Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
when im standing in neutral. (idle) and i hold the break my rmp goes down and back up. and then i can feel my break pedal going down all the way to the bottom. does this mean i need a new vacum with the cylinder? how long can i drive the car like this. i usally never hold the break pedal that long anyway. am i safe? haha

·
Registered
145 Posts
master cylinder time, baby! on a 92-95 civic, 30 minutes tops, including bleeding every wheel... if you need help with putting one in, p.m. me! and if it's not the m.c., i will feel like a big, fat, douche! :D

·
Registered
145 Posts
_Kr4nG_ said:
how much for a master cylinder. i think me and my dad can manage thanks for help though. is it around 200 bucks?? thats to much for me
i got mine at autozone for 34 dollars brand new w/ lifetime warranty, that was with my employee discount though(20%)

·
Registered
145 Posts
no, that's the reservoir, mine was w/ a new reservoir, w/out is cheaper but more of a hassle, remember to bench bleed it before you put it on...(the new cylinder)

·
Registered
145 Posts
no, that is completely different, the booster is a big black circle thing mounted on your firewall, where the steering column is. the master cylinder is the thing that your reservoir is sitting on, it's kinda like a metal tube but w/ brake lines(2) running to it...

·
Registered
145 Posts
the arm thingy is the master cylinder, it's not very big, don't let the name fool you, and no, don't worry about the booster, just check the vaccum lines on it, replace if neccesary, and be done with it!

·
Registered
145 Posts
what year is your civic, what trim, w/ abs?

·
Registered
20,271 Posts
_Kr4nG_ said:
when im standing in neutral. (idle) and i hold the break my rmp goes down and back up. and then i can feel my break pedal going down all the way to the bottom. does this mean i need a new vacum with the cylinder? how long can i drive the car like this. i usally never hold the break pedal that long anyway. am i safe? haha
that normal...ive seen it on alot of cars. ive seen it even shut off. i have had cars come in and the car would shut off hen u step on the brake pedal too hard.

when you apply the brakes. the iac motor is supposed to go up a bit from the extra load. usually what i do is remove it..clean it. then reset ecu.

give it a try. i never seen a MC or booster cause that

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
my ecu is brand new. i got it chipped not even a month ago. what can i do with the vacum lines. just check them or clean them is that what you mean. i dont have that much experiance with this stuff. im guessing my best bet is to buy the master cylinder and if the pedal still goes down ill buy the booster too right. what does the booster do anyway. is that connected with the vacum?
its a civic dx 95 no abs.

·
Registered
145 Posts

·
Registered
20,271 Posts
_Kr4nG_ said:
my ecu is brand new. i got it chipped not even a month ago. what can i do with the vacum lines. just check them or clean them is that what you mean. i dont have that much experiance with this stuff. im guessing my best bet is to buy the master cylinder and if the pedal still goes down ill buy the booster too right. what does the booster do anyway. is that connected with the vacum?
its a civic dx 95 no abs.
mc is for brake pressure....booster is for braking assistant without the booster...pedal will be hard like a rock.

have u tried a stock ecu yet?

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
ecu? all my ecu is chipped to do is to turn vtec on earlier and two step at 4 grand. cause i was told i got type r cams so the guy was like lets turn vtec on a bit earlier. the problem is that my pedal slowly goes down. i dont know exactly what it could be

·
Registered
20,271 Posts
_Kr4nG_ said:
ecu? all my ecu is chipped to do is to turn vtec on earlier and two step at 4 grand. cause i was told i got type r cams so the guy was like lets turn vtec on a bit earlier. the problem is that my pedal slowly goes down. i dont know exactly what it could be
the guy is an idiot...vtec cams are meant to engage later at higher RPM.

you said ur idle moves up and down so if you noticed this happening after your ecu was chipped then that would most likely affect it. the ecu is chipped but you never know what exactly they did as in what type of program they have in there.

as for the pedal...i would say bleed the brakes if that dont fix it...check ur wheel cylnders and then if theres no small leakage there. i would check master cylinder and if you dont any leaks, replace the MC

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.