Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 68 Posts

· Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Brake questions...

i just bought some brembo brake disks and i wasnt sure what brake pads would go well with that for max performance. i was thinking greenstuff, but honestly i dont know the slightest think about brakes and brake pads.

im assuming i can run with my stock calipers, but if it really makes a difference i might get some new ones.

how much do the greenstuff pads run? and how would some 4 piston calipers run?

ALSO, i was thinking about converting my rear drums (i have a 97 civic) to gsr disk brakes. anyone know if they bolt in or not? and how much that'll run me?

as you can tell, im paranoid about getting ripped off, since if had some bad experiences with that. for some reason i always get quoted "high" when i call in places. i wonder if its b/c im a girl

· Registered
547 Posts
Greenstuff pads are pretty good pads. Almost no brake dust, made of Kevlar. They run about $50.00 per axle. As for for 4 piston calipers thats up to you. Do you plan on hitting the skid pad anytime soon? What size are the brembo rotors? Four piston calipers are a good upgrade but if driving a daily driver not necessary!

here are some other opinions:

http://www.superhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=2160&highlight=gsr+brake

Hope I was of some help!

· Registered
1,221 Posts
greenstuff are good pads and stop well even when cold.....for your civic they should be about $59 or so for the front pads.....and good choice on the brembo blank rotors. also for the GSR rear disc conversion i'd check out www.fastbrakes.com and he also sells a set of wilwood calipers for the front you might be interested in.

ps...i have greenstuff pads, and the thing about them not dusting....is not true, mine dust a lot.

· Registered
136 Posts
RE:

You got the BREMBO OEM rotor? My BREMBO OEM rotor warp faster than stock rotor. I have Powerslot rotors now, and I have them warp on me for the 2nd time now. oh well.... It really depends on how you drive.

For the 4 piston caliper, BREMBO Braking kits goes around 2000 and up. AP Racing 6 pistion Caliper and rotors goes around 4000. Wilwood is pretty good and cheap, for street use, Wilwood is probably your best bet. The Brembo, and AP Racing are for racing purpose.

As for pads, I go for Performance Friction Carbon Metalic, or Porterfield R4S Carbon Cavelar.
The Porterfield R4S is very very good pads, takes a little time to warm up though. They don't usually fade, even under extremely hard driving condition on the track. You probably will boil your brake fluid b4 you cook your pads. Also, very little brake dust. Should give it a try, but they are expensive though. I think somewhere around 80~90 bucks per pair. Not cheap, but worth it!

Just my experience

· Registered
131 Posts
Check out the Endless NA-Y Pads, they are $136 a pair, but worth it, I had them before my AEM's and they work probably twice as good, but also over twice the cost of AEM Pads- you get what you pay for.

· Registered
1,017 Posts
Porterfield makes good pads. I have PBR (Axis) pads front and rear right now. They have worked really well for me.

· Registered
63 Posts
That One Girl:

You are pretty close to the Porterfield home offices...

I drove down there to adorn my freshly installed big brake conversions with their R4S pads, and they made me a good deal. They like to see their customers in person-- Good pads, good company. My two cents..

-brian

· Registered
63 Posts
Tee hee! Smells like deadly methane is being pumped by the bucket-full into the delicate atmospheric layer of our sunny California coastline--the unmistakable calling card of a B18C1/CRX--black--with....with...*sniff *sniff...16" bronze Volk Racing TE-37's.

...Sinner. ;)

Still awaiting your call--operators ARE standing by, hehe.

-b

· Registered
136 Posts
RE:

WHATA~~~~~~~~~~~UP~~~~~~~~~ KrAnKyKrEmE ~~~~~~~~ Long time no see....

Is it because of me?
I sorta show up again...and there comes an other old faces... hum...

BTW, of all the pads I can get, I will go back with Porterfield R4S again!! Of all the pads I had tried, Porterfield is the only pads that's easy on my rotors. Performance Friction Carbon Metalic pads that I am using now warp my Powerslot rotor for the 2nd time!! :( Plus the brake dust from Perfromance Friction isn't that much, but they do hurt my rims.. :( Also, when you clean up your wheels, you can feel the metal dust... eek...

TWO THUMBS UP FOR PORTERFIELD R4S!

For the Endless NA-Y Pad, it's ok for for street performance, but if you are gonna hammer on the pad, they don't stand a chance, at least that's with me. I cook NA-Y b4.. :p Initial contact of the pads is great. You don't really need to warm up the brakes to get the most of the braking power out of this pad. That's pretty good for street use, consider that you don't really need lots of warm up time for the pads. It's the initial braking power that's way better than stock. You can feel it when you just step on the brakes. But then after that, it feels about the same as stock. This pads is pretty consistant. working temp range is 50~350C. that's not too bad. But for serious driving, or track events, this pad is out of question.

· Registered
63 Posts
Haha...you know i came back just for you--

I took some pictures of my car if you wanna see them. I have a .zip file that has several of them, which i believe i've already sent to Jungljunki. They include pictures of my sexy, sexy interior, and my new tires/wheels/brakes:

215/45/16 Falken Azenis Tires which wrap around
16x7.5 Kosei K1s (which i had to buy to fit over....)
Wilwood 13" Big Brake Kit (Front)
Brembo OE 11.5" Rear Rotor with Fastbrakes Stock Caliper Relocator
Porterfield R4S Pads front and back

The Porterfield pads work wonders in the back, but aren't potent enough for the front. I think that i'm gonna go back to the Wilwood Polymatrix pads in front, to work those huge cross-drilled/slotted rotors. When i had them in at first, the stopping power was so profound that i hit the brakes with Prelude_Styl riding shotgun, and he screamed out loud. It's fun to feel your eyeballs getting sucked out of your skull whenever you hit the middle pedal.

-b

· Registered
136 Posts
RE:

Damn.... I need some MONEY~~~~

My car runs like shit now.. :(

tranny is going, altinator is about dead, chassis is twisted, battery is almost gone, brake lines are old, rotors are wrap, tires are almost gone....etc

it's a 6 year old car... it's old... time for a new car now...

yoo, you got ICQ or MSN messenger anything like that? hit me up with those files...

BTW, I got Best Motoring VCD with the new ITR(RSX Type R) and Civic Type R... that's some interesting video... he he

· Registered
63 Posts
i only have AIM...but i can send you the file via e-mail...what's your address these days?

(Oh, and i found out that my chasis is twisted too...i have NO idea how it GOT twisted, but it is. I suppose that it's just our punishment for being so hopelessly addicted to telepathic handling. I just need to wait it out for about another year and Brian goes from being lowly "IntegraBoy" to mighty "E36 M3boy")

-b

1 - 20 of 68 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.