSI then it would start to drop even though I was still giveing it gas and wasn't even close to start letting off, then when I would let off I would here the BOV as ussuall. So I tightened the BOV, thinking it might be going of prematurely, and it wasn't, so I put it back were it was. Does anyone have any idea what could be going on. Could it be a VAC leak between the gauge and where its tied in between the FPR and Intake Manifold, could it just be a charge pipe leak, or something else. I just need some help because I dont know whats going on and like J3T1P said I dont want to blow this engine up.

Thanks,
FU510N
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
30 Posts
ummm you know what when you said three minute swap? Did you actually go in and just replace all the vacuum lines that went with the new boost gauge? If not then the problem might be there... If you did do not worry so much, even when I did have the car I never just started boosting out of nowhere. I only did it when I had too. Such as pulling up on an empty street testing my buddies new car around.(testing it out and all)

But seriously you shouldn't be too worried and if I got you a little riled up about the boosting part just relax. The car has a new engine still and should be good as long as you keep the turbo healthy with the turbo timer and regular oil changes for the block.

Also keep in mind I had that car running like that for a loooong time even when that guy said "BS" because whether he likes it or not. my mechanic was right about the boost at least for this car. Just keep in mind that 0 = 5 and whatever hits above it start counting. Or you can always just find the leak if there is one. But if you have a leak, you would see it on the gauge right?

Any other opinions from anyone else? (kinda need a second one)

*edited*
it is not a charge pipe, not the bov for sure, if anything it might be the gauge vac lines. Try that and see how it goes. Make sure you replace all the old existing ones with the new gauges' lines.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Alright changed the boost gauge vac lines, took about 30 min....couldn't get it though the firewall for the longest time. Well I will have to take it for a spin, when I go to get something to drink from the store. Ill let you guys know whats up when I get back.

EDIT: Well took it for a spin.....its the same, spools up, reaches something like 2 PSI on the gauge (so if J3T1P's Mech. was right it would be 7 PSI), then it seems to drop down, and I can't seem to get it to go any further, and then the BOV goes off once I let off the gas. Any ideas?
 
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top