Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 35 of 35 Posts

· Premium Member
23,755 Posts

· Premium Member
29,824 Posts
positive crankcase vent refers to the crankcase being under vacuum. Now please explain how a breather filter would affect that?
remove the hose remove the vacuum. it's pressurised via the intake hence why it is plumbed back into it. intake causes suction aka VACUUM. tell me how a ventilated filter creates a vacuum

· Registered
512 Posts
remove the hose remove the vacuum. it's pressurised via the intake hence why it is plumbed back into it. intake causes suction aka VACUUM. tell me how a ventilated filter creates a vacuum
that's completely incorrect.....

if you looked in the helms, you can see the flow direction of the pcv system. There too you will find what you just said is wrong.

· Registered
10,346 Posts

if you looked in the helms, you can see the flow direction of the pcv system. There too you will find what you just said is wrong.

Try pinching that hose between the intake and the PCV valve. Hear a click? vacuum lose due to you preventing pressure from pulling or pushing something.

The click is the ball in the PCV DROPPING, hence vacuum sucking it TOWARDS the intake.

Helms isnt always right. Always consult MULTIPLE resources when working on a car or gathering info.

· Registered
10,346 Posts
And for all those who think helms is the shit, I have one for mt old EF, and one for my del sol, both have the same exact block and head, but each manual has differt torque specs for a lot of the bolts.

This is why is a good idea to spend the big bucks on a model specific manual and not a generation specific manual

/Rant

· Registered
512 Posts
Try pinching that hose between the intake and the PCV valve. Hear a click? vacuum lose due to you preventing pressure from pulling or pushing something.

The click is the ball in the PCV DROPPING, hence vacuum sucking it TOWARDS the intake.

Helms isnt always right. Always consult MULTIPLE resources when working on a car or gathering info.
I agree.....

That has nothing to do with what I said....
a breather filter doesn't compromise the pcv system.

The vacuum comes for the the intake manifold and not the breather. So when using a breather filter, it's still possible to have positive crankcase ventilation.

· Registered
10,346 Posts
I agree.....

That has nothing to do with what I said....
a breather filter doesn't compromise the pcv system.

The vacuum comes for the the intake manifold and not the breather. So when using a breather filter, it's still possible to have positive crankcase ventilation.

A breather filter removes that hose from the system, considering that hose is the only thing that relives proper pressure build up from the highest point of the VC, it in fact DOES compromise the system. NOpressure= no pcv system pressure. You think the pcv goes from the block istelf? it doesn dude. Comes from the intake manifold and through there , there is a port that meets another port on teh block.

My advice, if you keep trying to prove to me or others that a filter doesnt compromise the system, find some proof. Ive given my thoery and I think im correct, however Im still waiting for a solid arguement upon the filters effect on the system.

Google that, dude, help us out :btu

· Registered
10,346 Posts
PCV Positive Crankcase Ventilation,---valve

part of the same system lol, But the thing is not only emissions, it also helps to keep the engine cleaner, not by much, but that was the original intention of the system when they developed it. They later found that it also reduces emissions by using the system, hence why it is in use by every car.

· Premium Member
29,824 Posts
A breather filter removes that hose from the system, considering that hose is the only thing that relives proper pressure build up from the highest point of the VC, it in fact DOES compromise the system. NOpressure= no pcv system pressure. You think the pcv goes from the block istelf? it doesn dude. Comes from the intake manifold and through there , there is a port that meets another port on teh block.

My advice, if you keep trying to prove to me or others that a filter doesnt compromise the system, find some proof. Ive given my thoery and I think im correct, however Im still waiting for a solid arguement upon the filters effect on the system.

thank you.

your motor won't blow up if you put a breather on but it doesn't help your system. however small a percentage of a hinderance it may be, it still compromising the intended function on the system. you think the automotive companies sat there and said lets add a pointless hose to complicate things even more for shits and giggles?

it plumbs usually from a catch can back into the intake to recirculate spent gasses and oil that may make it's way up there.

· Premium Member
29,824 Posts

oh really?

pcv = possitive crankcase ventilation or a pcv valve.

"PCV system
The PCV valve is only one part of the PCV system, which is essentially a variable and calibrated air leak, whereby the engine returns its crankcase combustion gases. Instead of the gases being vented to the atmosphere, gases are fed back into the intake manifold, to re-enter the combustion chamber as part of a fresh charge of air and fuel. The PCV system is not a classical "vacuum leak." All the air collected by the air cleaner (and metered by the mass air flow sensor, on a fuel injected engine) goes through the intake manifold. The PCV system just diverts a small percentage of this air via the breather to the crankcase before allowing it to be drawn back in to the intake tract again. It is an "open system" in that fresh exterior air is continuously used to flush contaminants from the crankcase and into the combustion chamber.

The system relies on the fact that, while the engine is running, the intake manifold's air pressure is always less than crankcase air pressure. The lower pressure of the intake manifold draws air towards it, pulling air from the breather through the crankcase (where it dilutes and mixes with combustion gases), through the PCV valve, and into the intake manifold.

The PCV system consists of the breather tube and the PCV valve. The breather tube connects the crankcase to a clean source of fresh air, such as the air cleaner body. Usually, clean air from the air cleaner flows in to this tube and in to the engine after passing through a screen, baffle, or other simple system to arrest a flame front, to prevent a potentially explosive atmosphere within the engine crank case from being ignited from a back-fire in to the intake manifold. The baffle, filter, or screen also traps oil mist, and keeps it inside the engine.

Once inside the engine, the air circulates around the interior of the engine, picking up and clearing away combustion byproduct gases, including a large amount of water vapor, then exits through a simple baffle, screen or mesh to trap oil droplets before being drawn out through the PCV valve, and into the intake manifold."

air is "pulled through" via the intake, hence it being a pressurized system. that's what the hose back to the intake tract does. removing the hose and putting a simple breather filter on compromises this process.

· Registered
512 Posts
oh really?

pcv = possitive crankcase ventilation or a pcv valve.

"PCV system
The PCV valve is only one part of the PCV system, which is essentially a variable and calibrated air leak, whereby the engine returns its crankcase combustion gases. Instead of the gases being vented to the atmosphere, gases are fed back into the intake manifold, to re-enter the combustion chamber as part of a fresh charge of air and fuel. The PCV system is not a classical "vacuum leak." All the air collected by the air cleaner (and metered by the mass air flow sensor, on a fuel injected engine) goes through the intake manifold. The PCV system just diverts a small percentage of this air via the breather to the crankcase before allowing it to be drawn back in to the intake tract again. It is an "open system" in that fresh exterior air is continuously used to flush contaminants from the crankcase and into the combustion chamber.

The system relies on the fact that, while the engine is running, the intake manifold's air pressure is always less than crankcase air pressure. The lower pressure of the intake manifold draws air towards it, pulling air from the breather through the crankcase (where it dilutes and mixes with combustion gases), through the PCV valve, and into the intake manifold.

The PCV system consists of the breather tube and the PCV valve. The breather tube connects the crankcase to a clean source of fresh air, such as the air cleaner body. Usually, clean air from the air cleaner flows in to this tube and in to the engine after passing through a screen, baffle, or other simple system to arrest a flame front, to prevent a potentially explosive atmosphere within the engine crank case from being ignited from a back-fire in to the intake manifold. The baffle, filter, or screen also traps oil mist, and keeps it inside the engine.

Once inside the engine, the air circulates around the interior of the engine, picking up and clearing away combustion byproduct gases, including a large amount of water vapor, then exits through a simple baffle, screen or mesh to trap oil droplets before being drawn out through the PCV valve, and into the intake manifold."

air is "pulled through" via the intake, hence it being a pressurized system. that's what the hose back to the intake tract does. removing the hose and putting a simple breather filter on compromises this process.
Yes, really!!!!

I'm not gonna waste my time reading something you found off the internet..... If I wanted to do that, I can do it myself.

I stated to you......
Your explanation of airflow and vacuum for the pcv system are incorrect and if you would open the helm's manual you will see your wrong.

What does that garbage you posted above have anything to do with that????

· Registered
512 Posts

What your saying doesn't even make sense. It just proves that you don't understand how a pcv system works.

THE POINT OF A PCV SYSTEM IS TO HAVE NEGATIVE PRESSURE IN THE CRANKCASE AKA VACUUM!

Maybe if we can agree to this basic and fundamental fact you guys can actually learn something

· Premium Member
29,824 Posts
Yes, really!!!!

I'm not gonna waste my time reading something you found off the internet..... If I wanted to do that, I can do it myself.

I stated to you......
Your explanation of airflow and vacuum for the pcv system are incorrect and if you would open the helm's manual you will see your wrong.

ok dude. you said a breather doesn't compromise a pcv system when in fact it does. it hinders the original function of the system. i like how you call it garbage only because it contradicts everything you have said.

What is the PCV valve and what does it do? — Yahoo! Autos

if you read through that "crap" you would see where it even addressed what the intake manifold "pressure" has to do with the pcv system. the pcv is routed to the intake manifold plain and simple. it's a pressurized system. i don't know what you're trying to deny. it's just laughable how you just disregard multiple arguments that clearly show you have no idea what you're talkign about.

the line to the IM is basically a vacuum line. if you remove the line on a pressurized system and put a simple breather filter on it you're telling me that the system won't be affected?

· Premium Member
29,824 Posts
Yes, really!!!!

I stated to you......

you are an idiot :lmao

21 - 35 of 35 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.