Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
21 - 40 of 214 Posts

· Super Ban-Finger Mod
21,366 Posts
okay kids...as requested. any and all questions about smog will go in this thread.

· Registered
1,332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
ok a general question which Im sure is answered in the summary you stated above....... If I was to swap a b16a yes jdm engine in say a 94 civic..... what are the smog laws restricting or what things must I do to make it legal ( Im sure a visit to the ref would make it final) but what things would need to be changed on the engine and what not to make things legit

· Registered
9,111 Posts
kinghawk said:
ok a general question which Im sure is answered in the summary you stated above....... If I was to swap a b16a yes jdm engine in say a 94 civic..... what are the smog laws restricting or what things must I do to make it legal ( Im sure a visit to the ref would make it final) but what things would need to be changed on the engine and what not to make things legit

well you would need the proper computer system for your year vehicle IE OBD 1/2 and make sure you have all of the emissions devices for that year motor.......now JDM motors according to the BAR and the CARB are automatic fail HOWEVER there are some that pass so this leads me to believe that it is on a CASE TO CASE BASIS

*edit*: a first gen B16a would never pass because we never had the motor in that year, unless you upgrade it to OBD-1

· Registered
9,111 Posts
kinghawk said:
ok heres another scenerio that I just remembered. My brothers friend has a 94 hatch civic with a usdm 95 integra gsr engine in it. What are the smog issues with it.

in california (assuming he lives here because thats where you live) the only way for him to pass inspection is for him to take it to the referee and get the engine smog certified, right now he is classified as a "gross polluter" because his emissions (for the previous motor) are what he should be emitting, and with the new motor he is emitting a whole lot more then that.......after going through the referee process you get a sticker like this

that sticker says you can take your car anywhere to get it LEGALLY smogged.....without that you will have to do an illegal smog.......passing the referee isnt that hard.......i have done it with my car, while it can be a headache depending on what you used it is, in the long run, a beautiful thing to say you have a california SMOG legal swap

· Super Ban-Finger Mod
21,366 Posts
man, i want a sticker like that! uhmm...what does the referee do? cuz i got skunk2 internals w/ stage2 cams....you think that will pass?

· Registered
9,111 Posts
UltraMagneticAL said:
man, i want a sticker like that! uhmm...what does the referee do? cuz i got skunk2 internals w/ stage2 cams....you think that will pass?

the referee will just do a normal smog inspection but they are the only ones who are "certified" to authorize that passing, basically they will ensure that the motor is USDM (JDM will pass on a case to case basis) motor that is from the same duty car (IE a CRV motor in a civic WILL NOT PASS, EVER) they will then check the emissions system and make sure all components for the engine that you have swapped into your car are in place, they will make sure the wiring system is the one it should be (IE OBD 0-2), and then they will alter the data in the system so when they scan the barcode it will come up as X car with Y motor installed and they will change the weight of the vehicle in the system so it should match the numbers more accurately, they will also check to make sure the vacume diagram on your hood matches the engine that you have in your engine bay so either get that sticker from honda or bring the printout from the helms manual, some places will go over the vehicle with a fine toothed comb (these fuckers said my timing connector plug was blue not grey) if you fail the first time, never fear because the second test is free (best $38.50 i ever spent), if you fail the first time it is good to know a guy who does smog so he can do pre-tests for you while you swap parts until you pass, if you do that bring the pre-test print outs with you and that will help speed things along........and as for your situation AL....what i would do is get yourself a V-AFC (hide it, so if you take it to the REF they dont say anything, if they saw it and knew what it did, it would fail) and do some pre-tests, try to lean it out until it passes

· Super Ban-Finger Mod
21,366 Posts
fuck, that's hard....h22's run really, REALLY rich compared to the ULEV f23 buhahhaa

· Registered
9,111 Posts
UltraMagneticAL said:
well we'll see when i run my car on the smog machine today *crossing fingers*

yeah d00d, do an assload of pre-tests and get it running perfectly, thats what we did with mine, pre-test if it fail change something, repeat until it passed and when it passed, it passed like an SULEV civic

21 - 40 of 214 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.