Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I usually have to put in about a quart of motor oil between oil changes of 3750 miles. Does anyone else experience this? The oil loss generally correlates with how I drive my car. If I drive hard, I lose more oil, and if I don't drive hard, I lose less oil. I have all the basic bolt-ons, and 34,000 miles. I was wondering if a free-flowing exhaust system could be the culprit. Any thoughts? Much appreciated.

CS

·
Premium Member
9,293 Posts
What weight do you run?

It is normal, especially when running your car hard, to burn some oil. I put 4.5 quarts of Mobil 1 in on every oil change every 3000 miles. At 3000 miles my dip stick is always dead on, but it really only calls for 4.2 quarts. If your running 0 weight, I can see you burning a full quart, but if your running 5-30, a quart in 3500 miles is a bit much, unless you dog your car all day every day. Then in that case its justified.

·
Registered
1,833 Posts
Funny thing is I use 0w-30 (summer) and 5w-30 (winter) and I autocross from January to October and I don't burn oil. Stays at full throughout until next oil change.

·
Registered
4,550 Posts
CivicSiRacer said:
Funny thing is I use 0w-30 (summer) and 5w-30 (winter) and I autocross from January to October and I don't burn oil. Stays at full throughout until next oil change.
i use 5w-30 Mobil 1 all year around, can u explain your decision in using 0w-30 in the summer? i'm curious

·
Registered
1,833 Posts
b16a2racer said:
i use 5w-30 Mobil 1 all year around, can u explain your decision in using 0w-30 in the summer? i'm curious
0w-30 flows better and promotes better fuel economy. According to some magazines gain some more hp from the thinner oil.

·
Registered
290 Posts
CivicSiRacer said:
0w-30 flows better and promotes better fuel economy. According to some magazines gain some more hp from the thinner oil.

Good luck in proving that. Sounds like a load of hooey to me. I can tell u one thing for certain is that the lower viscosity oil definately finds more ways past your rings to burn off. My old partner N-Gin made the switch from 5W30 to 0W30 and his oil consumption went way up afterwards.

Honda recommeneds 5W30 all year round. I live in a region with extremes in both ranges of hot and cold and my oil consumption is Nil. I now use Mobil 1 Full Synthetic and I've never had a problem with oil consumption. Some engines do use a little more oil than others and it's normal to use 1 Qt between changes. Anymore and I would start looking around for possible reasons why.

BTW, the big claim of Synthetic oil is that it doesn't have same characteristic of a standard oil to really thicken up in cold weather. At least that is their claim, and this is supposed to make cold weather starts much easier. I can tell you with experience that my car starts the exact same at -30*C as it did before and after I switched to Synthetic Oil. However, the one thing I can't say for certain is how fast that oil pressure builds and gets the parts lubricated. I'm guess this is one advantage area as it would pump much easier on a cold start.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
another difference between syn. and reg. oil is that the syn. of whatever weight oil you are using is a little thinner than the conventional oil of the same weight due to the lubricating characteristics. that's why i run mobil 1 10w30 when drag racing.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.