Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
1,099 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
im burning oil, i have to put in a quart every week and a half. what could be the prob?

· Registered
78 Posts
testing

No its an easy test it comes with a deal that looks like a sparkplug on a wire you basicly pull your spark plug and slide it down your head and screw the sparkplug on a wire in the hole then turn the motor over a few time but first make sure you have a few sparkplug wires pull so that the motor doesn't start. So at the end of the wire is a pressure gauge. it will tell you what the pressure is then you release it and go tot he next one. if you have any that are below 70 then its rebuild time also if you have any that are more then 5 psi apart then you wanna rebuild the motor.
Hope this helps and if I missed something people feel free to pitch in.
Later
Don

· Registered
2,120 Posts
you could rent the tool if you have an autozone in your area

· Registered
83 Posts
It could be something as simple as your valve springs. Does your car smoke? If so, you could change the springs and it might fix it. It happened to my friends prelude and the valve springs fixed it. Good luck!

· Registered
1,099 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
yeha it does smoke, how hard is it to replace the valve springs? or how much would it cost at a shop?

· Registered
714 Posts
You wouldnt want to replace the valve springs unless you were going to build the motor for high performance or if it had high mileage. This is because the valve springs have nothing to do with the engine burning oil. What would cause that would be the valve seals. You still have to pull the springs, but you would not have to replace them. Other than that the only other things i could think of that would cause a motor to burn oil would be the rings like Justdriving said or a blown head gasket but you dont seem to have any symptoms of that.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.