Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone. I recently purchased an Integra with a built/boosted b18b1 in it. The build is a few years old but allegedly has less than 4000 miles since it was built. The motor has JE pistons, Eagle rods, Precision SC61 turbo (no shaft play), Crower dual valve springs/retainers, Crower cams....ect

Here is the issue. When I cold start the car it will begin to smoke about a minute after starting (blue color, smells like oil for sure). A few minutes later, when the car is at or near its operating temperature it stops smoking. Also once its warmed up I don't notice any smoke during driving and boost pulls.
When its warmed up and at idle only, it almost sounds like there is a misfire but its not a misfire. No CEL but just the sound of what sounds like a miss. I know its not to descriptive and I don't know if its related to the other issue.

*Before I purchased the car it had been sitting a while and was only started up occasionally.*

My main concern is the smoking. Possible valve seals/guides? Turbo seal?
Any help will be much appreciated.

You last visited: 10-11-2009 at 02:57 PM....its been a while but the website still looks good lol.

Thank you

·
Registered
5,141 Posts
90% sure it's the stem seal's.
If it was turbo normally they are noisy, and you get lot's of blue smoke when you lift off the throttle, because the turbo goes from positive pressure to negative pressure, it sucks the oil through the oil seal and fires it down the exhaust, so you get:-
boost change gear puff of blue smoke,
then boost change gear puff of blue smoke.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
90% sure it's the stem seal's.
If it was turbo normally they are noisy, and you get lot's of blue smoke when you lift off the throttle, because the turbo goes from positive pressure to negative pressure, it sucks the oil through the oil seal and fires it down the exhaust, so you get:-
boost change gear puff of blue smoke,
then boost change gear puff of blue smoke.
Thank you much. That makes sense.

I also heard others say that it might be the rings. Being that when it warms up metal expands and creates a better seal...I Highly doubt that due to it not constantly smoking but its still a thought in my paranoid mind. lol

Also I must add when it smokes on cold starts its VERY noticeable.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts