Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I installed my red/clears tails today on my 98 civic ex. Couple of weird things going on. At first when i got in the car and tested to make sure everything worked the only thing that i saw was that when the car was off and i hit the brake pedal i got that loud noise, the same noise you get when you open your car door without shutting off you headlights. I get that with the car off. With the car on, if i apply the break both signals come on, but they dont blink they just come on and stay steadily on until i take my foot off the brake. The same goes for the actual lights. When I apply the brake the actual red part of the tail light dims a bit and the amber blinker comes on, on both sides steadily (no blinking), and when i take my foot off the brake the red light stays on nice and bright (when i have the headlights on). The only thing is. Say im driving down the road and i'm going to take a right or left. While i'm braking and both blinkers are on right now like i said just on steadily without blinking, if i turn on either blinker, they will not blink until i take my foot off the brake.
Now I was thinking that it could just be idiot me and wired them wrong, but then i thought wait all it was was a clip, like a plug. So i cant be the that.
Anyone have any suggestions????

·
Registered
227 Posts
sounds like wiring or some fried relays

·
Registered
5,616 Posts
sounds as though your relay is toasted! Without the relay, you will not having blinking. The relay alone will cause all those problems. Check your relays under the hood and make sure they're in good shape.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
djcaseanova said:
sounds as though your relay is toasted! Without the relay, you will not having blinking. The relay alone will cause all those problems. Check your relays under the hood and make sure they're in good shape.
I had bought the tail lights off ebay, but thankgod the seller was procarparts.com so i was able to call, tell them the problem and they said that they would send a replacement pair out to me and i should have them in a couple days, then i just gotta send the old ones back.
Another question i have is. Once i get them and get them working, how do you change the bulbs, i plan on having the superwhite or whatever it is blinkers and backup lights. I think its the same color that most people have for headlights that havent gone HID. I was looking at the bulbs it just didnt look like the actual bulb came out. If someone wants to give me an idea on how to get those out please do. I would greatly appreciate it.

·
Registered
5,616 Posts
I am a bit confused, the actual tail lights should have nothing to do with the problem. The wiring on the car/relays on the car is what the problem is. Did you do anything with the wiring or relays while installing these tail lights?? Or did I completely miss over something a couple times?? replacing just the taillight housings isn't going to change anything.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
djcaseanova said:
I am a bit confused, the actual tail lights should have nothing to do with the problem. The wiring on the car/relays on the car is what the problem is. Did you do anything with the wiring or relays while installing these tail lights?? Or did I completely miss over something a couple times?? replacing just the taillight housings isn't going to change anything.
Ok basicallly, i bought tail lights, inside the tail light is a wiring harness, just like the one on the stock. My stock tail lights the actual bulb are fine. Once I put the new ones on and plugged in the wires thats when the problem started. The new tail lights came with a wiring harness, i didnt use the wires and the harness from the stock tail lights. So basically i just installed them and plugged them in.

·
Registered
5,616 Posts
hmm. I am trying to figure out why they came with a wiring harness. the stock harness should be just fine for all tail lights. Maybe you could not use the wiring harness that came with the tail lights and just use the stock ones? What brand are these tail lights?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts