Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
928 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so heres the deal...
when i brake, my car pulls to the left. after a week or 2, i see tons of brake dust on the front left rim, while there is almost nothing on the front right rim. i changed the brake pads about a month ago, and while changing i saw that the outer bracket of the caliper on the driver (left) side had no problems coming off, while the outer bracket of the caliper on the right side wouldnt budge. is this refered to as "seized" or do i need a new full caliper?

also i went to pepboys today and bought a caliper but returned it, because it didnt come with the outer bracket piece that was stuck. that was the problem piece. so i ended up buying a spray that will help free the outer piece. am i doing the right thing? or do u think i need a whole new caliper, along with the outer bracket piece?

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
95hprelude said:
so heres the deal...
when i brake, my car pulls to the left. after a week or 2, i see tons of brake dust on the front left rim, while there is almost nothing on the front right rim. i changed the brake pads about a month ago, and while changing i saw that the outer bracket of the caliper on the driver (left) side had no problems coming off, while the outer bracket of the caliper on the right side wouldnt budge. is this refered to as "seized" or do i need a new full caliper?

also i went to pepboys today and bought a caliper but returned it, because it didnt come with the outer bracket piece that was stuck. that was the problem piece. so i ended up buying a spray that will help free the outer piece. am i doing the right thing? or do u think i need a whole new caliper, along with the outer bracket piece?
Very simple, and you won't have to waste a dime. The calipers go on the bracket where this bracket has two small "pistons" with a rubber bushing (spring acting like)... take the bracket off. Then take off the pistons. The reason I tell you this is that these spring like rubbers sometimes are not put right and water/humidity gets in and rusts these pistons when they need to be lubbed and chromed for free friction. This was happening to my rear left, it was sealed... you could even blow on it and you could see rust particles come out. :eek

Tools:
- sand paper (Metal Polishing) 400 to 1200 grade
- a thick rod as thick as the piston
- high temperature grease

Then follow this:
  1. Take apart the bracket, do one side at a time and remember its configuration.
  2. Clean everything with gasoline or carburator cleaner.
  3. You need to prepare the thick rod for it to be able to hold sand paper for the purpose of sanding down the walls of the brackets where both pistons go.
  4. Once both wholes are done, make sure they are nice and shiny, then polish both pistons. Make sure they end up chormed.
  5. Now spread high temperature grease on the pistons and whole and before reassembling, inspect the rubber bushings for wear or tear... replace if necessary.
  6. Here is the trick, these rubber bushing ends should be inside the barrel to prevent corrosion, is going to take a while but you'll see what I mean.

Hope this helps... sorry I don't have pics since I did this a couple of months ago.

·
Registered
928 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
"The calipers go on the bracket where this bracket has two small "pistons" with a rubber bushing (spring acting like)... take the bracket off. Then take off the pistons."

the problem is that i cant take the braket off the caliper...do i use the spray that i got from pepboys?

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
95hprelude said:
"The calipers go on the bracket where this bracket has two small "pistons" with a rubber bushing (spring acting like)... take the bracket off. Then take off the pistons."

the problem is that i cant take the braket off the caliper...do i use the spray that i got from pepboys?
Raise you car evenly, take off the Brake reservoir cap and take of the brake hose on the caliper, it will relieve some pressure... then take that damn caliper by force!!! :mad

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.