Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 97 prelude SH that I bought last month from a friend. He had put in a performance clutch in the car last summer (dont know what kind). Yesterday, I noticed a burning smell when I shift and hear a grinding noise(sounds like metal) when I shift into gear. I thought it was low oil in the tranny. When I had it checked, there was plenty oil in the tranny (changed it anyway). Could this be the symptoms for a burnt out clutch? Please help!!

BTW: Previously owned 2 hondas in 3 yrs (manuel) but never had this problem. Appreciate any help yall give!!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
21,276 Posts
jajiprelude said:
I have a 97 prelude SH that I bought last month from a friend. He had put in a performance clutch in the car last summer (dont know what kind). Yesterday, I noticed a burning smell when I shift and hear a grinding noise(sounds like metal) when I shift into gear. I thought it was low oil in the tranny. When I had it checked, there was plenty oil in the tranny (changed it anyway). Could this be the symptoms for a burnt out clutch? Please help!!

BTW: Previously owned 2 hondas in 3 yrs (manuel) but never had this problem. Appreciate any help yall give!!!
gear syncro's,

it definitely not clutch related. You will know when your clutch goes out, it will feel like its slipping all the time.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
375 Posts
my friend had the same problem on an s4 with aftermarket clutch...if u ask me it was bc he wasnt a great stick driver...sure u aren't burning the clutch when shifting?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
21,276 Posts
N1PreludeSH said:
my friend had the same problem on an s4 with aftermarket clutch...if u ask me it was bc he wasnt a great stick driver...sure u aren't burning the clutch when shifting?
its prolly a mix with that and bad syncros
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,921 Posts
Agreed... bad synchros are the cause of the grinding. Do you feel the clutch slipping at all? Does it hold the power at WOT?

~Peace
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The clutch doesnt feel like its slipping at all and it holds during WOT. The grinding I'm talking about isnt the one you hear when you release the clutch too early while shifting accidentally, it occurs when the clutch initially engages, in case thats what ur wondering.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
21,276 Posts
jajiprelude said:
The clutch doesnt feel like its slipping at all and it holds during WOT. The grinding I'm talking about isnt the one you hear when you release the clutch too early while shifting accidentally, it occurs when the clutch initially engages, in case thats what ur wondering.
thats a bad syncro
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,921 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
26 Posts
I had the same exact problem

My car would always have a burning smell, I thought it might be heater/radiator related..but as a month went by it got worst..The next sentences describes what happened in a one week span...It was very hard to shift into gear ( every gear). There was no clutch slippage at all. I really had to stomp the pedal and use lots of strength to move the shifter.I heard the same metal whining noise. I could not shift at high speeds could not use the highway. I would have to stay cruising in third on the streets,sometimes had to cut my car off to put in gear.One day at a light I tried to drive in first and the car buckled and buckled making a screaming noise..could not shift or go past 10mph. I towed the car back home and have not worked on it yet.

I find it strange to have problems shifting in all gears. Probably not the clutch. Seems to be tranny related. The final screaming noise and buckling reminds me of when an old acura I had needed a tranny at 225,000 miles.But this car is a 94 lude vtec with original engine and trans only 55,000 miles.When I open it up in April, I'll see...H22 trans are notorious for having problems, could be a number of things ( syncros,fork etc..)Even though now that I look back the burning smell was a sign it was not until a week's period I noticed shifting problems.

I am basically in the same boat you are.I decided to to put a head&timing belt on a 92 si that I bought with a broken timing belt because it is a quicker and easier job for me. Thanks anyway for your post and the other replies do help.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
247 Posts
Yeah man shit liek that really sucks yaknow I say try to get it fixed asap because sooner or later the ride will stop moving no tranny no go youll be like the flinstones moving your car with your feet tryin to move and shit. My synchros are goin too but my whole motor and tranny is at the shop now all opened up gettin inspected and shit. Btw how expensive are synchros. People call me an idiot for spendin money on my car I dont care its not theirs to say but i love what i do and im not gonna stop :rolleyes
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
26 Posts
it was my clutch!!

dropped tranny and found out that one of the clutch's 4 springs was grinded 3/4 th away and had fallen.

peace
 
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Top