Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I am about to start building a home theater system from scratch, starting with a good network receiver, basic 5.1 setup, no BluRay as my 51" plasma, or course, doesn't support 1080p (not that big of a deal, looks good enough for me)
I was wondering, since I found some Polk Audio floor standing 3-driver speakers, can you use them for both the front sound stage as well as a pair behind your seating area? The price was great for them, rather than buying a pair of "surround" wall-mount speakers, so would anybody have any reason NOT to just go with 4 identical speakers, rather than the 2 towers up from and smaller surrounds?
Here's the speaker in question:
Newegg.com - Polk Audio Monitor60C Series II Floorstanding Loudspeaker (Cherry) Each

Thanks, guys!

EDIT: I have a 16x12 foot living area with a Comfy Sack 7.5 foot bean bag lounger as the primary seating space, so it's open and in the center of the room, if that helps with figuring out the sound stage.

·
Registered
14,616 Posts
The only reason I can think of is that most receivers will put out less power to the rear. I have personal experience with Polk stuff, in my truck and in my home, and don't have a single complaint. Bean bag huh? That takes me back.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Yeah like Clayton said just make sure receiver outputs the same power for all channels and if it does then the towers in front AND rear would be fine

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That's where I was going next, the receiver. I have been looking at the specifics and they all seem to have 3 different power ratings (front/center bar, surround, sub), the Pioneer models I am looking at show the lowest of the 3 ratings at 80w RMS :( since I HAVE searched, and found nothing, anybody know of a receiver that has at least 4 channels of the same RMS output?

And yeah, I am replacing all of my furniture with comfy sacks in time LOL I'm kind of a digital hippie, as my signature shows LOL I'm going for the whole "zen utopia" living room, I'm moving my aquarium into the room, about to start laminate brule flooring, shag area rug, and (if funds allow) a fish tank coffee table :D

·
Registered
21 Posts
Yamaha, my Yamaha is 140X7!! Bi-Wirable in 5.1 for the front main to be at 280 a piece. It's the second yamaha I've owned and been pleased with both, really clean and discrete power.

·
Registered
14,616 Posts
And yeah, I am replacing all of my furniture with comfy sacks in time LOL I'm kind of a digital hippie, as my signature shows LOL I'm going for the whole "zen utopia" living room, I'm moving my aquarium into the room, about to start laminate brule flooring, shag area rug, and (if funds allow) a fish tank coffee table :D
'Sounds' dope! Post pics some time man.

·
Registered
14,616 Posts
Yamaha, my Yamaha is 140X7!! Bi-Wirable in 5.1 for the front main to be at 280 a piece. It's the second yamaha I've owned and been pleased with both, really clean and discrete power.

Yeah. Yamaha is good stuff.:btu

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

When you say "bi-wirable" you mean essentially bridging the outputs? I'm new to home theater :( I couldn't find that specific model, but some Yamaha models showed 120 RMS output. Thanks for clarity :D

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
'Sounds' dope! Post pics some time man.
I ordered my sack (heh heh) on Friday, and goofed and didn't get fast shipping, so sicne they recently changed their procedures (the actually "pack" the back itself and let you just put the cover on) it'll be here HOPEFULLY by Friday, definitely will post pics when it's setup. I've recently been on this home restyling kick :)

·
Registered
14,616 Posts
I ordered my sack (heh heh) on Friday, and goofed and didn't get fast shipping, so sicne they recently changed their procedures (the actually "pack" the back itself and let you just put the cover on) it'll be here HOPEFULLY by Friday, definitely will post pics when it's setup. I've recently been on this home restyling kick :)
Lol that got me too.

Cool stuff man. I always like making my living quarters more.. livable.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Lol that got me too.

Cool stuff man. I always like making my living quarters more.. livable.
Well, in the last 2 years, I have been married, divorced, thought I was expecting a child, found out I was being played for my dream of being a father, had to sell my "4 door Supra (94 GS300 w/ Aristo/Supra swap, GT45 single, ect ect) and now I am getting things more "centered" and striving for a more zen environment, with the bean bags, lighting, fish, sound staging, ect ect...

That and it'd just be a really swell smoking spot :clappy :clappy :clappy

·
Registered
21 Posts
When you say "bi-wirable" you mean essentially bridging the outputs? I'm new to home theater :( I couldn't find that specific model, but some Yamaha models showed 120 RMS output. Thanks for clarity :D
Yeah basically the same thing, have to have speakers also capable of this, there is a binding tab on the back that goes to 4 posts both positive and negative red+ black- remove the binding strip and attach speaker wire to both top AND bottom and you have a speaker with a crossover capable of this and you essentially have a bi-wired speaker, receivers amp driving both the highs and the lows independently. Tempted to do this on my Yamaha since 7.1 never really ever took off, just down convert from 7.1 to 5.1 with front main bi-wired, very tempting!?

·
Registered
21 Posts
My model is discontinued now but you can google it to get possible images of the back of it to get an idea of what I mean...Yamaha AV receiver RX-V3800

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yeah basically the same thing, have to have speakers also capable of this, there is a binding tab on the back that goes to 4 posts both positive and negative red+ black- remove the binding strip and attach speaker wire to both top AND bottom and you have a speaker with a crossover capable of this and you essentially have a bi-wired speaker, receivers amp driving both the highs and the lows independently. Tempted to do this on my Yamaha since 7.1 never really ever took off, just down convert from 7.1 to 5.1 with front main bi-wired, very tempting!?

Cool, so I was on the right track, then. I'm really looking into Yamaha units now, hopefully I can save some money and still have really clean, balanced theater steup.

·
Registered
9 Posts
i don't really know about those kind of home theater solutions for one reason i owned a few home theater systems and know that if you want quality cinema experience you need to get a factory one, i recently sold my yamaha and bought bose lifstyle v35 and it cost me an arm and a leg but it was worth FOR ME at least.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts