Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

161 - 180 of 214 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Do what we do!

Either you get a hook up, or you run your stock motor get the test and swap out for a better motor.

·
Registered
425 Posts
I was wondering if I were to drop a B18C R in my integra, and make it smog legal. Will my insurance go up cause it's considered a Acura Integra Type R? Or will my insurance be the same, and considered an LS integra?

Also, would I pass smog with a JDM 97 B18C R in my 97 Integra LS.
mods:AEM CAI, Tanabe Racing Medallion Cat Back Exhaust

·
Registered
2,265 Posts
The only reason your insurance would go up is if you payed a premium for "additional equipment" like I do. They have never said anything or changed my rates since the swap.
actually I'm looking right now and my premium actually went down by $160/year!!
They charge for the chassis...as much as you want to tell yourself it's a type-R it won't be. It won't look, handle, or get stolen like a TypeR so they don't care.

The AEM CAI and cat back won't affect smog since the AEM is CARB certified and you can do anything you want after the catalytic converter without affecting emissions.
Where you may have trouble is with the JDM motor running an OBD I ecu and higher compression. JDM motors have so much trouble passing on cars newer than 96 is because they are OBD I and in the US all tegs after '96 ran OBD II. I"m not sure how 'plug n play' an OBD II computer is....maybe you could just plug one in if you could get your hands on it but you would need all the emissions control equipment off the engine that goes with the computer.....right down to the (expensive) cat.
This is why I just went with a USDM motor.

·
Registered
20,271 Posts
Toddnos said:
Ive seen those here in LA.....One word: TERRIFYING!!!!!
Lucky I was in my work truck.......
i heard they have those alot over there. doesnt it fucking suck?

·
Registered
142 Posts
I've been long gone from California, I moved out of CA 4 years ago, smog crap is too strict in California. This car in the pic below is native Washingtonian, which was brand new from the dealer in Seattle, has been here in WA for all of her life. So, it's 48 state federal smog laws.

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
Discussion Starter #168
Well it may pass the visual test but aftermarket parts that are stamped CARB legal can still cause your car to fail due to ie. increased fuel flow,increased air flow, etc.
scottigee said:
The AEM CAI and cat back won't affect smog since the AEM is CARB certified and you can do anything you want after the catalytic converter without affecting emissions.
Where you may have trouble is with the JDM motor running an OBD I ecu and higher compression. JDM motors have so much trouble passing on cars newer than 96 is because they are OBD I and in the US all tegs after '96 ran OBD II. I"m not sure how 'plug n play' an OBD II computer is....maybe you could just plug one in if you could get your hands on it but you would need all the emissions control equipment off the engine that goes with the computer.....right down to the (expensive) cat.
This is why I just went with a USDM motor.

·
Registered
2,618 Posts
headers mainly or shoudl i say header.

header's really hurt sometimes when smog, even if its certified. i remember my homie had some dc sports in his integra gsr and it wouldnt pass, he never knew why, finally swapped it to stock and it passed.

but intake, i think that can pass, header on the other hand will affect more.

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
The thing of it is, all these companies with their CARB legalized components tend to get the CARB Excempt testing done with just that one part on an otherwise stock car. So what would normally pass easily, becomes and issue once the whole setup has been changed. IE: The ole' 92-95 Greddy Turbo kit was CARB legal on the EX/Si's, until someone adds and intercooler, or even changes the exhaust. That much alone would usually cause the emission to increase just enough that it was no longer emissions compliant.

·
Registered
74 Posts
If I have a car registered out of state with a swap that will not pass(EG with CRVTEC) can I be hassled. I am in the military and only live here (San Diego) becuase of the military. My permanent home of residence is in Florida. What can come of this?

·
Registered
2,265 Posts
AE2RSM said:
If I have a car registered out of state with a swap that will not pass(EG with CRVTEC) can I be hassled. I am in the military and only live here (San Diego) becuase of the military. My permanent home of residence is in Florida. What can come of this?
No. Your car doesn't have to comply unless you're trying to register it here. Keep the FL plates on it and you'll be fine. On a similar note you'll notice that Arizona and Nevada cars out here in Southern California sport window tints up front a lot and can't get hassled. You're only responsible to comply with the vehicle restrictions of your registered state.

·
Super Ban-Finger Mod
21,367 Posts
just show the military ID though if you do get hassled....cops usually are really friendly to those who are serving our country :tu

as long as you're not speeding or racing or anything stupid, they'll let you go if it was a routine import pullover

·
Registered
2,265 Posts
UltraMagneticAL said:
just show the military ID though if you do get hassled....cops usually are really friendly to those who are serving our country :tu

as long as you're not speeding or racing or anything stupid, they'll let you go if it was a routine import pullover
Yeah that's a great point. My GF's military ID has helped us out NUMEROUS times.....greases the wheels of justice if you know what I mean.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Thanks for the input.

·
Registered
19 Posts
AE2RSM said:

It only becomes a problem when you go to get your base stickers renewed. Bases in Cali required you to get a smog before they will give you stickers for your car.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I live here in cali and I have a obd1 zc in my 89 rex the car has been converted to obd1 will I have trouble passing smog here in Cali? or should I go find a D16z6 instead?

·
Registered
2,265 Posts
EFBucket said:
I live here in cali and I have a obd1 zc in my 89 rex the car has been converted to obd1 will I have trouble passing smog here in Cali? or should I go find a D16z6 instead?
As long as the engine is the same year or newer than 1989 you're good. I'm assuming the rex started out OBD-0 right? Converting up is ok as long as you run the zc ECU and all the OEM emissions control equipment.

·
Banned
1,513 Posts
I have a 94 JDM B18c in a 96 hatch and I passed the referee and got my carb sticker! I just had to Convert it to OBD2 wiring. The only hard part was installing an oil pump off of a 96 GSR motor so that it had the crank angle sensor. Supposedly it shouldnt have even passed because of it being an earlier year motor but it was kosher. I failed emissions the first time cuz of high hydrocarbons but going from a dirt K&N filter to a new paper on solved it and I passed with way low emissions.

161 - 180 of 214 Posts