Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

· Registered
41,903 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, heres the deal. My mount is broken (the one circled in the picture) and i bought a new one, but while trying to remove the bolts, the one (that the arrow is pointing to) broke off inside..

Well, the bolt didnt break off, but the threads that are on the inside broke off after i took it out an inch, and now its just rattling around and i have no way of getting it out. do you guys have any suggestions?

I know i could cut the head off and the mount would come right off, but i dont know how to get the bolt out and the thread reattached to the inside of the frame. I really don't want to cut a hole in the side of the beam, but it looks like it might be my only option.

· Registered
1,221 Posts
i had the same issue on mine. i just left the mount off ( i took out ac and ps though) i then decided that since its one mount short. i ordered some polyurethane mount inserts for 35$ from ebay. and the motor is honestly more stable with the inserts and mount delete than it has ever been man. theres something for you to look into.

this is what i used and they work great.

and if those dont work then ive seen people use window sealant to make a makeshift mount.

i dont know if this helps but good luck man.

· Registered
41,903 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i had the same issue on mine. i just left the mount off ( i took out ac and ps though) i then decided that since its one mount short. i ordered some polyurethane mount inserts for 35$ from ebay. and the motor is honestly more stable with the inserts and mount delete than it has ever been man. theres something for you to look into.

this is what i used and they work great.

and if those dont work then ive seen people use window sealant to make a makeshift mount.

i dont know if this helps but good luck man.
yeah the mount just looks like its a stabilizer mount, but if i run without it, it wont pass inspection. they failed me because that mount was broken (the inserts were torn)

· Registered
41,903 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
im kinda confused
why dont you just drill it out
it seems like there is a nut of some sort welded on the inside of the beam and the welds broke so its no longer attached, the only way to get to the inside is by cutting a hole, or i think maybe removing the rad support will give you access to the inside of the beam.. but that's a bitch and a half to do.

the bolt is still 90% screwed into the threads, but the threads just aren't attached to anything so it just spins around.

· Registered
49,788 Posts
it seems like there is a nut of some sort welded on the inside of the beam and the welds broke so its no longer attached, the only way to get to the inside is by cutting a hole, or i think maybe removing the rad support will give you access to the inside of the beam.. but that's a bitch and a half to do.

the bolt is still 90% screwed into the threads, but the threads just aren't attached to anything so it just spins around.
man i wish i was there to help you

· Registered
1,221 Posts
check it. why dont you run to a salvage yard and pick up that mount and the drill it out and cut that welded nut off. and go to your local hardware store and pick up a bolt and nut and replace it. i mean that would be easy and cheap

but would that allow you to pass inspection?

· Registered
10,346 Posts
Take a quick pic. Im kinda confused as to the problem. If its just spinning instead of coming out, maybe try a tack weld on teh shaft and pull on it as you are loosening it.

Like I said, im confused. pics please.

· Registered
41,903 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
check it. why dont you run to a salvage yard and pick up that mount and the drill it out and cut that welded nut off. and go to your local hardware store and pick up a bolt and nut and replace it. i mean that would be easy and cheap

but would that allow you to pass inspection?
you cant get to the part where the nut is, its inside the beam .. i cant take a pic cause id have to jack up the car, and its so low its a pain in the ass.

but here are some pics i took from a few swap threads on here.. i hope it makes more sense.

i circled the mount and drew an arrow to which bolt it is. the bolt goes up from the bottom and inside that beam of frame, it seems like there is a nut that's welded on the inside for threads.

its just a pain in the ass because this is one of the 2 issues i have with this car and if i can fix them somehow, it will be solid as fuck again

· Registered
10,346 Posts
id say just cut it as close to the frame, and drill the mount out a bit and use a new bolt big enough to simply thread through the hole to make it look good.

· Registered
49,788 Posts
id say just cut it as close to the frame, and drill the mount out a bit and use a new bolt big enough to simply thread through the hole to make it look good.
he cant cut the nut without cutting the frame though, i dont think you understand what he's saying

· Registered
10,346 Posts
I didnt say cut the nut
I said cut the bolt as close to frame as possible and drill the hole out a bit.

· Registered
22,822 Posts
what a horrible place for a mount. With a 97 chassis thats been driven in the snow and salt I can see those welds breaking. Is the hole threaded in the frame or is it just the welded nut on the backside that has the threads.

· Registered
10,346 Posts
Or you could also pull on the bolt really hard as you loosen it, might be able to free it from the nut or whatever.

· Registered
22,822 Posts
If the nut on the backside isnt broken, just use an ez-out or whatever there called. Drill a hole in the bolt put the ez out in the hole and unscrew it.

· Registered
49,788 Posts
If the nut on the backside isnt broken, just use an ez-out or whatever there called. Drill a hole in the bolt put the ez out in the hole and unscrew it.
thats what i was thinking, but he said all the bolt does is spin :confused

ben you need to find a way to yank that shit out

· Registered
22,822 Posts
thats what i was thinking, but he said all the bolt does is spin :confused

ben you need to find a way to yank that shit out
If the bolt thats welded to the frame is broken, he is fucked. All he could really do is hammer it out into the frame. But that doesnt really get him anywhere. Take the old one off and JBweld the new one in place:hehe

· Registered
49,788 Posts
If the bolt thats welded to the frame is broken, he is fucked. All he could really do is hammer it out into the frame. But that doesnt really get him anywhere. Take the old one off and JBweld the new one in place:hehe
problem is, like a put in the pic, im pretty sure the frame surrounds the nut, so you have to cut a hole in the frame in order to get to it

· Registered
41,903 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
i think this is what ben is trying to say, this pic is to represent looking at the front of the car with the nose chopped off

EXACTLY!

problem is, like a put in the pic, im pretty sure the frame surrounds the nut, so you have to cut a hole in the frame in order to get to it
exactly, i got the bolt out about an inch before the nut came off on the inside.. so the bolt will neither loosen or tighten, so i have a loose mount just rattling around.

im just totally unsure of how to go about fixing this mess

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.