Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

181 - 200 of 214 Posts

·
Registered
2,265 Posts
wow, congrats shaolin....I would have said you couldn't pass using a '94 motor but it sounds like you did your research and got all the necessary work done.
well done!
:btu

·
Registered
1 Posts
h22 legal in SF?

Hey, i met this dude on HONDAACURA.net and he's tryin to sell me a 96 JDM H22 for $1500. Comes w/ all the goodies or wut not, but WILL I PASS SMOG? I live in San Francisco, so I have no idea whether this thing will pass. I know it has OBD II cuz of the 96, but other than that, i'm lost...lets get me unlossed guys...

·
Super Ban-Finger Mod
21,367 Posts
sorry if i couldn't be of much help last night, i was studying for a final i have today.

okay, so you have an obd2 car 98, right? so what you basically need is for all the vacuum lines to match up w/ the prelude and egr and basically get all the sensors to work with no CEL. it's up to your installer to get it right basically. the motor isn't a big factor, as long as you keep everything obd2, you'll be fine.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just bought an 94 integra gsr. it is hook up to a p28 ecu chip and vtec controller and tune by autowave. i was wonderning if i need to
do anything special to pass smog, Im getting hook up though.

thanks in advance

·
Registered
6,716 Posts
Okay so just to show, even SHO vets visit these threads and READ all the pages. :hehe
Through the reading I am gathering a few things;

-To get the motor SMOG legal and get the BAR sticker (To show the swap is legal) you must visit the state ref.

-To successfullly pass State ref inspection the motor MUST be USDM and of the same vehicle class as well. (Accord/prelude - Teg/Teg - Civic/Civic)

-To sucessfully pass the vacuum lines diagram on the hood must match the vacuum lines hookup on the motor. To do this on swapped motors, get the sticker from Honda and affix it under the hood

-JDM motors are automatic fail, HOWEVER this seems to be a case by case basis. This guestimate can be made upon the knowledge of the inspector?

-To get the motor to pass successfully you must be the SAME YEAR OR NEWER OBD(x) system

-EVERYTHING under the hood for emissions must be hooked up, right down to the knock sensor.

Here is my list of questions
I have a 5 spd, 95 Accord ex, which is a OBDI system.
I will be swapping a BLACK TOP OBDI JDM h22 into this car

1. I will be staying with the Accord intake manifold and throttle body in order to keep my cruise control and not have to fab any bracket.

Question:
Will this pass or will this be more than likely to fail me?

2. I will be doing the swap myself and I understand the wiring changes that will have to occur. I understand that vacuum lines which will need to be altered a bit from the accord to a prelude layout. I also understand the mounts will be nearly the same and modification will need to be done.
I also understand the belts will need to be measured and then go to the store and get the right ones. I understand the fuel rail issue and the PS and alt issue.

Question(s):
-Do you feel that I can use OEM mounts (New) or should I upgrade them now to polyurethane?
-What is your feeling on the m2b4 Tranny. Get it and upgrade it from there or stick with a regular h22 tranny and then go out and get a aftermarket LSD installed in there.

3. Keeping in mind my car is a 95 Accord, and that I will be swapping a OBDI JDM h22. Assuming I get the exhaust system mated up, the wiring changes done, the PS line altered and put in. I run seafoam, check for codes, and visit the ref

-Should I do the auto to manual tensioner conversion now to avoid that bish in the future or will that cause me to fail visual?
- What other issues do you foresee as a more experienced swap mechanic that I may run into?

In order to make this swap completely LEGAL in the state of california I understand a visit to the State ref is needed. The state ref will inspect the motor and make sure all emissions and related components are properly installed and working. (Check my logic here) Once the motor passes the visual and smog test, the motor will be legal in the state of california. Correct or no? If I am missing something, please help me out

The state ref will also check the motor to ensure it was not stolen (Check my logic here) Once that is done and the above is satisfied, the swap will be deemed legal and I get the pretty sticker. (Confirm?)

·
Super Ban-Finger Mod
21,367 Posts
TSM_Pikachu said:
-To successfullly pass State ref inspection the motor MUST be USDM and of the same vehicle class as well. (Accord/prelude - Teg/Teg - Civic/Civic)
you can have jdm motors too as long as they make a cousin motor here. ie, JDM H22A and USDM H22A4....but you can't swap in say a skyline motor into a silvia because there's no RB motors here in the US.

-To sucessfully pass the vacuum lines diagram on the hood must match the vacuum lines hookup on the motor. To do this on swapped motors, get the sticker from Honda and affix it under the hood
no need for the vacuum diagram sticker. the ref has a book to follow

-To get the motor to pass successfully you must be the SAME YEAR OR NEWER OBD(x) system
you can have an older motor, just the have to keep same obd system or better.

-EVERYTHING under the hood for emissions must be hooked up, right down to the knock sensor.
right down to the egr and ALL vacuum lines

1. I will be staying with the Accord intake manifold and throttle body in order to keep my cruise control and not have to fab any bracket.

Question:
Will this pass or will this be more than likely to fail me?
i swapped my lude tb w/ my accord tb and they are very similar. just hook the TP and MAP sensors and the coolant lines and explain to the ref why it looks a little different if he asks.

i'll answer the rest later....i have to go to school right now :hehe

·
Super Ban-Finger Mod
21,367 Posts
TSM_Pikachu said:
Question(s):
-Do you feel that I can use OEM mounts (New) or should I upgrade them now to polyurethane?
-What is your feeling on the m2b4 Tranny. Get it and upgrade it from there or stick with a regular h22 tranny and then go out and get a aftermarket LSD installed in there.
not really a question pertaining to the topic of smog, but i'll answer anyways. oem mounts are okay, but they'll have to be slightly modified....and any modification to oem parts can compromise it's ability to perform its function. and if you're going brand new OEM mounts, there's really no point in modifying them, might as well get brand new urethane as the urethane is definately the best way to go. the cheapest though is to use the mounts that come w/ the motor from the yard....oh and every brand name aftermarket LSD is WAAAYYYY better than the OEM.

-Should I do the auto to manual tensioner conversion now to avoid that bish in the future or will that cause me to fail visual?
the timing belt cover should be in place. if it's not there i think you might fail visual. and if it is in place, they won't see the manual tensioner. i don't think they'll get down that crazy especially since it's not really part of the emissions system.

4. Once the motor passes the visual and smog test, the motor will be legal in the state of california. Correct or no? If I am missing something, please help me out
the order is like this: pass visual, pass sniffer, get certificates and stickers, affix sticker, be legal.

The state ref will also check the motor to ensure it was not stolen (Check my logic here) Once that is done and the above is satisfied, the swap will be deemed legal and I get the pretty sticker. (Confirm?)
if you can produce receipts from the place you bought it from, then you shouldn't have a big issue here if using a jdm motor w/ no VIN number. it might actually be better to pay the junkyard w/ some sort of debit/credit card so the ref can see the purchase was legit.

·
Registered
2,850 Posts
okay so it looks like the D15B Vtec swap i've been considering won't pass because there's no real direct counterpart to it here in the US. what about if i swap in a D16Z6 (or Y8, doesn't matter really), but then use the D15B Vtec head with the P08 ECU? anyone have any idea how that would affect me? how do you tell the difference between a Z6 or Y8 head and a D15B head anyway? i know that usually there's a serial number stamped into the head, but what is the difference between those?

·
Registered
175 Posts
I've got a question about smog laws for those from out of state. If I choose to go to a university in California, would I be subject to the cali smog laws?

·
Super Ban-Finger Mod
21,367 Posts
a lot of people i know who go to school out here don't even change their plates....if you don't have cali plates, you won't get smogged here. but if you need to have a smog check done to register your home plates, then you may have to go home to have it done.

·
Registered
175 Posts
cool, thanks. unfortunately it looks like oregon and washington are going to adopt the cali smog laws. washington will pass the laws if oregon does, and our governor here has lobbied for it.

http://www.sierraclub.org/pressroom/releases/pr2005-04-23.asp

:(

im under the impression that in california you can't swap a JDM motor in your car (ie ZC) right? So if I swap in a ZC into my CRX before the clean air laws take place in oregon... will it be considered legal once they do come into effect? (the swap took place before it was outlawed, so the government can't penalize me for it)

·
Registered
86 Posts
NAKEDCIVIC said:
if you do an engine swap like a 96 h22 in a 95 civic hb and ugo to smog it do they look at the engine #

yes always they have a book to check to make sure you have a motor that is legal... bummer that oregon and washington are trying to do that too now im so glad im in florida now and dont have to worry about that junk.. cali is such bs

·
Registered
439 Posts
i have a book that tells me what is legal swap into almost any honda. here is what i can remember off the top of my head:

Civic- Any D to B series is legal
Integra- Any D to B series is legal
Prelude- Any H or F series is legal(not sure for the S2000 motor, if you decide to do this)
CRX- Any D to B series is legal
Accord- Any H to F series legal(not sure for the S2000 motor, if you decide to do this)
RSX- Any K series motor or if the RSX comes out with a new motor in it in the future

(I dont have too much info on the K-series swaps, if anyone knows please add too this list)

JUST REMEMBER THAT THE ENTIRE SWAP MUST BE THE SAME OR NEWER YEAR TO THE CAR THAT IS RECEIVING THE SWAP. If I had missed anything i will post it up or you guys can ask me or add to my info.

·
Registered
2,265 Posts
the matchups you mention are a function of the rule that the motor must be from the same duty chassis in the donor car as the new host car that it is going into. I've also heard a more specific rule (that I'm not sure is true) that some motor in the series must come in the new host chassis in some form from the factory.
If the second rule is not true then K's are legal in EP/DC5 and older civics/integras

·
Super Ban-Finger Mod
21,367 Posts
what book was this? i have the california vehicle code book...basically a 2000+ page book w/ ALL the laws here in california pertaining to vehicles. and in the section about engine swaps, there's nothing there specifically for hondas mentioning what engine is allowed for what car or anything similar.

·
Registered
20,271 Posts
liljoker said:
i have a book that tells me what is legal swap into almost any honda. here is what i can remember off the top of my head:

Civic- Any D to B series is legal
Integra- Any D to B series is legal
Prelude- Any H or F series is legal(not sure for the S2000 motor, if you decide to do this)
CRX- Any D to B series is legal
Accord- Any H to F series legal(not sure for the S2000 motor, if you decide to do this)
RSX- Any K series motor or if the RSX comes out with a new motor in it in the future

(I dont have too much info on the K-series swaps, if anyone knows please add too this list)

JUST REMEMBER THAT THE ENTIRE SWAP MUST BE THE SAME OR NEWER YEAR TO THE CAR THAT IS RECEIVING THE SWAP. If I had missed anything i will post it up or you guys can ask me or add to my info.
in cali as long as the engine(non truck or SUV motor) is the same year or above as the chassis and meets all emissions requirements den it could be legal.

181 - 200 of 214 Posts