Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so i managed to change my pads for the first time. i did the right front and right rear but couldnt do the other side cuz it got dark. some questions...

for the rear, did you guys have to disconnect that hose where the top bolt on the caliper is? and if so, was the hose leaking? because when i undid that bolt to get to the other one, brake fluid was coming out. do i now hve to bleed my brakes?
i didnt know which was that bolt that holds the hose to the suspension arm

second question, when i drove down the block, i pumped my brakes a few times before i drove down the block and noticed my brake light was on. why is this?

when i finish the other two and my brake light is still on, why is this so? just so i can better prepare.

·
Registered
47 Posts
This is a joke, right? You really do not seem too sure of what you are/were doing. Therefore, you should not have attempted to tamper with your braking system.

You should not have disconnected the hose [your brake line] connected to the caliper... unless you were planning on bleeding your brake lines to remove air bubbles which can pose a DANGER to your ability to brake properly.

Your brake light indicates you do not have enough brake fluid in your resavior.

In the future, for your own safety and for the public's safety...do not tamper with critical systems without fully educating yourself or having knowledgable help assisting you.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Yea pull all those hoses...you don't need brake fluid anyway

I don't know what you're thinking trying to mess with your brakes without even having the servic emanual or at least a Haynes...wanna play with your life..that's cool.

I had my pads and SS lines installed at Ultima along with a quick bleed and top off with Motul fluid..bet you my car will stop while yours plows into the hapless guy who was unlucky enough to be in front of you..

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
are youguys fuckin kidding me? i come here to seek answers and iget criticism without answers at least?
this is the kind of shit on boards that is so fuckin wack.
i asked a simple question.

·
Registered
114 Posts
i would like to apologise for my fellow posters, but i can't. i'm getting tired of people asking a question and someone replying with a jerkoff answer.
anyways, you should not have changed the pads on one side like you did. you should have either changed the fronts or the rears. you also should not have taken the brake line off the caliper. this caused you to loose fluid as you noticed. yes the light is on (as someone else did state) because the resivor is low on fluid. you need to install the other pads and bleed the brake lines. then take it to a brake shop and have them reblead the system again. good luck and drive very careful and slow to the shop. joel

·
Registered
19 Posts
Yeah, you shouldn't take your brake lines off the calipers for pad changes. How much fluid leaked out? A little bit of brake fluid shouldn't make much of a difference. If it was a small amount, are you sure you tightened the cap on the brake fluid reservoir? I'd check that first before you take it into a shop. Untighten it and then re-tighten it. Then pump the brakes down half way a few times, not all the way to the floor.

·
Registered
490 Posts
xray11 said:
i would like to apologise for my fellow posters, but i can't. i'm getting tired of people asking a question and someone replying with a jerkoff answer.
anyways, you should not have changed the pads on one side like you did. you should have either changed the fronts or the rears. you also should not have taken the brake line off the caliper. this caused you to loose fluid as you noticed. yes the light is on (as someone else did state) because the resivor is low on fluid. you need to install the other pads and bleed the brake lines. then take it to a brake shop and have them reblead the system again. good luck and drive very careful and slow to the shop. joel
oooh so high-minded and mighty, yet the only answer you can spit is normal COMMON SENSE

stupid questions deserve stupid answers..why would you try and change brakepads by yourself when you don't even know you're not supposed to touch the lines OR that air in the fluid is bad? sorry speedlife..don't expect any sympathy..

·
Registered
114 Posts
i'm sorry i didn't know you were born a mechanical genius. how many times have you tryed to do something that you knew nothing about. how many times did you screw up. so he doesn't know. there is a lot you don't know either. at least he has the guts to ask us. granted he should have done that before he started the task. as for spitting out COMMON SENSE, at least i gave him correct info and not some morons lame answer. if you can't walk the walk then don't talk the talk. in case you can't figure that out, if you don't know the answer then keep your trap shut.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
xray11 said:
thanks, only reason why i only could do two pads was cuz it got dark. i didnt drive the car till the next morning but only drove it down the block tha tnight just to make sure nothing was weird. right after i saw the brake light i put more fluid in. went away. next morning did my pads but this time it was much quicker and easier. i had to take that brake line off cuz my wrench wouldnt fit in there, didnt have the right tool.
bled my brakes last nite with a mityvac tool and everything is cool now. thanks!

·
Registered
232 Posts
In the future for the rear brake pad change there is a small connection bolt that holds the middle of the softline to the rear control arm just follow the line from the caliper back and you will run into it. If you remove this bolt first you will have alot of extra movement for the caliper when it is removed from the assembly.

I'm glad to see you got the brake issue resolved.

And for those of you dissy on speedlife for asking a brake question. I hope you don't ever post a question on this site again. If you do I hope no one answers it and hores your thread to no end. His question was honest, legable, and actually composed in some for of english unlike most post. I could only wish other did the same.

·
Registered
114 Posts
a man of my own words. glad to see someone else feels the same way i do about people needing a question answered, to only have everyone post some lame answer.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Guys, I fail to see how anything in my response needs to be apologized for. I did provide solid answers to most of his questions.

However, I must respectfully disagree with your assertions about the tone of the responses. You seem to seek opinions/answers to legitimize/validate irresponsible/dangerous actions. I guess this is where the phrase, "Stupid is as stupid does", comes from. This IS NOT meant to personally call ANYONE stupid, but rather to get people to think about the consequences of their actions.

The fact is, you should NEVER tamper with safety systems, i.e., the braking system without educating yourself FIRST. This is like a doctor whos committed malpractice saying, "Oooops, my bad!" Its just not acceptable. Speedlife could have possibly killed/injured himself or some other innocent motorist.

If you do a search for the post, I was personally seeking advice on changing brakes myself not too long ago. I got assistance FIRST. In fact, I had a certified mechanic with me [friend of a friend] right by my side walking me through the procedures step by step as he explained everything to me. This included the level of the brake fluid and how it would be affected.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Dredawg said:
Guys, I fail to see how anything in my response needs to be apologized for. I did provide solid answers to most of his questions.

However, I must respectfully disagree with your assertions about the tone of the responses. You seem to seek opinions/answers to legitimize/validate irresponsible/dangerous actions. I guess this is where the phrase, "Stupid is as stupid does", comes from. This IS NOT meant to personally call ANYONE stupid, but rather to get people to think about the consequences of their actions.

The fact is, you should NEVER tamper with safety systems, i.e., the braking system without educating yourself FIRST. This is like a doctor whos commited malpractice saying, "Oooops, my bad!" It just not acceptable. Speedlife could have possibly killed/injured himself or some other innocent motorist.

If you do a search for the post, I was personally seeking advice on changing brakes myself not too long ago. I got assistance FIRST. In fact, I had a certified mechanic with me [friend of a friend] right by my side walking me through the procedures step by step as he explained everythinig to me. This included the level of the brake fluid and how it would be affected.
your response was fine...thanks for your help

1 - 14 of 14 Posts