Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a 96 ej8 coupe that i'm going to start building. i've been wanting to get into road racing for a few years now, but have never got the chance.

i am going to run a sleeved b-series with turbo setup. probably a gsr transmission with type r lsd. i am unsure of the turbo right now... either my cousins 50trim with full boost at 3k or maybe something a little bigger like a 35r.

do any of you guys run a turbo'd road race car? or even auto x ? im very interested to see what your guys' thought are on this. thnks

· Registered
73 Posts
a 35r on a sleeved b series is overkill for road racing. i do recommend building the motor for strength and reliability but you wanna aim for a turbo that will spool fast and produce outstanding power throught the powerband with a linear torque curve. start small and dont skimp an quality. a built b series with say, an Edelbrock Victor X open track kit will make for a killer road race setup. just enough to pull on other cars without breaking traction or suffering from turbo lag. road racing is just as much about cornering and driver ability as it is about power.

· Registered
3,077 Posts
Also dont get a stupid honda tranny with a "lsd" buy a REAL Quaife LSD if your gonna make a serious project. Size your tires according to the ammount of power you'll make as well, roll your fenders if needed. If your car loses traction in 3rd get wider tires and modify your suspension to compensate.

I would double synchro 1st 2nd and 3rd as well. and theres also a modification transmission builders can do to strengthen the tranny by using a different type of bearing than honda trannies come equipped with. Research it you'll se what im talking about.

For boost use longer gear ratios, much like F series transmissions from accords, something to that nature in gearing. All the power in the world wont make your car faster if you can't put it down.

Thats my 2 cents.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.