Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, folks, just had a quick question about my brake light (the one that comes on when the parking brake is engaged). It comes on all the time when I'm driving, but usually goes off after a second or two of braking, only to come on again once I'm going. Does this mean I need to get my brakes checked out, or is there just a sensor that's going a little wacky? My brakes have started squeaking every once in a while, too, but not all the time, and they still work just fine.

It's a 98 accord V6 sedan.

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
jimb213 said:
Hey, folks, just had a quick question about my brake light (the one that comes on when the parking brake is engaged). It comes on all the time when I'm driving, but usually goes off after a second or two of braking, only to come on again once I'm going. Does this mean I need to get my brakes checked out, or is there just a sensor that's going a little wacky? My brakes have started squeaking every once in a while, too, but not all the time, and they still work just fine.

It's a 98 accord V6 sedan.
I had this happen on my 98 civic ex.. my brake fluid was low refilled it and it fixed it for me. hope this helps.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Brake Check, here I come! Depending on how much work I get done tonight, I may have time to stop off tomorrow morning...

Hey, btw, I think I remember reading somewhere here that getting non-honda brakepads (or something like that) screws things up with the braking system. Is that something I need to worry about at a reputable place (brake check, or the place that advertises 100 dollar brake jobs)? Will the major brake places have OEM parts or equivalents?

·
Registered
2,265 Posts
I also remember reading in my old accord manual that they use the "brake" light as an indicator that one of your brake lights/tail light bulbs may be out.
check that too.
:btu

·
Registered
314 Posts
um, your fluid is low. the squeaking is most likely normal, semi-metallic brake pads are almost always going to give you squeak, if you have ceramic you wont have any squeak, however, some times they do get a little squeak depending on the conditions. ur pads should have wear indicators that will cause squeak when time to change pads. this is a very distinct sound tho and you would hear it every time you applied your breaks.

go pick up a bottle of dot 3 or dot 4 brake fluid and top off your system, that should fix your brake light. u should only need the small bottle, cost is around $1.99 at your local auto parts store.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.