• poop!

Votes: 5 27.8%
  • Worse than dog shit

Votes: 5 27.8%
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering for home theatre buffs....what your experiences with this brand is? I know on audioreview.com there are plenty of bose bashers, but i think for the money they are decent. Obviously not the best on the market but better than audiovox!!:D
peace

· Registered
841 Posts
The only redeeming quality that Bose has is their size. Past the Acousticmass or Lifestyles series, I think it's crap. I have yet to hear the wave radios, so I won't comment there.

Personally, I would rather have an Energy Take 5 than any of the bose units. If you really want bang for the buck in HT, go look at building the Audax HT kit. It's about 1G for all of the parts, you build the cabinets. Also, skip the audax sub and get a Shiva or Tempest, even a Dayton Titanic. Build that system, and you will put any store purchased system under $4-5k to shame.

· Registered
350 Posts
bose good if all your listen to is classical music, otherwise, forget it, movies, pop/rock, esp jazz sucks ass for bose, i know, i have a set of 901's set of newer 701's, and a set of acoustimass. They are are currently sitting unused, either unplugged, or B set. They were good, say 10-15 years ago, not anymore.

Harmon Karmon is good, HK, but they also are jbl, infinity, mark levinson, and a bunch of other name brands, same company, same stuff with some exceptions. Only way is to listen to them yourself... Just stay away from all those new ceramic or metallic woofers, they sound like shit imo.

Honestly, i do not think you could go wrong with most of the midline HK stuff, meaning upper end jbl, infinity speakers. For the price, they are a great value. audioreview is a very good site, i agree with the avg. review as long as there is a large number. You can tell when some things are POS if lots of people say they are... alot of companies are good, but are you willing to dole out the cash, i'd rather spend it on mods.
But you still have to have a decent entertainment system, so my current speaks are all infinity(rs5,rs3,cc3 center,bu15 sub) for main system with sony-935 rec, all for less than $1500 shipped to my door. Love the speakers, unbelievable for dvds which is about all i use them for these days anyway ever since mp3's...

· Registered
1,374 Posts
Bose is for the non audio people that want just an overpriced stereo they can brag about. Why did they hire Herbie Hancock to sell their accoustic wave unit that you can't even make sound adjustments to? Go to any high end or true stereo store and they will laugh if you mention Bose. Check out B&W speakers from England, they have won tons of awards and are very high quality. NAD amps are also good, as are Harman Kardon, Onkyo, and Denon. Great products sell themselves, they need no infomercials.

· Registered
126 Posts
www.definitivetech.com

BOSE vvvvvvv.....DEFINITIVE TECHNOLOGY ^^^^^^^^

1fast2dr

· Registered
3,194 Posts
I use a bose acoustimass 15 for my computer and it's ok. Nothing better than playing UT with some real bass :) but for home theater no thanks. I have the mirage HDT components with a klipsch 15" reference sub, denon AVR 5800 receiver and DVM 4800 5 disc dvd/mp3 player and of course my pride an joy my 40" trinitron Wega TV(I don't like projection, colors are usually nasty) :) Needless to say I take home theater very seriously.

For low end to low mid range Bose are ok and so are infinity, for midrange I like nak, klipsch, kef, encore, energy. For high end I like Mirage, Definitive, Atlantic Tech, Kef Reference, JM Labs(for real deep pockets), Nak Soundspace 21 is definately high end but wayyy pricey, M&K makes some good stuff.

Home theater depends on how deep your pockets are willing to spend, the more you spend the better they are. Are bose ok? sure they are OK, but not breathtaking. I spent close to $15k for my system including the TV. I don't expect many folks to spend that much.

· Registered
401 Posts
$15K definatly hurts, but i am sure your system is the SHEIT! Once i get out of college and am not a poor college kid anymore i will try to get something of that nature but over time, if ya know what i am saying.

· Registered
1,319 Posts
I bought Miller+Kreisel speakers. www.mksound.com I'm from Burbank, CA, where a bunch of the studios are, so I've taken tours of Disney, NBC, FotoKem motion picture labs, Matchframe, and some other places, and while the preferences of the individual editors/technicians vary, many of them swore by the M+K professional line. All the M+K's are made in good old Southern California, they have a whole THX-certified line (something Bose will never get), and I love em! :D They're actually more expensive than Bose, but worth it I think. Here's a small pic, click on my "WWW" below if you'd like more info.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.