Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive found a jdm 4th gen prelude for sale (130000 kilometers - 1994 model), the car seems straight but the leather interior is worn incuding the passenger seat! (turning white) and the leather shift gator has worn at the top, i read that the leather in jdm preludes is quite poor quality and wears out quick can anyone back this up? the condition of the interior doesnt add up to the mileage as the bodywork is immaculate, also the plastic intake grills next to the headlights are colour coded green normally they are grey/black plastic? anyone know if honda ever ccoded those bits? im thinking it might have been resprayed, shame as it looks real clean :( thank you.

any help appreciated.

·
Registered
8,605 Posts
About the leather seats on JDM ludes I don't know if they are said to be made of bad quality materials, from what I've seen the leather in the USDM ludes seems to be pretty good, I don't see why they'd slack off on the JDM ones but who knows.

As to regarding the vents near the headlights they should come grey stock, I've never heard of them coming color coded from the factory.

I'd say if the car is in good shape minus the interior seats and shift knob, go for it, maybe the owner just didnt care for the shape of the interior? or maybe he didn't care for the overall car, but if you say the body is immaculate then thats what i'd guess.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks digink, guess i need to go back and have a real good look and check out for overspray in the trunk and under the hood, the fact those plastic grilles are colour coded worries me a bit that its been majorly resprayed for whatever reason, does anything majorly stick out as wrong in that engine bay?.

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
if it was resprayed you would know for sure...there are easy ways to identify a car that has been repainted, like look for overspray on the rubber inside the doorjambs, or paint lines around the windows..also two tone paint is a good sign. or any orange peel. OEM paint has no orange peel to it where as many aftermarket (cheaper) paint jobs do.

And yeah I can vouch for the leather in Honda's in general. It seems that the leather that Honda has used tends to just wear out quicker than any other companies leather. My dad's maxima has almot 100 thousand miles and the leather shows basically no signs of wear whatsoever, also my friends BMW has black leather that shows no signs of wear and he has 80 thousand miles. But, my Prelude SE (95 with 60k miles) shows much more wear in the seats. I take extreme care when i sit down and get out not to rub or push on the bolsters (thats what causes most of the wear) and I also condition the leather at least once or twice a month and it still shows wear. Although when I bought the car it had most of the wear already and now it has seemed to have stopped for the most part (as long as i have owned it). Also some more proof is that my friends Honda accord has horrible leather seats. they are all nasty and cracked and shit. but he also has 220k miles on those seats and his whole family is fat...but whatever.

Although Honda otherwise has very very high quality interior parts. I have never seen a cracked dashboard in a honda or a ripped/sagging headliner etc. They do a very good job with the fit and finish of their cars interiors.

sadly it just seems their leather is not quite as good as most other companies for whatever reason.

hope i helped...i didnt expect to type that much.

·
Premium Member
13,998 Posts
Also look for removed tags on the inside of the driver door or crummy door jams where it looks bad quality.

Most likely its a respray though, all you had to say was the nostrils were painted. They come see through plastic with a gunmetal grey background.

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
mike_sho said:
Also look for removed tags on the inside of the driver door or crummy door jams where it looks bad quality.

Most likely its a respray though, all you had to say was the nostrils were painted. They come see through plastic with a gunmetal grey background.

but alot of people paint the vents just so it provides the car with a more streamline look...that is what I thought when I read it-was that they had just done it as a looks modification. I didn't get the immediate impression that the entire car had been painted.

BUT....if you take a look at the back bumper near the bottom there is a strip that is just like a long indent in the back bumper. If the car had been painted then most likely that would have been painted too. I have seen a prelude that I had known was wrecked and re-built and that thing was painted in. so yeah...just keep an eye out for that stuff.

but i dont get exactly what you are worried about...the car having been in a major accident and the owner not telling you about it? The mileage having been altered? if you can be sure that the mileage hasnt been messed with then i would say go for it...as long as it hasnt been in an accident or anything major. I mean if it has a fresh coat of paint on it all the better for you right?

·
Registered
444 Posts
Where are you? USA? It looked like that car was on the loading docks near a port. I'm sure you've checked on this, but I just feel like mentioning it. If it was imported directly from Japan (rear wiper, folding mirrors...mmm), and hasn't been cleared by Customs or Travel Safety Board you may have to pay some fees to get it on the road or to have it modified to comply with US safety regulations. That can be really expensive (I researched this when I was thinking of bringing a car back with me...changed my mind quick). If it is a real JDM car, when you buy it, you should get a copy of all work done to make the car meet US regulations (or something that says none was needed), because on down the road you may need to prove it was done. Also, the seller should give you the original import documents - US Customs, Shipping Recipts, all that crap, you may never need it, but if you do you'll have no way of tracking down all that paper. Hope this helped, and wasn't just morning coffee nonsense.
oh yeah, the average street price here for a stock, used, mid mileagle 4g in good condition from a private seller (not dealers) is about $2-3,000 US Dollars.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just a bit worried about buying a piece of crap as i dont have much experience buying cars. The vtec has not been registered over here, it is straight off the boat from japan! Looking at the exterior theres no orange peel, every pannel is striaght and in line, will have to check the strip on the back and find out how it should look and the other stuff mentioned, the guy has given me first refusal on the car so i have plenty of time to check it out, the only things that were out of line were the nostrils which drew my attention to the spray. Ive wanted a jdm gen4 lude for ages now, our euro (uk) vtecs have a lower spec 183bhp, 0-100 mph 17.1 which is a bit slower but to be honest it would be alot easier to buy a euro model.

Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
444 Posts
so you're in Europe? Did I miss that in your first post? sorry. What I was talking about, the registration and customs, was for America, but I"m sure the system wherever you are is similar, look into it. The seller should to tell you if you have any obligation to do modifications or paperwork. Probably already done before it was put on sale, that makes the most sense. good luck!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah the guy said if im interested leave a deposit then he will register and prepare it for use on british roads. Having the money to buy but no decent ludes for sale is like torture, just need to be patient... :sleep

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
mrford said:
Just a bit worried about buying a piece of crap as i dont have much experience buying cars. The vtec has not been registered over here, it is straight off the boat from japan! Looking at the exterior theres no orange peel, every pannel is striaght and in line, will have to check the strip on the back and find out how it should look and the other stuff mentioned, the guy has given me first refusal on the car so i have plenty of time to check it out, the only things that were out of line were the nostrils which drew my attention to the spray. Ive wanted a jdm gen4 lude for ages now, our euro (uk) vtecs have a lower spec 183bhp, 0-100 mph 17.1 which is a bit slower but to be honest it would be alot easier to buy a euro model.

Thanks for your help.

yeah if the nostrils arent aligned right it sounds like the previous owner just popped them out to paint them (for looks) and wasnt able to put them back in straight. I doubt the car was repainted.

·
Registered
333 Posts
It looks bloody clean, mate. I say Go for it. Over here, of the few 4th Gen's that I see on the road, I'd say about half of them have had their nostrils painted. The leather condition sounds disappointing, but can you live with it for now?. You could always get it re-trimmed at some stage.
If you decide to buy it, take the ferry across the Solent to IOW, drive to Shanklin and take a steaming dump on my old front lawn please? Thank you! :D

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
:) , looked over the car again and i cant spot overspray or orange peel anywhere, the grey strip on the rear bumper is still grey with no signs of overspray and the paint on the bumper matches the same finish found on the rest of the car, sure there are a couple of scratches here and there but generally she is in exceptionally good condition, im going to sort out a price tomorrow and hopefully i will finally get my jdm prelude after all this waiting!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts