Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
7,273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can someone please enlighten me on the difference between the two types. I was looking to buy a different motor for my car and the site i was looking at had it with hydraulic and another with cable. Could you tell which is better/worse and whats the main difference.

·
Registered
6,555 Posts
on the cable tranny the clutch is connected to your clutch pedal via cable.
on the hydro tranny your pedal is connected to a master cylinder which sends oil (under pressure) to a slave cylinder thats connected to the tranny which in turn pushes in the clutch fork.

from 92+ i belive all civics had hydro tranmsissions and the integras from 94+

hydro is better IMO.

·
Registered
131 Posts
clutch differences

the main difference is the actuation of the clutch. the cable type uses a cable and springs to move the clutch and the hydrolic uses brake fluid to pressuize a cylinder to move the clutch. hydrolic trannsmissions are much better because they have a lot more engauging force. cable transmissions are much cheaper though. if you have an older civic you will want to stay cable becuase converting from cable to hydrolic is very hard! we did it to my friends 91 si and it took like 2 weeks of work and it was way hard.

·
Registered
478 Posts
its a myth about the cable transmissions not having clutch/pressure plate engaging force.

its largely a matter of personel preference, most honda cable transmissions have a more "direct" feel and can provide easier drag launches with an upgraded clutch.

they have less of a sloppy "slip slip" feel. NOW, if your doign things like autocrossing and track days, then a hydrolic clutch can IMO feel a bit better for rev matching and slipping around turns(providing you have the power) when obviosuly your not "launching".

but to say one is overall "better" is a over generalized statement in my opinion.

what kind of car do u have/setup and what do u wish to do with it??

·
Registered
7,273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Right now its pretty much stock. 98 dx coupe D16y7 with CAI and cat-back, sport springs just little here and there to make a little more fun to drive. I was just wondering about the cable/hydraulic cause of the site i was looking at for a motor. But mainly looking to do an overall set up that would take well to drag and autocross. But I just started a job and right now the plan is save till i have the money to upgrade the car. Not exactly sure what engine I want yet. Any insight to what motor could be effective in both types of racing?

Oh yeah thanks for the info in the tranny yall. :number1

·
Registered
5,438 Posts
98civcEK said:
Right now its pretty much stock. 98 dx coupe D16y7 with CAI and cat-back, sport springs just little here and there to make a little more fun to drive. I was just wondering about the cable/hydraulic cause of the site i was looking at for a motor. But mainly looking to do an overall set up that would take well to drag and autocross. But I just started a job and right now the plan is save till i have the money to upgrade the car. Not exactly sure what engine I want yet. Any insight to what motor could be effective in both types of racing?

Oh yeah thanks for the info in the tranny yall. :number1

those two types of racing are like oil and water

for drag, the suspension doesnt matter and the motor is critical
for autox, the motor doesnt matter and the suspension is critical

·
Registered
7,273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I know that they are two different types with completely different ways of tuning for each but if you think that suspension has little to do with drag then you are mistaken. If you don't have suspension setup the car is gonna either spin the tire half way down the track, just like a supra will, or it will shift the weight in the car too much to the rear and cause FWD cars to completlely loose any chance of running a "good time". I understand your point that they are different but if you can setup your car for autox with the suspension and have the motor with the hp to get you down the strip then you have an overall car that can compete in both. But I'm not even sure we have autox in my area cause if we did i think i would have heard somthing. The only rerason i said for autox was because i knew that suspension was key and if you can tune for that then you suspension must be good for other things to.

·
Registered
7,625 Posts
hobie237 said:
I disagree with both statements. Everything on a car is important for whatever kind of racing you do, and if you want to maximize your performance in either arena each area should be designed and prepared for what you want to do with it.
Tremendous gains can be had in drag racing through chassis prep, primarily to control weight transfer and keep it on the drive wheels. Since all cars squat on the rear wheels when launching, this is even more important to work on with FWD drag cars.

Yes it auto-X suspension is most important, but if your engine sucks then the guy with a prepped chassis AND engine is going to flog you.

·
Registered
7,273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Actually i'm not lazy i'd rather hear from people with more experience than i do in setups and whatever else. rather than just read. And I didn't mean the distance future. I have one semester left in school and it costs alot for classes, apartment, and such thats y i have no money. I'll have the swap by the end of this year but i'd rather find the stuff out i need to know now then wait till i have some money and then find out that i need more and not have it cause i spent it on something else. Thats y i joined this forum was to research what i wanted to know and figure out prices on stuff which i have. Sorry if you think that its pointless but to me its a way to get info and gain knowledge.

·
Registered
5,438 Posts
98civcEK said:
Actually i'm not lazy i'd rather hear from people with more experience than i do in setups and whatever else. rather than just read. And I didn't mean the distance future. I have one semester left in school and it costs alot for classes, apartment, and such thats y i have no money. I'll have the swap by the end of this year but i'd rather find the stuff out i need to know now then wait till i have some money and then find out that i need more and not have it cause i spent it on something else. Thats y i joined this forum was to research what i wanted to know and figure out prices on stuff which i have. Sorry if you think that its pointless but to me its a way to get info and gain knowledge.

search superhonda and you get the same info from the same people without annoying them

proper mod progression: DRIVER, suspension, motor, body

i would seriously advise for limited budgets doing suspension work before the motor. you will notice it better in everyday driving

·
Registered
478 Posts
hobie237 said:
those two types of racing are like oil and water

<flame>....obviosuly you have water and oil in your brain</flame>

=) no hard feelings.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.