Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,722 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The car I'm in the process of purchasing is owned by someone who is currently being held in a correctional institute. What is the best way to get the title signed over to me?

Adding more complexity into the issue, he lives in Arizona while I'm currently in California, and I'll be flying down to pick up the car and would really like to go through a quick tune-up and be able to drive away that day. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
I don't know about AZ law, but if he has a spouse, they can sometimes sign over the title, as long as they have the physical copy. They will then verify that that was ok with the owner, and sign it over to you. It varies state-to-state though as to whether or not that's possible.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Whenever a deal sounds to good to be true, as far as the price goes, it usually is. I would run away from this deal and not turn back! First rule, never fly in to check out someones vehicle because if it turns out being a lemon now you just lost a whole bunch of time and money on flying or driving in. Second, there is way to many complications involved in this so called "DEAL", it's not woth the headace, just save up a little more money and buy a car locally.

·
Registered
2,722 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I personally know the brother, and have had several interactions with both of them. They both have great reputations on several Z owner boards. I was flying down there anyway, to meet up with a couple friends while moving back to the East Coast. This was just convenient and it's a solid car, so I decided to pick it up. I should be able to get away with just a bill of sale, even if it's from the brother, but I'd rather have a title signed over to me. I'm really just wondering what the best way to do that in AZ would be.

·
Registered
2,722 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Will do, I'll get started on it tomorrow. I'm assuming I won't be able to straighten everything out on the weekend (in reality, it'll probably take a week or so). I'll keep you guys posted.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts