Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I'm new to the Super honda forum and I just bought a 94 Delsol Vtec in mint condition with 171000 miles on the body and maybe the motor but I'm not sure. It came with a cheap looking Ram Intake like one from Autozone, and the filter was shot. there is very little ticking from my lifters and There was an oil leak from the numbero ne cylinder valve cover gasket which I replaced with a new one and I also bought some MSD 8.5 wires and some NGK iriduims plugs the ones that were in there for bosch platinum plus 4 and I think those are a waste. Plus the wires looked stock. When I opened up the valve cover I looked inside to see the cams what color were they ruf or not and they were sparkling silver. Just what I wanted to see. The person or persons who owned the car before me kept it in really good condition so I added some synthetic castrow 5w30 to it and its running great now. I posted this up to run a comparison for buying cheaper parts and see how much money I will be spending on the car and feel for perfomance. I dont have a dyno or anything for hp numbers but I dont know cars and I can tell if there was a performance gains or not. I will keep people up dated. I also plan on buying ebay products cause I not a rich person who has a store or tons of money to back me up. So far I have added to the car and it Runs nice here is the list of parts.

B16a3 with premium fuel without any methenol or alcohol
Intake 3" no name pipe with autozone new oiled filter $20
NGK Iriduim PLugs $6bucks or so a pieceor $8 i cant remember bad memory
MSD 8.5 Ignition wires.$87 bucks - I have the extra wire for the blaster but no blaster so it sitting in my garage right now not being used.
a Cheap walmart Alarm $45 bucks
The Club $20 bucks
ebay short shifter$14 bucks it fits fine not problems yet
ebay red shift nob $10 bucks it fitsgood but when fully twisted down it sits upside down on the short shifter but doesnt bother me none- who looks at the gears on there any ways lol
I just order a Tsudo catback $235 bucks from ebay Im not sure the piping but its SS and looks like a N1 exhaust.
I also ordered a 28 dollar high flow cat dunno how much high flow but it gotta be better than my stock lol
and a $77 SS 4-1 headers for the car.

I know the stuff I got is cheap its kinda the say of you get what you pay for but being a poor man you can only afford so much lol

well ill have some pix up tomorrow if I can figure out how to put pix up eheheh post up anything you want me to know or add or questions or good and bad feed back thanks. New to the forum

·
Registered
10,272 Posts
If there is ticking in the head it's a good idea to give it a valve adjustment....and change the transmission fluid if you don't know how long it's been since it's been changed.

·
Registered
3,966 Posts
Sk8trPunkTMW said:
my girl has tsudo exhaust on her eclipse.. granted its a diff car but it didnt fit at all..horrible fitment and it rusts out QUICK...
ebay for ya. even though i got half my shit from there :lol2

·
Registered
3,966 Posts
gurusan said:
If there is ticking in the head it's a good idea to give it a valve adjustment....and change the transmission fluid if you don't know how long it's been since it's been changed.
dark black trans fluid=shitty fluid. its burning up. if you wanna do it,you can take it to like any lube shop and they can do it for you. maybe 30min.. we service manual trans. at our shop for like 30 bucks but its recommended to be serviced like every 15k.

you can do the FF yourself im fairly sure, if its under the hood. if you take it somewhere to do it, itll be close to 30. thats what we charge. i paid 12 for mine and did it myself.

the wires and plugs really arent goin to make you any extra power. just go OEM on those unless youre making ridiculous whp numbers or doing a big NA build. not to rag on your exhaust, but being tsudo, im willing to wager its goin to sound like ass.

as far as oil, i dont really see any point in using fully synthetic oil. IMO you should go 10w30, or 10w40. on those higher mileage motors with more wear and tear it just keeps things sealed better and helps slow any leaks.

and since i work at pennzoil, :boo on castroL. if you really want some bang for buck, save for a turbo. itll take time to save, but good things always take time. and itll be worth the whp numbers in the end. it doesnt take as long as you think to save like 3k for a decent kit.

·
Registered
3,966 Posts
gurusan said:
...dude you are talking about auto trannies.

Honda recommends changing manual transmission fluid every 15k miles.
my mistake. post edited. ;) we rarely do manual trans services. i knew that. guess i just wasnt thinkin.

Reactions: gurusan

·
Registered
959 Posts
For 15 bucks more you could've got some wires with extremely low resistance that would give you more hp. MSDs are crap. I've seen first hand the improved conductance of different wires. This guy at my local performance shop has this display where he hooks up different wires to a battery and a spark plug and you can see the increase in brightness and even size of the electrical beam...like a lil lightning bolt.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
well I have come back to check things out

my gay site, here are some pix of the car not the best but ok http://www.angelfire.com/planet/brotzvang
just check out the photo album area
I have a movie clip of the engine at http://www.angelfire.com/planet/brotzvang/delsol.avi
copy and paste into url and save as

Anyways thanks for the feedback. It was good to hear pos and neg critisizm cause I'm not always looking at the good and bad aspect of each and every detail. As for changing fluids I probably take care of all that my self but only have one question for the manual tranny fluid what weight and brand do you guys use and whats would be best? I got No clue on that ehhee. As for a rusty exhaust, every exhaust will rust. I have a Thermal R&D on my 93 AWD talon and the rear exhaust part with the wool looking like stuff came shooting out and it doesnt sound right at all loland I paid 450 for that catback so I figure what the hell might as well try budget lol. I've also seen that happen on my buddies GSR with a DC catback so thats my testament to exhausts i guess I also live in wisconsin where road salt plays in as a huge factor for rust so I'm not going to get away from it any time soon. O how I wish It didnt snow up here lol. Anyways I notice a difference with the spark plugs and wires I don't know about you guys but I defnitely fires but better and runs a Little more powerful probably like 1-2 hp increase in over all power. not alot but everbit helps i guess anyways I am looking to go as far as I can with out really boosting it for now anyways. I was thinking about puting all the wasy bolt ons and then add may a 50shot nitrous with the E-ram supposed to give 1-2psi in boost for about 300 bucks i think i saw it for eheheh its kinda cheesy but I guess I'll have to see if it works . as for now Im just waiting on the headers and the high flow cat and tsudo exhaust I hope they increase a little hp eheh for budget. oh well. and yes this is my daily driver I have a dead talon in teh garage that needs new bearings and I have to get better pistons and rods for now but now that I got my new toy I really enjoy driving it. Im just looking to whoop all my buddies with evo's and sti's all I ever hear is turbo this turbo that please, "Turbo AWD been there done that". NOthing like the joy of instant power and awesome sound of VTEC. Well I only drive it to work and maybe to the store I have a 2002 trailblazer for family travel lol. But I am also looking for better fuel mileage. Well thnks for listening to my rants and raves I will definetly be using these forums alot heheeh.

·
Registered
3,966 Posts
Brotz said:
the E-ram supposed to give 1-2psi in boost for about 300 bucks i.
its ben tried, and it isnt that great. go to www.homemadeturbo.com and read their article on it. you wont have fun when one of those plastic fan blades breaks and flies into your engine.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
well Im back again

I just put on the tsudo cat back its about 2 and 3/8 piping and its not really that bad of sound and I'd say I lost torque but gained more horses in the top end may be like 2-7 hp only heheeh 234 dollar exhaust not too bad its fit on good too I changed the fuel filter and I don't think I can change the PCV valve on the B16a3 motor with out the stock intake pipe. Anyways I washed the engine down with some degreaser and It looks alot cleaner. well I'm waiting on my cheap no name headers and no name high flow cat how much high flow I don't know lol I'll putsome audio of my exhaust up when i get the chance

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
header and high flow cat install

well I'm back I got the headers and high flow cat on but the fitment from the headers to the high flow cat was junk the flanges didn't fit and there was no donut gasket either. On the box of the headers it said GSR headers I have some pix that if you would like to see PM me
and for the love of god someone tell me how to put pix on here every time i load a pix it says bad i need autorization or some crap like that see admin?? dunno what that is. Anyways there is a huge leak between the header and high flow cat. dunno what Imma do unless I can find a donut gasket that fits 2.5 inches ughh well for now the car is out of order and I need to fix the gasket its sounds like Im driving a UPS truck. WEll if yall have any ideas on how to fix this problem or wut you guys ran into let me know . I was just thinking about cutting off the flanges on the headers and high flow cat and having my buddy wield a 2.5 inch pipe on there lol. anything to make the dang car quieter.

·
Registered
10,923 Posts
Burning rubber in first AND second's been almost
embarrassingly easy with the Tanabe exhaust. I put
on an AEM short ram intake about the same time, but
when I get everything done and the supercharger on,
this bitch is going to be QUICK!

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
well i went underneath to check out the job that was done for my header to HF cat and I found that the guy didn't even tighten one of the bolts that connect the headers to cat(there are two) and then he put the O2 sensor on the headers and somehow lost the bolt that plugs up the O2 sensor hole on the HF cat. Cause I only need one O2 Sensor. So I tightened it up and went out and bought a plugs it was a metric m18 with standard threads on it. then I decided to check out the rest of the job and i looked at the headers and one of the header bolts was completely hanging loose so i tighten it by hand and check the others before I tighten it down wit a wrench. and as I check the others by hand one of the bolts falls right off..The *** tech told me nothing was wrong and the install went nice. The bastard broke a exhaust stud and didn't bother to tell me and tried to leave it just sitting in the hole so I wouldn't notice. Well the car after tightening ever thing up is ok there is a small leak between the HF cat and header but I can live with it for now its alot quieter now but I still pissed about the broken stud I'm going to have the bastard fix it in the morning. Next on my list for upgrades will be a Greddy emanage.

·
Registered
10,272 Posts
...yeah I don't trust anyone else to work on my car. Sounds like a really shitty mechanic. I wouldn't go back there at all.

And why would you want emanage? It's a pricey system, and you need to get it tuned, and after all that you might get a couple single-digit horsies....

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.