Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Waz Up guys. I purchased some DC headers and I was torquing the bolts to 22lb when I got to the very far right one it was kind of blocked by the alternator so I went ahead like a noob and torqued it from an angle and broke the manifold stud on it. I tryed to drill out the stud and then retap it. That went very bad so now I have that one bolt not bolted down.

I was wondering since theres 7 other locking bolts holding the headers down if I should worry about doing somthing to it or if it is going to be a problem what are my options on how to fix it and get a new stud put in or if it can even be done now.

·
Registered
2,763 Posts
you probably couldv just drilled out the center some then reversed the drill and sometimes they spin right out .. if you retapped the hole I would assume you made the hole bigger? (bad idea) .. now the OEM stud will not fit. :bash

·
Registered
3,192 Posts
should have brought it to a muffler shop. they can weld a hex head onto the broken stud and you can unscrew it out.

since you have already drilled out the hole i would reccomend a helicoil kit.

·
Registered
13 Posts
quite take to go to story, and you shall buy some of JB weld. You piut it around the bolt and let it sit there overnight and you have fixed the problem. a whole lot of my car i use JB weld. it is super strong!

·
Registered
12,437 Posts
Ho_Chi_Vetec said:
quite take to go to story, and you shall buy some of JB weld. You piut it around the bolt and let it sit there overnight and you have fixed the problem. a whole lot of my car i use JB weld. it is super strong!
WHAT?? :confused

·
Registered
3,154 Posts
TAKE THAT SHIT TO A PROFESSIONAL. Pay them to fix what you fucked up. And learn from this so you don't do something that retarded again.

There are two things that could have helped you get the job done right: knowledge and experience. For future reference... if you have one but not both, it will probably take some time, but still get done. If you have neither... put down the tools and walk away. You should not be fucking with it.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Do NOT JB Weld it! That stuff is strong but doing that is ghetto!

Unfortunately, you should have stopped when the bolt broke off and you wanted to drill and tap it. We all do things that should have been done another way...this is one of them.

But, what's done is done. It needs to be heli-coiled by a shop and the stud can be reinstalled.

·
Super Ban-Finger Mod
21,366 Posts
Ho_Chi_Vetec said:
i thought you didn't wanna come to our forum anymore :confused

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
yea I took it to my farther-in-laws' house and he had the tap out set and he did it for me but that went real bad now the hole is bigger then shit and the thread is going at an angle.

I would of went to a repair shop but days before I order a Random Technology catalytic converter from sco and they sent me one with out a bun for the o2 sensor so I took it to midas, they charged me 120 bucks to do it and they welded the old/bad o2 sensor on to it after I told them I order one and was going to take the old one off and put the new on on. Then I talked to one of the guys I work with and he said they only charged him 45 to do it so who knows on that.

The days after that my car started to act up bad then saw that there was a wire cut near my oil pan (being the crankshaft sensor) so thinking sinse I can't do shit right I took it to monro and they charged me 120 bucks to splice the two wires together.

So saying that I didn't want to get riped off any more. So im going to try to learn and yes im going to fuck up on the way but im only going to fuck up once I can say that much.

Well thanks for the heads up guys im going with the heilcoil. Im going to have to take the head out this time so I can get in at a straight angle we were running into that problem when the head was in there.

Thanks guys!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.