Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

· Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My car has a breather hose that runs from the valve cover into the air intake tube going to the throttle body. Now if i spray up stream from that will it blow some nitrous into the valve cover? Would it be a good idea to switch to a breather filter right off tha valve cover. And block that hole off.

· Premium Member
23,755 Posts
The breather is never pulling vacuum under full throttle so there is no possiblity that nitrous will go into the engine.

you can always use a filter if you like but it's really not neccessary
x2

· Registered
304 Posts
or spray downstream of it if length allows, but,like mac8008 said, it's not gonna go in there, so basically, do what makes you feel warm and fuzzy, better your way and right than someone elses and wrong

· Registered
10,346 Posts
Uh, you need that hose between the air intake and VC. The intake sucks air, and in doing so removes the pressure built up in the cylinder head. If it was unnecessary Honda would not have wasted the effort to put that there. That also is a source for wasted gas fumes, but does have a tendency to have a bit of oil spray on a higher mileage motor.

Leave the hose connected between the intake and VC. :btu

Im not trying to start anything, Im simply stating a fact.

· Registered
304 Posts
not trying to get in an argument with you, but they do make mini filters that go on the valve cover. theres no reason to put one on and delete the hose running between the intake tube and valve cover just because u want to, but in certain situations, it's a viable option, and sometimes it's a must.

· Registered
10,346 Posts
not trying to get in an argument with you, but they do make mini filters that go on the valve cover. theres no reason to put one on and delete the hose running between the intake tube and valve cover just because u want to, but in certain situations, it's a viable option, and sometimes it's a must.
The mini filters are a decoration item. You do realize that in addition to the pressure relieving, it also helps emissions by recycling wasted fumes back into the engine to be burnt.

Just voicing my opinion :btu

· Premium Member
23,755 Posts
Uh, you need that hose between the air intake and VC. The intake sucks air, and in doing so removes the pressure built up in the cylinder head. If it was unnecessary Honda would not have wasted the effort to put that there. That also is a source for wasted gas fumes, but does have a tendency to have a bit of oil spray on a higher mileage motor.

Leave the hose connected between the intake and VC. :btu

Im not trying to start anything, Im simply stating a fact.
it doesnt serve a performance purpose going back into the intake..it actually hurts performance, per se, by running hot air back through the intake..its an emissions item mainly. And the oil spray is a common occurance..also not a performance boost.

· Registered
10,346 Posts
I know its not a performance item. And it doesnt really suck in enough hot air to hurt performance either.

I stand by what I say. Do what you want. After all it is your car dude. You aint gotta listen to me.

· Premium Member
23,755 Posts
I know its not a performance item. And it doesnt really suck in enough hot air to hurt performance either.

I stand by what I say. Do what you want. After all it is your car dude. You aint gotta listen to me.
I was pretty much agreeing with everything you said...but it does pull hot air..and how much it hurts is debateable...but it doesnt help.

· Registered
10,346 Posts
I was pretty much agreeing with everything you said...but it does pull hot air..and how much it hurts is debateable...but it doesnt help.
Ehh, i wouldnt worry about it, our super uber high output, torquey motors would never know the difference.:D

· Registered
10,346 Posts
breather filters are stupid /thread
Ehh, they look alright, Im just not sure they actually serve a purpose, much like most bodykits available.<< most kits arent even aero tested? however that goes

· Registered
304 Posts
a breather filter is stupid if it's the only mod u have or if it has no reason to be there, but if you have a turbo or supercharger on a car, it's not stupid. (to wvu97gs-r: not the pcv tube/valve, the one that just runs from the valve cover to the intake tube)

· Registered
10,346 Posts
if you're referring to pcv. (positive crank case venitlation) then a breather compromises that.
Thankyou, I was scratching my head trying to figure out something to show for my opinion

repped

Reactions: Darkness

· Premium Member
23,755 Posts
Ehh, i wouldnt worry about it, our super uber high output, torquey motors would never know the difference.:D
thats why i said its debateable..but yea..they never know the diff..lol

· Premium Member
29,824 Posts
a breather filter is stupid if it's the only mod u have or if it has no reason to be there, but if you have a turbo or supercharger on a car, it's not stupid. (to wvu97gs-r: not the pcv tube/valve, the one that just runs from the valve cover to the intake tube)
yes it is. i have a turbo car. it should go to a catchcan or should be circulated into the intake

PCV valve - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

the hose that runs from the that to the intake is the pcv. atleast it is on my car.

· Premium Member
29,824 Posts
a breather filter doesn't compromise a pcv system..
then why is it plumbed into the intake from the factory it's an emissions part there to prevent distribution of harmful gasses and oil blow discharge into the atmosphere. tell me how removing the hose on a pressurized system just to put an advanced auto filter in place of it doesn't compromise the systems function?

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.