Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im not really sure what is going on here. Latly I've been having a lot of trouble with my computer. I built this computer for myself. Here are the specs

Thermaltake 500wPSU 31A +12v
Corsair vaule RAM 2x512mb pc3200
P4 550 w/Tower 112 Heatsink
BGF 6600GT agp
ASUS P5P800 mobo
Cooler Master Cavalier case
60GB Seagate HD(3 years old) Master
250GB Seagate HD (less than 1 years old) Slave

The problem mainly occurs when I am trying to wach a video or run something that hard. The computer would slow down for a few sec than it would just shut off and go to the bsod. The screen say something about there is an error and it is doing a memory dump.

I've also notice that a lot of my programs are not installing right. I would sometimes get errors and it wont install. But if I restart my computer and try again, it would work. This also happens when I try to open winamp. Sometimes I would get an error when trying to open and it would lock up. But if I reboot, it would be fine. Some of my videos files wont open anymore and same with some of my documate files.

Last week I just reformated my HD and used only the 60GB hd. It worked fine for like a day or so before I started to notice that some of my programs arent running well. I wasnt able to install some of the programs that I've backed up. Winamp is still acting werid, like it wont boot up or it will boot up with an error. I've also got the bsod like 3 times so far within a week.

I've checked the connections on the HD and re installed my ram like take them out and put them back in. I still have the same problem. I can only think of 2 things that could cause this. The 60GB hd is dying or I got some messed up RAM. Im thinking more along the line of the HD because its 3 years old and I've did a lot of moving/adding/deleting BIG files with it.

Im thinking of just tossing the 60GB HD and just go with one 250GB HD that I have and break that up into 2 partiton.

Before I toss the 60GB HD can someone tell me if im on the right track? Could it be the RAM that is causing this or what else could it be?

·
Registered
2,339 Posts
are you overclocking your processor? It sounds like you are pushing something too hard, you have bad ram, or a bad processor

But all that stuff is pretty much exactly what happens when you overclock a little too far. Make sure all your voltages and frequencies are correct to the components

·
Registered
10,424 Posts
Before my old BFG 6800 burned up my puter would slow down when watching vids or playing games and then shut off with a memory dump error. So that part may be due to your vid card overheating.
As for the rest of the problems, I’m not sure. The old drive may have a lot of bad sectors to it causing write/read issues.

·
Registered
2,339 Posts
Yeah thats true id check to see where the heat was coming from cuz this is pretty much a guaranteed hardware issue and when you find the part that burns your finger, you know whats happening. Just be careful not to touch any of the little metal leads on components in case of static discharge

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I tried OCing my computer just for the heck of it and got to 4GHz. It wasnt really stable, I just wanted to take a screen shot of it at 4ghz. :hehe But I changed all the setting back to stock. This was when I first built the computer, back in december 04. I started to have this problem this month in March. Right now I am running it at 3.4Ghz like it should be. I didnt change the voltage of the cpu or the RAM, only changed the fsb of the cpu and ran it 3:4.

I dont have any heat problem, I am running it at 45*C idle and 55*C max temp. I didnt do anything to the video card. I tried to OC but wasnt able to so I just left it alone.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.