Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys-

I'm going to be a freshman in college next year and i was looking to buy a laptop in the summer for college next year. I want to create my own laptop at dells website just for pricing and realized that what i want, gets to be a little pricey. I have a oppinion question for you guys. Is it better to just spend around 1500 and get a descent laptop and upgrade in maybe 2 years or maybe 3, or would you rather just spend like 2500-3000 and get what you really want now but it would have to be kept for much longer! I would kidna like the second option, but since computers get outdates so easily, i'm not sure what to really do! For the first time, I was actually thinking about getting a apple too, i'm not sure why, but it just kinda came across my head.

Any college students who bought their laptop, or anyone who has a oppinion plz give me your input. Thanks!

-I4k20c-

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
www.notebookforums.com

check out the sager 3790 i think it is. if you're not that afraid of putting your own computer together then putting a laptop together shouldn't be that much more of a step. people seem to have good luck with them and they're pretty damn rugged. the only problem will be the warranty. it's an oem so the different parts are warranted not the whole computer.

·
Registered
2,369 Posts
dell gives out lots of coupon.

a 1500 dollar dell can usually be had for 800-900 taxed and shipped.

go read through slickdeals.net for the dell coupons.

·
Registered
5,973 Posts
Everyone i've met or known who's gotten an ibook or powerbook have loved them.
I know a few people who edit whole videos/movies and or do graphics stuff (Adobe After Effects) do it on their Apple laptops. Practical, great os (OSX), great everything.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah it's not like I have anything against apple, it's just I've never had one of my own. I'm in graphic arts, so ofcourse i'm familiar with apple (Typestyler, Adobe Indesign, etc.)! I was just thinking though that since i have a Windows computer at home, it mite be easier just to get a windows! IDK, it'd be nice to try something different.

I'm a noob when it comes to technical specs with apple and stuff, so it'd be nice if somone could help me. When i look on the specs for processor speed, it says like 1.0 Ghz or 1.2 Ghz or something alot lower than the Pentium 2.6-3.0 Ghz. Do they go on a different scale or something, or is the apple really slower? Cuz i just took a brief look at the apple site, and its just that most of them seem to have less ram, and less processor speed than the windows laptops, but i'm not sure how that works.

Also, what exactly is like wi-fi? You know how when you go to starbucks they say wifi enabled, etc. (I know i sound really dumb right now, and i apoligize for this...) what does that exactly mean? Does that mean i can connect and surf the web? Do i need additional service to surf web, or is it free, etc..

-Thank You Guys..
I really already appreciate your help but am just curious, since i've never made sucha big purchase on my own (being 17 and all)...

No one answered my original question tho, lol! Would you rather spend less money and get a new laptop in 2-3 years, or spend lots of money and keep the labtop throughout college and even than some?

Again, thanks for any help!

·
Registered
5,973 Posts
buy the cheapest ibook for now.
And yes, the macs and pc's are on a different scale, processor wise.
Here at my work we have a 400-600mhz G4 tower, that is pretty old, and seriously it's not really any noticibly slower than my Dell 2.4ghz tower i have at home, that i don't use anymore.
If you get a 1.25ghz or so Apple computer, it's probably at least a 2.0ghz pentium processor, prob a lil more.
If you know anyone with an Apple, you should ask them and try out their computer.
Also go to the Apple store near you and try the comps out, and ask for info.

·
Registered
7,597 Posts
i wouldnt spend very much on a laptop. if it's for school certainly dont try to buy one for gaming. if i were you i'd either get an IBM X40, you can get them for around $1500 (dont spend the $ for extra ram from ibm, upgrade it yourself after; it's easy to do)

http://thetechzone.com/?m=show&id=105
http://www.trustedreviews.com/article.aspx?art=511

or if you go mac, get a G4 iBook. the powebook is nice, but not worth the extra $ imo. just make sure if you go w/ the G4 ibook go get the 14" not the 12". the screen on the 12" isnt fantastic. (same w/ the apple. just get your memory afterwards. macmall.com has decent prices on tested compatible ibook ram)

if you want to game; take the extra money and build yourself a machine specifically for gaming. you will have 2 computers that serve their purpose much better than any 1 $3000 laptop.

dell does not make very sturdy laptops from my experiences. ive owned 3 of them thusfar and only 1 was decent. it was also as heavy as a sack of pennies. IBM makes about the best notebooks for business & net applicaitons; but they have a premium cost. the keyboards are unmatched in their feel; which is important if you're going to be spending hours every day typing in notes.

so those are my recommendations. if you go PC get a IBM X40 for thin and light (or if you want a bigger screen get a T42). or Apple, go w/ the 14" G4 iBook.

·
Registered
828 Posts
Be careful buying a laptop to go to college with. there are people that break into rooms and stuff and steal them I have had a few friends that have had there laptops stolen right out of there apartments and dorm rooms.

If I were you I would buy a desktop comp cause they are a little bit more visible if someone’s taking it out of your room.

·
Registered
7,597 Posts
lemansfreak2004 said:
Be careful buying a laptop to go to college with. there are people that break into rooms and stuff and steal them I have had a few friends that have had there laptops stolen right out of there apartments and dorm rooms.

If I were you I would buy a desktop comp cause they are a little bit more visible if someone’s taking it out of your room.
true. he can buy a safe and bolt it to his desk. keep it in there when he doesn't have it w/ him. that might work. might. :)

·
Registered
19,132 Posts
get a Kensington Lock...

there's a place to insert the lock on any product that Apple makes..even their iPods

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
///M3ssican said:
get a Kensington Lock...

there's a place to insert the lock on any product that Apple makes..even their iPods
that won't exactly stop people from stealing the laptop tho, will it? i mean if they were going to steal a laptop all they're thinking about is, "I'm going to snag that laptop." they aren't wondering if it's got an electronic lock on it. and even if it does i'm sure there's a way around it.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts