Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, all, im a complete newbie when it comes to accord performance, i have a 95 Accord Sedan LX and its in pretty decent shape, 99 percent stock cept for 18 inch rims and soon to come Eibach Pro springs and KYB AGX, i wanna know is there a way to convert the rear drum to a disc brake, also, what do u guys and gals recommend for a newbie wanting to add some performance but completely reliable still, thanks a lot
Dan

·
Registered
4,608 Posts
converting it to a disk break will not be so... hmm.. how should i say it.. not worth the money?? well dats just me tho, some people will differ

anyways, interms of performance if you want something that reliable with somewhat gains.. you could go with the infamous I/h/e combo.

for intake

AEM CAI

headers

dc 4-2-1 ceramic

exhaust

greddy cat back or any other brand name.

but please know that this is only gain about 6~10hp increase fory your car. very little compared to how much money you have spent for just those 3 aftermarket components. also, get BRAND NAME products, those company worked hard to get that kinda reputation... and the items that they sell reflect such hard work. if you get cheap ass stuff, it will act like a cheap ass stuff. what you pay is what you get... btw you can get great prices on those things on ebay or groupbuycenter.com

·
Registered
4,608 Posts
best bang for buck would definitly be nitrous oxide... if you are smart and use common sense, your engine will last as long as if you didn't have nitrous... well maybe not that long but... yeah~

·
Registered
821 Posts
<<i think brakes are important and i would do the rear brake disc conversion also or get a big brake kit up front>>

i'm doing this next weekend actually...i'll let you all know how it works out. except i found the AEM BBK for hella cheap at this website, but their contact ipage is down, so i'm trying to find out where they are from. does anyone know BOOSTDRIVEN . com??

·
Registered
6 Posts
I got the Aem BBk upfront. It does help the helluva.PLus it's kinda cool wheni have guys with 70 thousand dollar sports cars pull up and complement me on them.

·
Registered
821 Posts
<<I got the Aem BBk upfront. It does help the helluva.PLus it's kinda cool wheni have guys with 70 thousand dollar sports cars pull up and complement me on them.>>

how long have you had them on? any issues with them yet? i've had people tell me they will warp very quickly, but no one actually has them. so what do you think?

·
Super Ban-Finger Mod
21,367 Posts
rawkus2g said:
Hello, all, im a complete newbie when it comes to accord performance, i have a 95 Accord Sedan LX and its in pretty decent shape, 99 percent stock cept for 18 inch rims and soon to come Eibach Pro springs and KYB AGX, i wanna know is there a way to convert the rear drum to a disc brake, also, what do u guys and gals recommend for a newbie wanting to add some performance but completely reliable still, thanks a lot
Dan
to answer your quesiton...There are kits that will convert the rears to discs. the easiest option would be to go w/ the AEM big brake kit w/ rear disc convertion kit. the BEST way to go is to get brembo 16" cross drilled and slotted rotors w/ 6 piston callipers hahaha but that'll cost you about 3grand all the way around the car.

·
Registered
821 Posts
<<the easiest option would be to go w/ the AEM big brake kit w/ rear disc convertion kit.>>

that kit is for civics only. none for the accord, i've checked. just get the parts off the rear suspension of an EX and your set.

·
Super Ban-Finger Mod
21,367 Posts
oh yeah, i forgot that it only was made for civics...damnit. well then in that case, going thru the trouble of changing it as well as costs and a *slight* possibility that it won't be a reliable system if you do a straight crossover might not be worth the effort. but if u do go thru w/ it, then good luck :D

·
Registered
821 Posts
it shouldn't be too much $. don't pay anymore than $250 for the parts and labor should only be 3 or 4 hours at the most. get powerslot or brembo OE sized rear rotors and then from the junkyard get the rear caliper, rear trailing arm and wheel hub, parking brake cables, master cylinder, proportioning valve...yeah that should be it. if you are doing all this, get better brake pads and stainless steel lines and you're set. i'm doing this next weekend, so i'll post pics when i'm done. good luck

·
Registered
821 Posts
yeah, the highest i was quoted was $500 for parts and 4 hours labor, which comes to like $740 ish. the lowest i was quoted was $225 for parts and $150 for labor, but that was just over the border into canada which is way too far for me. i'm paying $250 for parts and 2-3 hours in labor, which should be about $350-400, but i'm getting new pads, new rotors, ss lines, etc...so its worth it to me. just don't get ripped off

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
i appreciate the info, thanks a lot, let me know how your swap works out and if all sounds good i will go ahead and get started... btw does anyone know how well these kits here work, they seem way to cheap, but i need an option that will fit under 14s pref, or at least 15s, im in iowa and i dont plan to run 18s in the snow

·
Registered
821 Posts
well, you get new calipers, but they are stock (?) and you have to return your old ones to get the $100 core charge back. if our stocks are 10, 11 shouldn't make that much difference. i say save your $200 + and just get brembo OE sized rotors for $49 off groupbuycenter.com. if you want cross drilled, slotted, both, or blank...they are all on there. but it's up to you

·
Registered
349 Posts
yeah the aem big brakes up front help a lot...i got a 95 accord LX

and man did that shiet help. o yeah and people do notice them. even past my 18's. haha you watch them look at your rims than start pointing when they notice the huge azz rotors HAHA~!
http://pic4.picturetrail.com/VOL59/713453/1204741/14010734.ptp

thats a link to a pix

·
Registered
228 Posts
I just upgraded my brakes on my 90 Lx from drums to rotors. I went to a local junk yard and picked up the whole rear suspension minus the struts and springs for 250 and installed it myself. It took about 4 hours but it was well worth it. I also upgraded the brake lines to braided stainless steel and changed the fluid to dot 4 synthetic.

There was a big difference in braking power :eek:

·
Registered
578 Posts
h22accordvtec said:
I just upgraded my brakes on my 90 Lx from drums to rotors. I went to a local junk yard and picked up the whole rear suspension minus the struts and springs for 250 and installed it myself. It took about 4 hours but it was well worth it. I also upgraded the brake lines to braided stainless steel and changed the fluid to dot 4 synthetic.

There was a big difference in braking power :eek:
was it hard to install? im planning to do the same thing

1 - 20 of 25 Posts