Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4,605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i currently have an AEM short ram, but when i got my motor work done, i've noticed that the motor suffers from heat soak in the intake charge. i then decided that switching to an AEM cold air would solve this problem. however, i like the throttle response the short ram gives me and i know i'd lose it if i switched over.

anyway, my friend gave me a lightweight billet aluminum throttle body rotor that's smaller and lighter than the stock throttle body rotor. would this solve the throttle response concern if i switched over to the CAI?

thanks in advance.

·
Registered
8,144 Posts
Wouldn't do a thing. The throttle rotor (I assume you mean the throttle plate?) weighs almost nothing - the weight of that plate pivoting cannot be felt and even if it were insanely heavy would not actually slow down your throttle response, just would take a touch more effort on the pedal.

Anything concerning the throttle itself won't "fix" the problem itself because it's the CAI's long piping that causes the slight delay. You might try a Comptech airbox, as it's kinda-sorta a short ram that draws air from the typical cold-air area. Actually now that I think of it that probably wouldn't be much/any better... I dunno you'll just have to live with it! Advanced timing helps throttle response and a light flywheel can make the engine feel and react in a much livelier way.

·
Registered
4,605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
White98LS said:
Wouldn't do a thing. The throttle rotor (I assume you mean the throttle plate?) weighs almost nothing - the weight of that plate pivoting cannot be felt and even if it were insanely heavy would not actually slow down your throttle response, just would take a touch more effort on the pedal.

Anything concerning the throttle itself won't "fix" the problem itself because it's the CAI's long piping that causes the slight delay. You might try a Comptech airbox, as it's kinda-sorta a short ram that draws air from the typical cold-air area. Actually now that I think of it that probably wouldn't be much/any better... I dunno you'll just have to live with it! Advanced timing helps throttle response and a light flywheel can make the engine feel and react in a much livelier way.
yeah i figured the lightweight part wouldn't make a difference. however, it does considerably reduce the diameter of the rotor. would that aspect of it make a difference?

·
Registered
4,479 Posts
flyracerx said:
yeah i figured the lightweight part wouldn't make a difference. however, it does considerably reduce the diameter of the rotor. would that aspect of it make a difference?
He's not talking about the throttle plate in the TB, he's talking about the rotor that the throttle cable connects to. To answer your question, you will get zero performance from it. You might think that its better in your mind, but in all reality you'll get nothing.

·
Registered
5,517 Posts
you could accomplish the same thing as that rotor advertises by tightening up the throttle cable. if you're worried about heatsoak, look into one of the intake manifold gaskets offered by hondata, passwordjdm, outlaw engineering, etc.

·
Banned
1,160 Posts
those things are garbage. It might actually hurt performance.

·
Registered
8,144 Posts
Prelude94' said:
those things are garbage. It might actually hurt performance.
Which things? The throttle rotor (which will do nothing) or the Hondata IM gasket, which does work and which I have?

·
Banned
1,160 Posts
White98LS said:
Which things? The throttle rotor (which will do nothing) or the Hondata IM gasket, which does work and which I have?
i was talking about the rotor.

·
Registered
4,605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
hurting the performance was right. not only was it retardedly designed, it also screwed with my throttle position sensor. my vafc was reading 72% at full throttle. we had to remove the damn throttle body to fix it. my friend saved the day :clap so back to stock i go.

anyway, what's the deal with the hondata gasket?

·
Registered
8,144 Posts
Good move going back to stock. :)

The Hondata gasket is a thick plastic reusable intake manifold gasket that insulates heat, preventing heat from the head from seeping into the intake manifold itself, keeping intake air temps down. It actually works, I had a great article done by a private citizen but I can't find it. I have one on my car and it's nice, not so fun to scrape the stock one off though.

·
Banned
1,160 Posts
flyracerx said:
hurting the performance was right. not only was it retardedly designed, it also screwed with my throttle position sensor. my vafc was reading 72% at full throttle. we had to remove the damn throttle body to fix it. my friend saved the day :clap so back to stock i go.

anyway, what's the deal with the hondata gasket?

thats exactly what i was talking about, if you change the diameter of the rotor its not going to open all the way or open too much.

·
Registered
4,605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
yeah. remind me never to trust anything from weapon-r ever again. i knew i shouldn't have messed with it in the first place.. but who could resist the call of free car parts.. :drool

anyway, how much is the hondata gasket? i'll probably be getting one when i get my CAI. mMm.. cooler air feels good :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.