Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
1,332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sticky for California Smog laws?

THREAD NOTES

okay, rules to this sticky are simple:

only post relevent information in this thread, and please don't use the board as a one on one messenger service.

-UltraMagneticAL

· Registered
1,332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
yea I heard about the dyno and NOx tests. I think all smog shops that are wanting to stay open must update their stations by the end of this year or something by installing a dyno machine.

· Registered
1,332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
ok a general question which Im sure is answered in the summary you stated above....... If I was to swap a b16a yes jdm engine in say a 94 civic..... what are the smog laws restricting or what things must I do to make it legal ( Im sure a visit to the ref would make it final) but what things would need to be changed on the engine and what not to make things legit

· Registered
1,332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #168 ·
Well it may pass the visual test but aftermarket parts that are stamped CARB legal can still cause your car to fail due to ie. increased fuel flow,increased air flow, etc.
scottigee said:
The AEM CAI and cat back won't affect smog since the AEM is CARB certified and you can do anything you want after the catalytic converter without affecting emissions.
Where you may have trouble is with the JDM motor running an OBD I ecu and higher compression. JDM motors have so much trouble passing on cars newer than 96 is because they are OBD I and in the US all tegs after '96 ran OBD II. I"m not sure how 'plug n play' an OBD II computer is....maybe you could just plug one in if you could get your hands on it but you would need all the emissions control equipment off the engine that goes with the computer.....right down to the (expensive) cat.
This is why I just went with a USDM motor.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.