Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok,this was my post about 2 weeks ago when i got my first set of red/clear tail lights for my 98 civic ex........ I installed my red/clears tails today on my 98 civic ex. Couple of weird things going on. At first when i got in the car and tested to make sure everything worked the only thing that i saw was that when the car was off and i hit the brake pedal i got that loud noise, the same noise you get when you open your car door without shutting off you headlights. I get that with the car off. With the car on, if i apply the break both signals come on, but they dont blink they just come on and stay steadily on until i take my foot off the brake. The same goes for the actual lights. When I apply the brake the actual red part of the tail light dims a bit and the amber blinker comes on, on both sides steadily (no blinking), and when i take my foot off the brake the red light stays on nice and bright (when i have the headlights on). The only thing is. Say im driving down the road and i'm going to take a right or left. While i'm braking and both blinkers are on right now like i said just on steadily without blinking, if i turn on either blinker, they will not blink until i take my foot off the brake.
Now I was thinking that it could just be idiot me and wired them wrong, but then i thought wait all it was was a clip, like a plug. So i cant be the that.
Anyone have any suggestions????

NOW, procarpart.com sent me another brand new set of tail lights. I installed them. The guy on the phone said that there must have been something wrong with the wiring with the first set they sent me. So they sent me a whole new pair and the same exact thing happened. It really dont think its my car because the stock tail lights work no problem when i put them back on. I really dont know what to do anymore.
Please any help would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
6,118 Posts
your first problem was ordering from procarpart.com, a big no no. Second, are you making sure that you are hooking the right things up? No offense or anything, but it does happen. If I were you, get your money back, and then order from someone else, because they screw you over, ive dealt with them before.

·
Registered
7,456 Posts
that is really wierd. You say when you switch to your stocks they work fine? that sounds immpossible since the housing has no electronic parts to it..... definitly sounds like a wiring problem not sure what though... maybe you should try posting this in the electronics section...

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Aesop Rock said:
that is really wierd. You say when you switch to your stocks they work fine? that sounds immpossible since the housing has no electronic parts to it..... definitly sounds like a wiring problem not sure what though... maybe you should try posting this in the electronics section...
Yeah this has happened with both sets of tail lights. I can't be my car because my stock ones work fine and all it is, is a little plug that you just stick into the actual tail lights and there you go. Yes my stock ones work fine.
I actually called procarparts and they are testing the lights out on one of their employee cars (they told me he has a 99 ex) So i'm not sure what to do.
The other thing is, the only reason i ordered these lights from procarparts is because they are the only company that sells red/clear. Everyone else just sells stupid altezza lights that i will would put on my car. I would rather drive around with stock tail lights then put those stupid things on my car. So yeah i really dont know what to do. I highly doubt if they say that they'll send me another pair that they'll actually work. I just dont know what to do.

·
Registered
7,456 Posts
JustinJ14 said:
Yeah this has happened with both sets of tail lights. I can't be my car because my stock ones work fine and all it is, is a little plug that you just stick into the actual tail lights and there you go. Yes my stock ones work fine.
I actually called procarparts and they are testing the lights out on one of their employee cars (they told me he has a 99 ex) So i'm not sure what to do.
The other thing is, the only reason i ordered these lights from procarparts is because they are the only company that sells red/clear. Everyone else just sells stupid altezza lights that i will would put on my car. I would rather drive around with stock tail lights then put those stupid things on my car. So yeah i really dont know what to do. I highly doubt if they say that they'll send me another pair that they'll actually work. I just dont know what to do.
i'm sorry buy that still doesn't add up..... the tailights should have nothing to do with whether or not the bulbs work correctly... gluck..

·
Registered
39,372 Posts
yeah-that makes no sense why that is happening-like previously stated, the fixtures that the bulbs sit in have nothing to do with the electrical aspect of the car-maybe theres a short being caused somewhere??-anyways-g/l-i hope you solve the problem-

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Problem Solved I think

Alright the problem is solved i think. It was a little stupidity on my part and a bad wiring harness by them.
Ok this is what happened. I called and talked to the procarparts people, they said that they had an employee with a 99 civic ex so they went and tried the lights on his car and the same thing happened. The guy then told me that before he called me back to tell me that he was looking through his company emails and i guess there was one that said that, the wiring harness on the red/cear tail lights is faulty and does not work right.
So what i have to do is just take the wiring harness off each of the stock lights and just put in on the red/clears. I didnt know that the harnesses came off or i would have tried that before.
So i'm stupid and procarparts sells products that dont work without special instructions that they dont give you.

GRRRRR....

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Aesop Rock said:
so it was the bulb housing that was messed up?
Yeah it was a manufactures defect in the aftermarket part, and all you do is take the harness off the stock tails

1 - 11 of 11 Posts