Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
5,438 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
we dropped a 95 gsr motor in a civic and we want to run boost, but the compression is 10.6:1... i read in superstreet that you shouldnt run boost with higher than 8.5:1 compression... we're planning low boost (6-8 psi) and we were wondering if we need to throw in a thicker headgasket to drop the compression down

·
Registered
204 Posts
With that kinda compression you "could" run boost but I have only seen it done on domestic applications. With that said they usually don't run anymore then 5 pounds of boost. I'm pretty sure physics wise this applies to just about any engine. However, take extra percautions and use I/C hell even water injection,etc...just to make SURE you don't blow anything up. Me personally I would try to get it down to about 9:1 JUST to be on the safe side,but that's just me :)

·
Registered
5,860 Posts
That'd be a reasonably good idea to lower compression use thicker head gasket and no bigger combustion chamber doesn't = more power, and Boost is possible on 11:0:1 c/r engines its just more prone to detonation and is harder to tune, you've got a shit load of learning and research to do before you just do what your talking about.

·
Registered
204 Posts
CRVTEC0WNZJ00 said:
That'd be a reasonably good idea to lower compression use thicker head gasket and no bigger combustion chamber doesn't = more power, and Boost is possible on 11:0:1 c/r engines its just more prone to detonation and is harder to tune, you've got a shit load of learning and research to do before you just do what your talking about.
:werd:

Education is the KEY to success no matter what. Fortunate for me I'm already pretty deaply involved in tuning. It's learning the honda stuff that's new to me now.

·
Registered
392 Posts
i heard that less than 8[si u didnt really need an intercooler. this true? if not would that low of boost be ok with just a vortec after cooler(water cooled)? i figured out i wanna go turbo but i dont want it to be obvious. sleek sleeper. plus around here u have a big ass intercooler showing, u go in a bowling alley come out with ur shit gone

·
Registered
5,438 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i'm used to domestics and euros... the imports are all new to me... i really think that the intercooler is key to making serious power... that turbo gets hot... and i think the intercooler neccesity is more from the boost pressure than the compression... but please educate me if i'm wrong

·
Registered
3,254 Posts
hobie237 said:
i'm used to domestics and euros... the imports are all new to me... i really think that the intercooler is key to making serious power... that turbo gets hot... and i think the intercooler neccesity is more from the boost pressure than the compression... but please educate me if i'm wrong
yea i was gonna say the same thing.

What did you do to the motor to get it to 10.6:1? stock b18c1's are 10:1. i have one that i put 10 psi to. You just have to make sure you get all the goodies that go along with it ie injectors, i/c, fuel pump, a standalone... Tuning is the key.

·
Registered
34,361 Posts
acuradriva said:
yea i was gonna say the same thing.

What did you do to the motor to get it to 10.6:1? stock b18c1's are 10:1. i have one that i put 10 psi to. You just have to make sure you get all the goodies that go along with it ie injectors, i/c, fuel pump, a standalone... Tuning is the key.
tuning is the most important part of any build up. without proper tuning all your time and money can go down the shitter in a matter of minutes

·
Registered
2,806 Posts
lude_dude_si said:
i heard that less than 8[si u didnt really need an intercooler. this true? if not would that low of boost be ok with just a vortec after cooler(water cooled)? i figured out i wanna go turbo but i dont want it to be obvious. sleek sleeper. plus around here u have a big ass intercooler showing, u go in a bowling alley come out with ur shit gone
I read in an article that it is a good idea to run an intercooler on honda engines no matter what boost level you are running. This was from an interview with a guy that worked at a major turbo company.

·
Registered
392 Posts
well see i dont really want ppl to see a big intercooler cuz 1 then they know whats up and 2 ppl are great theives here. my budddies full kit, intake exhaust and rims were yanked off his car in a matter of 2 hours sitting in a crowded parking lot. dont they make little I/C's that i can like mount in the corner.....wait, i wonder if i painted or power coated the inter cooler black it'd blend in with the radiator. now i just need a quiet BOV... here is a pic of that aftercooler i was talking about. i think its meant just for a little extra temp drop(water induced) after the intercooler but i kinda figured that at low psi u could skip the intercooler and go straight to this. as a matter of fact i picked up a HCI magizine today and they used the air-to-water vortech aftercooler and said it can handle boost up 8.2psi. im pretty sure it replaced the intercooler cuz in the pi the BOV is mounted to the aftercooler and i dont see an intercooler on the car. now i just gotta find where to buy one lol

·
Registered
392 Posts
yeah the one my cosuin has on his new protege is pretty well hidden. i was thinking about that but dont the stock inlets come in smaller sizes? im gonna do some research on and check out the after cooler thing, looks pretty impressive and if i mount it right the air can be air and water cooled.....
lol ok no moretalk about this, i just realized i jacked this dudes thread, sorry bro, carry on

1 - 20 of 25 Posts