Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
damn man, everyday its different. Allmotor;nah turbo; natural; nah FI.........i cant make up my mind. BUT

I was thinking, I want the best possible power making DD set up for my rex.
I kinda wanted to go turbo, but Idk I mean I could buy a friggin jdm ITR b18 for that much money, And I would love to have an all motor set up that could keep up with boosted cars.

Ive been thinking about type r (ing) out my crx. (cams, headers, mani, thrttle Body, Id like to get a GSR block or maybe b20 eventually too. so I could get some tourque.

Idk, I guess Im looking for some ideas on how to gain HP without boosting or spending 6 grand basically I would like to make K series power, without the wallet to back it up AHAHA.......idk but the frakenstein type R idea is all I got rite now. what do you guys think?

this is for when I have the type R money. for now im repping the tourqless B. but shes plent fast for me as of now, I know Ill eventually want more tho.

thanks guys......

· Registered
1,993 Posts
You gotta look to see how much you wanna spend

As for the DD comment, you gotta figure out how much power you want to make. Both can be DDs up to a certain point. It also goes by what your definition of a DD is...some cars shouldnt even be on the road..

You can build a cute little turbo setup push 10 psi out of a t25, giving you more than 200hp for around 2k-3k depending on who you know.

I bet getting type R parts will cost the same amoutn as that turbo setup with out making as much power.

· Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thats exatly what Im getting at. Ill be happy once I reach 200 horses. Id like to max out at maybe 225-30 and thats about it. That would be PLENTY nasty for me. The car is so fuking tiny ...lol that would be enough.

But yea Im looking on spending about the cost of a turbo kit on an all motor set up THAT WILL LAST.........aka built the proper way (tuning etc.).

Id way rather go type R than boost.....EVERYONe boosts, not really but it seems like it.

· Registered
1,993 Posts
Everyone boosts becuase its a cheaper way of making more power. Do you know how much itd cost to make a B16 reach 300hp all motor??

If you build your kit right it will last you. If you want to go the type r route, though i think you have to get an aftermarket manifold if you want to be more tye Rish (stock wont work), you wouldnt really make more than 200 if not that.

Search for it and see how it went for others

· Registered
12,453 Posts
thats exatly what Im getting at. Ill be happy once I reach 200 horses. Id like to max out at maybe 225-30 and thats about it. That would be PLENTY nasty for me. The car is so fuking tiny ...lol that would be enough.

But yea Im looking on spending about the cost of a turbo kit on an all motor set up THAT WILL LAST.........aka built the proper way (tuning etc.).

Id way rather go type R than boost.....EVERYONe boosts, not really but it seems like it.
Type R everything is going to cost you a fortune. Why not put some cams on your B16? You already have a good motor in that car, and for daily driving as of now its perfect if you ask me.

I'm sure you could squeak close to 200hp out of that b16 with headwork and the right breathing mods.

I'd say stick with what you have, throw some money at it, or boost it.

· Registered
4,633 Posts
If you don't do the work or tuning yourself, figure about $4000 to hit 200whp in your B16. You'll also be making like 150 torque or less.

Again, if you don't do any of the work or tuning yourself, figure about the same (less depending on how well you shop) for up to 300whp Turbo (200-300whp costs about the same since all you need to do is turn up the boost).

~250whp on boost is much more streetable than 200whp+ all motor in your B16.

If you really know your stuff, and if you're a good builder, and if you're a great tuner....like Derek (9400rpms) you can make a Type-R All Motor monster work for you...but usually it ends up costing wayyyy too much compared to boost, and they're always on the edge.

If you want a fast car for the least amount of money, you go with a small turbo, dial in the manual boost controller to yield around 250whp, mate it with all the goodies you can find for the best price, and a great tune. That will be an easy daily driver, that just needs regular maintenance a bit more often than stock (Plugs, Oil, etc).

· Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
As soon as I saw the edlebrock turbo kit and read your post, I quickly changed my mind. plan on a phat tune too. Im also gunna build up my engine a lil bit before ie. stronger timng belt, better fuel pump, the kit already comes with a intake mani with the injectors already.

need 4 grand :( But its so worth it.

· Registered
4,633 Posts
You could go that route, but you could probably save a lot of money if you can find the parts individually, or as mini-kits rather than get a big kit like that.

The biggest problem with all these kits are the turbos that come in them. They're good turbos, but on average they are WAYYYY too big. They make tons of peak horsepower...but the lag is stupid, and they're no fun to drive unless you're willing to "go to jail" speed.

Go to the Turbocharger forum and read up on coop's thread. There's lots in there about coming up with your own turbo build rather than driver a boring turbo-kit car.

Also, stuff like injectors and a Fuel pump can't just be thrown in with the kit. You have to size them specifically for the amount of power you plan to make. This is why kits can get bad raps....because none of them can be put together to suit a certain engine, power goal, etc..

· Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ya will this partic. kit comes with a nice t2........pretty sick. I think Ima buy a garrett turbo and peice together tho ur rite. I wish I could get a hood for my car. How much u think a 91 HBhood would cost at a junkyard. Im givin rexy a paintjob in about a couple weeks. Gonna murder it out (tint rims all black with a candy red valve cover) Its gunna be hot. But how much u think I get a hood for at a yard?

· Registered
4,633 Posts
Ya will this partic. kit comes with a nice t2........pretty sick. I think Ima buy a garrett turbo and peice together tho ur rite. I wish I could get a hood for my car. How much u think a 91 HBhood would cost at a junkyard. Im givin rexy a paintjob in about a couple weeks. Gonna murder it out (tint rims all black with a candy red valve cover) Its gunna be hot. But how much u think I get a hood for at a yard?
lol, I have no freaking clue. Search for OEM replacement hoods on eBay, and like...halve the price or so for a good condition one at a junk yard.

What kind of T2 comes with the Edelbrock kit?? Maybe it's a kit specifically designed for small displacement motors, and fast spool times...kinda doubt it though.

· Registered
4,633 Posts
Well, it might not be too bad....but it's just scary when they say "no additional tuning on otherwise stock engines" when using their piggy back. That's either incredibly naive and stupid on their part....or they're just saying it to sell more units....both of those are just bad anyways.

If you're really interested in it, contact them and get the part number for the turbo. Garrett T28 isn't enough info. Garrett makes a bunch of GT28 turbos....I'm guessing they're referring to that family of turbos which come in several different trims. However, it's a much better start than those Turbonetics kits that come with monster T3/T4s.

Anyways, it looks okay if that's the direction you want to go. The ceramic coating is nice (that's what I plan to do to all my charge piping)...but you'll probably end up getting different injectors, and maybe a few different tidbits. That X manifold is a sweeeeet piece, so factor the cost of that in too...definitely a plus. If you don't like it I'll trade you my Skunk2 manifold lol.

But yea, just get some more info from Edelbrock on the kit if you're serious about it, and don't mind spending a bit more for a "kit".

Edit: Oh, and by no means does a "kit" ensure that all the piping will end up fitting perfectly...there's almost always some extra fab required to make things fit....nothing crazy though.

· Registered
1,993 Posts
Besides that tuning part (Piggyback FTL) It seems like a pretty decent kit. Especially if it made an EX hit 176hp. Granted peak power doesnt really mean anything and many other variables come into play, its still around 60 horses over stock at said 7 psi. I just wonder what else went into that build...

Wait you have a B16, but this is for a 96-00 EX. Didnt they come with y8s?

I know SOME manifolds swap from D to B but not all. My friends tried it out and like two bolts on a SOHC header fit on a B-Series head...or maybe it was his LS head...

Kinda funny hoo were looking at turbo kits in an all motor forum.

· Registered
4,633 Posts
Haha yea. Somebody can move this to the Turbo forum at some point.

But good catch man on the EX issue. I didn't pay attention to the applicability....I just assumed he chose the right kit. Buy yea, make sure you choose something that comes with a B-series exhaust manifold. Fitment will be a coin toss since I doubt any Edelbrock kits are for B16 plumbing to fit in a CRX engine bay.

· Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Dude, They have one for the b16 I was just showing you the basic kit. I figured u guys would know...................................o well cleared that up.

This isnt for a while, But I just got my hood today and it fits good, If you guys didnt read the DIY forum, I got into a minor fender bender, But just my rad. supp is damaged. bent it back into place and got my hood today and put it on. ordering a new radiator on thursday, no frame or engine damaged and eventually getting a new support, like in a couple months so shell be all fixed up.

But yea I think I mite save up for a snail next. garrett T28, Gunna be mad $$.

· Registered
4,633 Posts
Hit up the turbobygarrett website, and pick out a GT28 turbo that you think will meet your goals. There's a bunch of GT28s. Read up on some people's individual builds with different GT28 units, and come to a decision. If the GT28 that Edelbrock offers in the kit is within the range that you want, then I'd go for it if you want the kit.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.