Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i'm planning on upgrading my brakes, so i'm wondering what are my best choices brand-wise...i did a search on it already and some ppl say AEM brake pads with brembo O.E. rotors....just wanted to see what else you guys suggest...btw i have a 94 accord EX

· Registered
1,125 Posts
nightkid said:
i'm planning on upgrading my brakes, so i'm wondering what are my best choices brand-wise...i did a search on it already and some ppl say AEM brake pads with brembo O.E. rotors....just wanted to see what else you guys suggest...btw i have a 94 accord EX
I just ordered this set-up for the front, $112 shipped to my house from Nopi. I also bought some ATE superblue brake fluid too.

For a street car this all you really need.

· Registered
39,372 Posts
don't you have to upgrade both the front and rear...or it doesn't really matter...how come you just got the set-up for the front
most of the braking is done from the front of the car-i think its 70% in the front and 30% in the rear-thats why the front is usually the only one upgraded.-btw-i heard that the aem rotors warp easily.

· Registered
35 Posts
- brembo slotted or powerslot (or crossdrilled)

* fronts $149/shipped
* rears $145/shipped

- carbon brake pads $35-55/pair

- stainless lines

* $109/shipped

- new brake fluid (don't know the name of the company, but I know high performance shops usually carry an assortment) $5 - $20 depending

Approxiametly $350-$650 (depending on just parts or parts and installation)

Prices with the * are actual quotes from http://www.southwestautoworks.com

or if you feel they need to do a little more than that, STILLEN Brake Systems are pretty damn nice (yes I know this is a wide know Nissan Tuner, but they are trying to get into all imports... and the brakes are top notch)

Good luck!

· Registered
1,125 Posts
Lazyassmonkey said:
don't you have to upgrade both the front and rear...or it doesn't really matter...how come you just got the set-up for the front
My front rotors are warped, my rears are still fine, and like already mentioned most of the breaking is done by the front brakes.

When the rear needs rotors I will be probably upgrade them though.

· Registered
349 Posts
dude i have aem big brakes...they are REALLY NICE MAN.....with aem brake pads too..omi godd i noticed a BIGGGGG difference like REALLY big....its like you can almost feel the grooves of the slotted part kick in and stop your car...=) and they look good..

here's a pix.

· Registered
1,125 Posts
HToWnAccoRd said:
dude i have aem big brakes...they are REALLY NICE MAN.....with aem brake pads too..omi godd i noticed a BIGGGGG difference like REALLY big....its like you can almost feel the grooves of the slotted part kick in and stop your car...=) and they look good..

here's a pix.

The slots don't stop the car they just help with off gasing and brake dust which is not a concern for a street car :rolleyes:

That feel is the slots eating your pads.

· Registered
349 Posts
i know....thats why i said...it feels lliike.

· Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
so aem brake pads good or not??? if not which ones are good for just improved stopping over stock brake pads?? i just feel that my brakes don't stop as good as i want them to, so just wondering..oh btw, what does stainless steel brake lines do?? and i don't do any racing so nothing too crazy for the brakes.

· Registered
93 Posts
I would say just upgrade the rotors to slotted or cross drilled and stick w/ the OEM brake pads. Brake pads are brake pads. They will eventually get worn out. So why spend the extra money when you kno you will have to replace them later?

· Registered
349 Posts
how much is the dealer selling you the pads for? i payed 60 flat. at Carboy of houston.

· Registered
1,125 Posts
Thane said:
I would say just upgrade the rotors to slotted or cross drilled and stick w/ the OEM brake pads. Brake pads are brake pads. They will eventually get worn out. So why spend the extra money when you kno you will have to replace them later?
Aem pads can be had for around $50, so why pay more for oem when aem is just a high performance pad made by Nissin who makes oem.

· Registered
685 Posts
Thane said:
Oh, my gosh, that is the COMPLETELY OPPOSITE of what I'd recommend. Pads are what makes the difference. Try this: 1) get different rotors with OEM pads and then try 2) OEM rotors with different pads. Tell me which you'll really notice and feel. It's obviously 1). DO NOT GO WITH CROSS-DRILLED ROTORS. How many times do people have to say that? If you're heavy on your brakes, cross-drilled rotors are more likely to crack and warp. If you get bigger rotors, then it's less of an issue on whether they will warp or crack, but for OE-sized rotors, get slotted or just blank.

Get Hawk pads. And you'll be fine. If you need new rotors, get Brembo blanks from www.groupbuycenter.com or from www.summitracing.com. They're fine. AEM big rotors tend to warp a lot by the way.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.