Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:bh........so umm anyways, is boring out a d16z6 worth it...i have a freind who is doing one for me right now and i was curious to how much of a gain i should expect....the guy who is boring it out wont tell him until after the dyno test...i think its goin to 1.8-2.0 what yall think

·
Registered
5,789 Posts
I spoke with will at exospeed and I believe he said the most you could bore a z6 would be 79mm...anything more spells d-i-s-a-s-t-e-r...you should bore it out to 79mm and sleeve the block, then get some nice forged internals, do a p&p on the head and intake manifold, and boost that bish... :p

·
Registered
5,789 Posts
solblu said:
or just get a GSR block...already a 1.8, already much better flowing head, already the same power as a boosted D block, much cheaper and more reliable...
true, but it would be much better to build a single cam that can smoke a lot of dohc's out there runnin the streets...and if you go through all that trouble of building a single cam, you'd better have an awesome dyno tune done, and a really nice turbo setup...bc if you don't end up pushing a lot of power to the wheels, then all that hard work wasn't worth it...I'm eventually going to turbo my b16a2 and I plan on at the least getting 300whp...and I have two spare d16z6's so I was thinking about maybe doing something with one of them...there's a guy here in town who guarantees me that if I was to have him build one of them for me, I'd be pushing 300 to the wheels...pretty tempting I must say...but I know my dohc has more potential...

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
bbka on HMT runs 12s and lays down 240whp on a stock d16z6, last time i took math i think that comes out to a little under 300hp turbo D with stock stuff and less than a couple grand total in it all even with his big ass turbo, TRUE this is very RARE and hard to do, but 200whp on a turbo D is fairly easy to do with the ability to tune well and can be a cheap alternative to a B, also if you break something its cheap to replace

btw if you know a turbo D with only 300hp and it costed over 10grand than those guys need to find a new hobby

e.

·
Registered
644 Posts
lead said:
+10 that is way too expensive. I'm not all about the d series but it doesn't cost that much to amke 300 whp on them.

REALLY...then make a list and show me what it does take....and you can't use junkyard parts or i know this guy who steals stuff and sells it cheap prices either....

Just the block will cost you $2k, another $1500 for the head, $3-4k for a turbo, $1k for EMS, $500 tuning, $500 for a wideband $500 for axels, $500 clutch & flywheel, $500 for a new exhaust (all custom including high flow cat) + a lot of extra's I can't think of right off the top of my head. Remember you can't skimp when making that much power, you'll have to upgrade suspension and brakes, even tires just to drive on the street.

a 200whp turbo D is a whole different story, I can do that NA with a B20 for under $2k.

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
solblu said:
REALLY...then make a list and show me what it does take....and you can't use junkyard parts or i know this guy who steals stuff and sells it cheap prices either....

Just the block will cost you $2k, another $1500 for the head, $3-4k for a turbo, $1k for EMS, $500 tuning, $500 for a wideband $500 for axels, $500 clutch & flywheel, $500 for a new exhaust (all custom including high flow cat) + a lot of extra's I can't think of right off the top of my head. Remember you can't skimp when making that much power, you'll have to upgrade suspension and brakes, even tires just to drive on the street.

a 200whp turbo D is a whole different story, I can do that NA with a B20 for under $2k.
thats the most expensive parts list ive ever seen, 1500 on a long block totally machined with forged internals a 2000 dollar 60+trim T3/T4....but hell even thats over kill a 1000 dollar ported BIG 16g will lay down 300whp all day, yea its about maxed out but it will get you the power for sure, Hondata/uberdata/crome whatever engine managment and wideband o2 of your choice 300-600, dynotime 200-300, clutch and flywheel 500 new exhaust 200-300 what would you be putting a Cat on a turbo car for anyhow? they dont even come factory with one usually.... so thats 5000-6000 giving you the benefit of the doubt with ALLL brand new stuff and even pricing it a little on the high side.....i dont see where you got some of this like 2000 on a block thats insane, crower rods and weisco pistons and arp bolts will still be under 2grand and thats WAYYY over kill for 300whp, eagle rods and srp pistons will hold that just fine and would be less than a G for it all. 1500 for a head is nuts what do you need a 1500 dollar head for? a stock head with a nice stage 2 turbo cam and valve springs and retainers will flow well enough for 300whp, hell even if you got a stage 2 head from someone like honda-performance.com thats 700 dollars and its ported REALLY well with better cam and valve springs, valves, retainers the works, a really super head that would still be over kill if your just shooting for 300whp but would make it easier for sure...seriously your list is stupid nuts, with all the stuff you are talking about if they didnt have over 400-500 then id say again that they need to find a new hobby

·
Registered
5,789 Posts
there really isn't any point in explaining anything to some people...I've heard of people on turbod16.com laying down 300whp on stock internals, on d16's!!! that's just something I heard from someone who's been part of SHO for a little while now...and obviously the life of those motors will be short lived but hey, at least that goal IS feasible...everyone acts like you can't do shit with a d series motor, and it's really starting to get old...you can do anything with ANY motor and put up some pretty damn impressive numbers...and it wouldn't cost you 10g's...

·
Registered
644 Posts
"just shooting for 300whp"

Show me a dyno of a 300 whp D bock and a list of parts...it'll be really close to $10g, or it'll only last a couple months. I've seen 2 turbo D blocks die in the last week from going the cheap way....

Forged internals and sleeves will cost you almost $2k, plus new bearings, gaskets, oil pump. water pump...all the stuff you replace in a rebuild. $2k on a block easy.

The head may not cost you a grand depending on the port job, and what parts you use.

Uberdata, or Hondata end up costing $1000 to use, I've seen many people list everything they have in it and go over the $1k mark.

·
Registered
5,789 Posts
it might end up costing you "near" 10g's but it won't be anything over that...especially if you know people who can get you the things you need at a decent price, and if you can do everything yourself you will be saving a ton of money...but you know that already...if it's going to cost you more than 10g's to build a 300whp d series motor, I suggest going with something different, a boosted b series perhaps...

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
solblu said:
"just shooting for 300whp"

Show me a dyno of a 300 whp D bock and a list of parts...it'll be really close to $10g, or it'll only last a couple months. I've seen 2 turbo D blocks die in the last week from going the cheap way....

Forged internals and sleeves will cost you almost $2k, plus new bearings, gaskets, oil pump. water pump...all the stuff you replace in a rebuild. $2k on a block easy.

The head may not cost you a grand depending on the port job, and what parts you use.

Uberdata, or Hondata end up costing $1000 to use, I've seen many people list everything they have in it and go over the $1k mark.
uberdata's free, a chip burner is 50-100 bucks 10 dollars for a chip, 200-300 for a wideband o2 and datalogging and having an old laptop laying around isnt 1000, hell even if you bought a small older laptop for like 200-300 bucks thats still way under a grand

btw sleeves are not a necessity for 300whp, i have seen stock sleeves hold it

·
Registered
644 Posts
That's pretty close to a grand even with your prices for uberdata. $7-800 by my count.

If you do alot of the work and learn to tune your own turbo car with just a wideband without blowing anything up, you can save a little, maybe get it down to $8k.

Sleeves are necessary for 300 whp D block to last. Again no dyno's of any 300whp D's...especially of the $5g type. Speed/power costs money. You're getting close to $10G with any 300whp setup.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Ok I have nothing to do with you sohc guys, im planning on sticking to building dohc engines. However this thread intrigued me so I thought id place some calls to my machinist <while checking on my current project> and ask him about this subject. Heres the NORMAL <without any hookups for me> prices I go quoted.
ok first the block:

Profesional Hone Job
Diamond Decking
Professional Hot Tanking
Professionally balanced
All New Engine Bearings
Upgraded Oil Pump
Complete With Forged Pistons, and Eagle Rods
With Sleeves Installed - $3300

Next the head:

Ported
polished
3 angle valve job
dual valve springs
titanium retainers
$1000 shipped

Now for the bolt on fun:
traction:
6 puck clutch
12lb flywheel
New heavy duty pressure plate
$500

Breathing:
Ported manifold
70/69 mm tapered throtle body
lightened crank pully
$625

This motor build up without the turbo will easily put you in the 13-12 second range
There is a dyno that he hased to go online and put up on his site of a build, It was a 11:1 compression turbo motor with block guard and a set of our 10.8:1 SOHC Pistons. The motor made so much power, and when the cam was added even more was picked up from the dyno. The customer ran mid 12's on a full interior 1994 Civic Coupe
11:1 Compression 300 Wheel HP Turbo D16

So by my total for just a professional built block that you could run all day long at over the 300 mark came too $5425. Now on top of this you'll need gaskets, and your turbo and your mangement.
Soo if its like 800 for management round up too 6000 for built ass engine my guess for making this project a reality would be $8000. Well shy of your $10,000 mark. But still up there. However even without the turbo this would be one sick motor! And im working the dyno, some glitch on his server.

·
Registered
5,789 Posts
sorrow said:
Ok I have nothing to do with you sohc guys, im planning on sticking to building dohc engines. However this thread intrigued me so I thought id place some calls to my machinist <while checking on my current project> and ask him about this subject. Heres the NORMAL <without any hookups for me> prices I go quoted.
ok first the block:

Profesional Hone Job
Diamond Decking
Professional Hot Tanking
Professionally balanced
All New Engine Bearings
Upgraded Oil Pump
Complete With Forged Pistons, and Eagle Rods
With Sleeves Installed - $3300

Next the head:

Ported
polished
3 angle valve job
dual valve springs
titanium retainers
$1000 shipped

Now for the bolt on fun:
traction:
6 puck clutch
12lb flywheel
New heavy duty pressure plate
$500

Breathing:
Ported manifold
70/69 mm tapered throtle body
lightened crank pully
$625

This motor build up without the turbo will easily put you in the 13-12 second range
There is a dyno that he hased to go online and put up on his site of a build, It was a 11:1 compression turbo motor with block guard and a set of our 10.8:1 SOHC Pistons. The motor made so much power, and when the cam was added even more was picked up from the dyno. The customer ran mid 12's on a full interior 1994 Civic Coupe
11:1 Compression 300 Wheel HP Turbo D16

So by my total for just a professional built block that you could run all day long at over the 300 mark came too $5425. Now on top of this you'll need gaskets, and your turbo and your mangement.
Soo if its like 800 for management round up too 6000 for built ass engine my guess for making this project a reality would be $8000. Well shy of your $10,000 mark. But still up there. However even without the turbo this would be one sick motor! And im working the dyno, some glitch on his server.
thank you for putting it all in perspective with the figures and all...like I said, close to 10g's but nothing more...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.