Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
39,372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive replaced my rotors and pads twice on my 95 accord already. after 15-20 k miles, the rotors start to warp, and i get a vibration when i tap the brake at higher speeds. local/slower driving is pretty much ok. anyway, its been about 45k miles since ive changed the rotors, and the pads are getting worn so i plan to do this in the next 2 weeks or so.

Ive done some research, and brembo blanks seem to be the favorite around here. ive only had experience with oem rotors/pads, and they have all warped on me. do you guys think that the brembos will hold up better?? ive heard that hawk pads are the way to go as well. i was originally thinking about a big brake kit (11.4" rotor and that bracket that allows you to use your stock caliper) but i have some serious doubts about that. I figure just quality rotors, pads, bleeding the brakes, and possibly steel braided brake lines would do some justice. any input/suggestions on any other type of rotors or pads?? any input on the brembo blanks/hawk pads? thanks.

·
Registered
11,248 Posts
Rotors don't actually *warp*. The idea of warped rotors actually comes from an uneven build-up of brake pad material on the brake disc itself. So you end up with hills and valleys of brake pad material and when you apply the brakes the pads are hitting these hills/valleys which is the pulsation you feel and everyone calls it warped rotors.

With that said, just about any rotor will do. I've had good experiences with brembo blanks *AS LONG AS* I was using a good brake pad. So go with the brembo blanks, and I would recommend a set of carbotech bobcats (*EXCELLENT* street/auto-x pad). You can get the bobcats from www.carbotecheng.com Give those guys a call, Matt and Larry know their stuff.

·
Registered
39,372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
kommon_sense said:
Rotors don't actually *warp*. The idea of warped rotors actually comes from an uneven build-up of brake pad material on the brake disc itself. So you end up with hills and valleys of brake pad material and when you apply the brakes the pads are hitting these hills/valleys which is the pulsation you feel and everyone calls it warped rotors.

With that said, just about any rotor will do. I've had good experiences with brembo blanks *AS LONG AS* I was using a good brake pad. So go with the brembo blanks, and I would recommend a set of carbotech bobcats (*EXCELLENT* street/auto-x pad). You can get the bobcats from www.carbotecheng.com Give those guys a call, Matt and Larry know their stuff.
thanks for the help kommon...btw-you think that a quality set of rotors and pads will indeed "prevent" those hills and valleys on the rotors? i mean, its a pain to replace rotors on the 5th gen accords. also, i drive the car hard on occasion, and am dropping an h22 in very soon; so do you think a stock rotor size (like brembo) with good pads would be sufficient?

·
Registered
11,248 Posts
No, because it is the pad itself that is leading to these hills/valleys. I had a set of powerslot rotors with aem pads... warped them... kept the pads, bought some brembo blanks, warped them too... Next time bought some more blanks with carbotech pads... That was about 2+yrs ago... haven't had a warped rotor since.

This is just my opinion, but I believe that slotted/drilled rotors can lead to warped rotors quicker because if they are not properly made they can lead to uneven pad wear.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.