Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have seen many lowered cars done right and many done wrong. What I mean is I will see a lowerd car take corners and it looks very smooth with no bouncing back and forth. Now I will see another lowered car just driving straight and if they tap the break the car bounces back and forth.

My question is, that bouncing is caused because of crappy shocks right?

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
bouncing may also be caused by cut springs (*sigh*:rolleyes: )

·
Registered
12,727 Posts
cheap ass coilovers mated with cheap ass shocks will result in a very shitty handling ride with shitty comfert.

·
Registered
3,081 Posts
lOOkatme said:
cheap ass coilovers mated with cheap ass shocks will result in a very shitty handling ride with shitty comfert.
exaaactly and like someone else said, cut springs. people are stoooopid to cut their springs

·
Registered
6,555 Posts
that bouncing is cause by the car bottoming off the bumpstops because its lowered way to much. basically the car rests on the bumpstops. the shocks and springs dont actually work much in that case.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Stock shocks and struts with coilovers or just blown ones.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Is the only difference between coilovers and a spring/shock combo is the ability to drop the cars hight. If I dont want to drop the car height then can I just get a spring/shock combo? Any good combos, I was looking at TOKICO illumina kit.

·
Registered
466 Posts
very good choice. check out others from tokico, some have adjustable dampening settings. the illuminas <spelling lol> might have that feature. not sure. They also hold up better then Konis. Some of their lines blow easily.

·
Registered
6,555 Posts
Tegra02 said:
very good choice. check out others from tokico, some have adjustable dampening settings. the illuminas <spelling lol> might have that feature. not sure. They also hold up better then Konis. Some of their lines blow easily.

dont mean to flame or anything but the tokico illuminas are not better than koni yellows.
the tokico blues are not to be used with any kind of racing springs or with adjustable coilover sleeves.

ZeroHeat......how much do you want to spend on your suspsension setup?? and what are you looking for?? what kind on driving do u do?? mostly street with ocasional autox??? full race?? how are the roads in your area??

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
iLLeFFeKt -- my first stick car that I raced was a type R so I want to have that same or better handeling. I never got to do any autocross or road racing with it (other than highways) but next year I am going. Price, well to be honest arent we all looking for the cheapest coast for the best performance but if you need a $ value I would say no more than 1000.00.

·
Registered
625 Posts
iLLeFFeKt CiViC said:
that bouncing is cause by the car bottoming off the bumpstops because its lowered way to much. basically the car rests on the bumpstops. the shocks and springs dont actually work much in that case.
i can totally agree on his statement... and the others that the shocks may be blown... moreover, if you want to be able to take hard corners... you might want to upgrade the bars in your car, like rear sway bar, tie bar, rear strut bar... etc.

ZeroHeat said:
iLLeFFeKt -- my first stick car that I raced was a type R so I want to have that same or better handeling. I never got to do any autocross or road racing with it (other than highways) but next year I am going. Price, well to be honest arent we all looking for the cheapest coast for the best performance but if you need a $ value I would say no more than 1000.00.
for your price range $1000, here are some recommended options with some price guesstimates:
1.5" Drop and below:
Koni Yellows & Neuspeed Sport Springs - $700 range
Koni Yellows & Eibach Sport Springs - high $700 range - $800
Too expensive? replace the Koni Yellows with KYB AGX's...still expensive? go with Tokicos..

Height Adjustability:
Koni Yellows & Ground Control Coilovers - $800 range
Full Coilover setup *Tein-SS* $900 or Apex'i ... can never go wrong with a full coilover setup...---ehhh im biased more towards the Teins since i got the HAs... ....g00d luck on your decision.

·
Registered
128 Posts
The shocks dampen vibrations, and make you not bounce. If the shocks can't handle your drop/spring rate then you will bounce.

Therefore, if you're lowered lower than the shock is made for and you have no shock travel......or if your rate is too high for the shock's dampening. That's what causes you to bounce, none of this other stuff. cutting your springs doesn't make you bounce, assuming you match it with shocks that are valved accordingly (since the rate is higher and the shock rod is positioned closer to the bumpstop). No one does that though.

Everything else can be done too...the shocks just have to be matched to it, which no one knows how to do and then they start bouncing. Well...if you're riding on your bumpstops you're not going to find a shock for that...so i'm not going to recommend that one

hope that helps.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I hear Eibach are really good springs so I guess Ill go with those. And it sounds like Koni are better thant Tokico and KYB so I guess Ill go with those.
Also I already have a set of ground controle sway bars, DC rear shock tower bar and comptech front shock tower bar.
Am I missing anything else for the suspensions?
Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
458 Posts
bounce can be caused by combination of bad springs or high spring rated springs & bad shocks.

my ride used to be bouncy as heck, of course, because it was running skunk2 coilovers @ lowest setting w/ stock struct, but a set of koni yellows just resolved all problems. :)

·
Registered
625 Posts
ZeroHeat said:
I hear Eibach are really good springs so I guess Ill go with those. And it sounds like Koni are better thant Tokico and KYB so I guess Ill go with those.
Also I already have a set of ground controle sway bars, DC rear shock tower bar and comptech front shock tower bar.
Am I missing anything else for the suspensions?
Thanks for the help.
you cant go wrong with the Koni Yellows and Eibach Springs. When combined together, they yeild an astounding ride quality...not only you get the drop but the ride is better than stock. You pretty much stiffened up your chassy with those bars...if you do moderate to excessive driving like you autox often then I suggest you upgrade your suspension bushings (like Energy Suspensions Hyperflex System). but if your car is just for daily driving, then youll be fine if not really satisfied with the setup i suggested---best bang for the buck! "Do it right the first time"---"Make your next investment worthy"

iight?
[0ne]NRGsr

·
Registered
147 Posts
Is there a way to have equal suspension performance as all the listed combos above just keeping the stock ride hide? This is regarding a type r.

·
Registered
128 Posts
civic_HP said:
Is there a way to have equal suspension performance as all the listed combos above just keeping the stock ride hide? This is regarding a type r.
Yep. Stock :D

or if you upgrade the shocks, you can make it a little better and/or add dampening adjustability.

To get to the levels of 'ultimate' performance however you'd have to drop it a little...with a matched set of coilovers/dampers. You could probably get away with a max ride height like 3/4" lower than stock with some of these.

·
Registered
625 Posts
civic_HP said:
this ones easy... the ride result will be much better than stock... and you can retain your stock heigh too---the answer:
Full Coilover Setup...
ex: for the Type-R... Tein Type-HAs, Apex'i N1 System, Gab full Coilover Setup, JIC full setup,...the list goes on.... but the best bang for the buck is the Tein Type-HAs... i got mine for $930 out the door (no pillowball uppermounts though---i dont need it)

1 - 20 of 36 Posts