Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 00 accord coup EX and I am having problems with the brakes... It started off with a squeaking noise whenever I braked lightly and it only got worse. A friend of mine told me to put some WD40 on it and it worked like a charm for about 6 hours. After about 20 minutes of driving my brakes started steaming (I'm guessing the WD40 was evaporating) and now the squeak is back. This has become quite annoying and I am looking for some input on what I should do. Is the overheating of the brake discs like that normal? To see how hot it was i sprayed some water on it and it completely evaporated... What do you guys think I should do?

·
Registered
44 Posts
jonnixdude said:
I have a 00 accord coup EX and I am having problems with the brakes... It started off with a squeaking noise whenever I braked lightly and it only got worse. A friend of mine told me to put some WD40 on it and it worked like a charm for about 6 hours. After about 20 minutes of driving my brakes started steaming (I'm guessing the WD40 was evaporating) and now the squeak is back. This has become quite annoying and I am looking for some input on what I should do. Is the overheating of the brake discs like that normal? To see how hot it was i sprayed some water on it and it completely evaporated... What do you guys think I should do?
First off: YOU should not even be allowed to drive if you took someone's advice to spray WD-40 on your brakes......dude do you know how brakes work? It's a lil thing called fiction, and WD-40 is like liquid anti-friction. Do the math. Basically, that squealing noise you hear (only when you press the brakes) is the wear indicator. So, yes, you do need new brakes, and pouring water on hot brake rotors is the quickest way to warp them.....For everyone's safety please don't do more then refuel your car.

Other causes of brake squeal (the most common auitomotive complaint)
*Dirt, grease, or debris on the rotor or brake pads
*Rotors that have formed an edge that is coming in contact with the caliper
*Excessive movement of the brake pad (missing brake shim)
*shittiest of all-cheap brakes Yes, you get what you paid for)

Sorry if I came off as being a dick, but reading that just horrified me! :noo

·
Super Ban-Finger Mod
21,366 Posts
jonnixdude said:
To see how hot it was i sprayed some water on it and it completely evaporated... What do you guys think I should do?
congratulations...you just warped your rotor :idiots

didn't you learn ANYTHING from basic science in jr. high? it's moving fast, your applying friction on it...the car's heavy...OOO I THINK ITS GOING TO BE COLD! wtf?! shittiest reasoning ever....then you know it's hot, but yet you try to put something cold on it...didn't they teach you about that shit in grade school?

what do they teach kids nowadays?

·
Registered
44 Posts
jonnixdude said:
lol funny guy

so rain would kill ur brakes..... and any kind of lubricant or brake grease is recommended for the backs of brake pads
Yes, on THE BACK OF THE BRAKE PADS dummie. Even then you can't pile on a glob of that shit or else it will melt under the heat and get on the friction material side or on your rotors.

You can't cure stupid.

I got an A in Brakes ;)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.