Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

121 - 140 of 146 Posts

·
Registered
6,012 Posts
Obviously, but I'm just pointing out realistic reasons why people are put off by HALO. You are calling it art by saying it's vibrant, using semantics to spin teletubbie colors into vibrant and I'm not knocking bungie, they made it, it's their 'art' but I'm a critic and giving reasons why I and many others don't like it. Saying people should reevaluate why they play a game if they don't like the colors is silly, if I took COD4 and changed the color palet to bright goofy colors, people would be turned off, and I would also argue that if you made HALO gritty with natural colors, it would become more appealing.

Video games are superficial first and foremost, if I have to analyze the game on an artistic level and try and find the inspiration the artist used so I can understand why that person chose some wacky colors to "get it" fuck that. :lol2
Number one, I'm not saying Halo is art because of its 'vibrant colors.' Don't twist my words. What I said was very clear and concise. Number two, is it really me using semantics or is it you exaggerating these 'vibrant' colors to an extent where you suggest it is a sufficient reason to dislike the game?

My point is that if you are going to immediately judge a game based on it's color scheme you REALLY should re-evaluate why you play games. I suppose if this is really the way you think, then games such as Ratchet: Tools of Destruction and Zelda: Wind Waker must also be bad too? It's one or the other, otherwise you are just proving to me that you have double standards.

And honestly, fuck being more appealing. Why should Bungie change their art style for the final game in a series? Obviously they were going for a brighter sci-fi theme, and sales numbers say everything. Take one look at the current sales numbers of Halo 3 and tell me again why Halo needs to be any more appealing than it already is? Just seems like people are getting overly picky as of late...:rolleyes

And by 'get it' I was referring to Halo 3 being a technical achievement and masterpiece. If you don't understand how PM me and I will be more than happy to inform you. ;)

·
Registered
6,012 Posts
The honest truth is, Halo is a first person shooter that was made 'easy' for console users to play, released on a console with very few games, and recieved critical acclaim because it was the first great shooter of it's generation.

Color it however you want, Halo was, and still is, famous, because the 1st one set a standard on consoles.

If Halo CE was released on PC only, you can bet your pretty buttons it wouldn't have made a splash nearly as big (PC sales are proof of this).

Halo 2 had an awesome online component, but even now that is fairly common place (see CoD4, Resistance, and many other titles).

Halo lives off of hype. If you honestly think the tens of millions of dollars had nothing to do with it's sales, you're kidding yourself. When people see Halo commercials on the Discovery Channel, History Channel, and HGTV (I'm not joking btw, the commercial was aired on all these channels) people think it's something big. When Wal-Mart and 7/11 run dedicated check out lines for this game (which were paid for by MS) then people think it's something big.

It's hype. Good game? Sure, not a masterpiece or art by any means (see Okami, Ico, SotC, Everyday Shooter for 'art' in videogames).

CoD4 is CoD2. It's an awesome game, but right now it's selling and addictive because of the new mechanics in the gameplay (leveling, perks, challenges, etc). Not because of hype. This is why Halo 3 is 'failing' so to speak, with it's community, and CoD4 is RAPIDLY growing.

Mark my words, Halo 3's community will not live nearly as long as Halo 2's.
I don't need to make a long winded refute to this post as I normally would, because Boricua already did it for me.

But in a nut shell you are again in the wrong. If Halo was simply 'hype,' then why the unanimously high review scores from every major video-game related press? Why are all games stacked up against Halo for comparison? Why are games that hold promise usually labeled as a possible 'Halo-killer?'

There is a reason for all of this, and it goes far beyond hype. All 3 games in the Halo series are nothing short of amazing. Many of the people who disagree simply just don't care for the game. But then there are the few who go out of their way to pronounce the game as 'trash.' Yep, those are the PS3 fanboys, and you can bet they would be singing a different tune if Halo was an exclusive for the PS3. :lol2

·
Registered
6,012 Posts
Jesus christ you people are stupid.

First, please learn to type, write, or speak english. I understand you are bilingual, I appluad you for that, as most americans aren't even smart enough to speak english by itself, but please write out your words. If you are going to make a point, try not to do so while using 'u' and 'plz' in a serious manner.

Second, I never 'defended' Call of Duty 4. I don't have to, the game is marvelous on it's own.

What I am doing, is shitting on Halo 3, because the hype train you can't seem to get off of is crashing into a wall of shit. There's no secret that the Halo community is dying, especially since Bungie is probably finished with the Halo franchise for the next few years.

If you can't see yourself that Halo 3 was rushed out and PRODUCED just to make money, then you're saying it to be content with your purchase, I'd hate to feel like I wasted $60 too.

But to say Halo 3 is anything more than Halo 2 with a few minor tweaks is silly, and it's hardly deserving of it's review scores (especially when you consider the hundreds of $800 swag bags MS fluffed the media with).

CoD4 > Halo 3 in every way, plain and simple, cut and dry. Both are shooters, both in the same genre, that's all that need to be said, apples to apples comparison.
Back to your old antics of calling names and insulting the intelligence of others, I see. Maybe instead of focusing on the spelling and grammatical mistakes of others, you could try to construct an argument that actually consists of logic and facts, instead of vague, opinionated statements.

Or, here's a concept, try to cut down on the controversy for fuck's sake. Is there a single thread in which you cannot help but go off on tangents in hope of creating side-disquisitions and arguments? We all know you don't like Halo, we knew that a long time ago. We get it. So please, lay off.

As far as objective goes, you have about the most objective opinion as someone can have. You have a pre-conceived notion for which console is the best based on brand name alone, need I say more?

Oh, and Halo 3 being nothing more than "Halo 2 with a few minor tweaks," well, to put it simply that statement is nothing short of ridiculous. Besides expected improvements such as graphics, weapons, maps, etc. Bungie went the extra mile and gave Halo 3 a rich feature set unlike anything ever seen in a videogame to date.

Finally, the Halo community dieing anytime in the next 5 years MINIMUM is a joke. Besides having the best online component of any console game available at this point, Bungie isn't about to drop the game dead in the water. New maps/playlists will be made available every so often to keep the game fresh. The on-line population always seems around the half million mark, although on quite a few occasions I've seen that number rocket well past one million. Dieing? I don't think so.

·
Registered
6,012 Posts
Halo 3 is and was a waste of everyones time and money :lol:

You can argue all you want, but you're talking from a fans perspective, so it's not objective. Halo 3 sold big numbers because of hype. W/out that hype, Halo 3 would have sold less than Halo 2 easily. It wasn't user created hype, it was media induced, plain and simple.

And CoD4 does > Halo 3 because the combat and promotion system is far more rewarding, detailed, and advanced.
I missed this the first time through, but see my above two posts. This is quite possibly THE dumbest thing I have ever heard you say.

It REALLY must pain you that Halo is such a runaway success to provoke a statement such as this:

"Halo 3 is and was a waste of everyones time and money :lol"

1. Halo sold so much because it was an amazing game, not because of advertising.

2. Get over it and move on with your life.

3. Stop being a fanboy.

4. The End.

·
Premium Member
6,822 Posts
i still think COD is better, but thats just my opinion....i played halo2 and the beta for halo3, it was fun for sure, but at the same time it was like "this is what all the hype is about??" to each his own i guess

·
Registered
6,012 Posts
i still think COD is better, but thats just my opinion....i played halo2 and the beta for halo3, it was fun for sure, but at the same time it was like "this is what all the hype is about??" to each his own i guess
That is exactly it though... it is not 'wrong' for you to like one or the other, it is only 'wrong' for you to tell other people what they like is not as 'good' as what you like. It's opinion, and no one person's is worth more than any another.

That statement you just used says it all, and I quote, "to each his own."

·
Registered
13,249 Posts
Number one, I'm not saying Halo is art because of its 'vibrant colors.' Don't twist my words. What I said was very clear and concise. Number two, is it really me using semantics or is it you exaggerating these 'vibrant' colors to an extent where you suggest it is a sufficient reason to dislike the game?

My point is that if you are going to immediately judge a game based on it's color scheme you REALLY should re-evaluate why you play games. I suppose if this is really the way you think, then games such as Ratchet: Tools of Destruction and Zelda: Wind Waker must also be bad too? It's one or the other, otherwise you are just proving to me that you have double standards.

And honestly, fuck being more appealing. Why should Bungie change their art style for the final game in a series? Obviously they were going for a brighter sci-fi theme, and sales numbers say everything. Take one look at the current sales numbers of Halo 3 and tell me again why Halo needs to be any more appealing than it already is? Just seems like people are getting overly picky as of late...:rolleyes

And by 'get it' I was referring to Halo 3 being a technical achievement and masterpiece. If you don't understand how PM me and I will be more than happy to inform you. ;)
Bla bla bla bla bla. We have all stated many times before, different strokes for different folks.

·
MSP
6,618 Posts
Finally, the Halo community dieing anytime in the next 5 years MINIMUM is a joke. Besides having the best online component of any console game available at this point, Bungie isn't about to drop the game dead in the water. New maps/playlists will be made available every so often to keep the game fresh. The on-line population always seems around the half million mark, although on quite a few occasions I've seen that number rocket well past one million. Dieing? I don't think so.
Oh not to mention that xmas is coming around and the reason why the game was released around the end of the year was because of xmas. so all of a sudden i'm going to expect a huge leap in numbers of players playing halo 3.

we'll see.

·
Registered
6,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #135
Oh, and Halo 3 being nothing more than "Halo 2 with a few minor tweaks," well, to put it simply that statement is nothing short of ridiculous. Besides expected improvements such as graphics, weapons, maps, etc. Bungie went the extra mile and gave Halo 3 a rich feature set unlike anything ever seen in a videogame to date.

Say what? Unlike anything ever see nin a videogame to date? Jokes?

Tony Hawks Pro Skater 3 had online play, had level CREATING and sharing (not the Forge, which is essentially a level editor, not creator, and is pretty limited). Replay theater? I can think of dozens of games off the top of my head that have that.

I can also think of tons of games that have photomode.

Basically, Halo 3 is not revolutionary.

As for it's high scores, I'll chalk it up to 2 things. An $800 bag and fan backlash. My friends list speaks for itself, and your's probably say's much of the same. More people are playing CoD4. The multiplayer is more diverse, and it's certainly more user friendly for customization and progression. Not to mention the challanges are a huge HUGE booster.

·
MSP
6,618 Posts

Tony Hawks Pro Skater 3 had online play, had level CREATING and sharing (not the Forge, which is essentially a level editor, not creator, and is pretty limited). Replay theater? I can think of dozens of games off the top of my head that have that.

As for it's high scores, I'll chalk it up to 2 things. An $800 bag and fan backlash. My friends list speaks for itself, and your's probably say's much of the same. More people are playing CoD4. The multiplayer is more diverse, and it's certainly more user friendly for customization and progression. Not to mention the challanges are a huge HUGE booster.
Funny how he only quoted that one little post and kept quiet about the rest :p

My reply to your post? All I heard was waa waa waa! So I really have nothing to reply.

·
Registered
1,647 Posts

wtf are you still talking about halo 3 for?

·
Registered
6,012 Posts

The points you attempt to use once backed into a corner are laughable...

Please re-read my post. I said Halo 3 has the richest feature set of any console game to date. Sure, other games have had level editors(although calling The Forge a 'level editor' would be selling it short, IMO), and online play (no shit, but not on the same level as Halo), but name ONE game that has all of these features COMBINED. My point: it is easy to find games that have used ONE of these features before, but find one other game that has all of these features combined into one, very well polished, package. Secondly, I never said Halo 3 was 'revolutionary.' Please quote where I said that. "Basically," no Halo 3 is not revolutionary, but it was an awesome game that raised the bar another few notches. The only thing out of whack here is you constantly bashing Halo 3, implying it is inferior to many other games on the market.

Oh, and go ahead and list those 'dozens of games off of the top of your head that have replay theater/photomode.' But please, only list console games, preferably ones that you can immediately upload videos/photos to the internet on. I'll be waiting.

Also, CoD4 has an awesome online component, but no it is not more 'diverse.' Lastly, are you really suggesting the only reason Halo 3 received so many high ratings across the board was due to a bribe of sorts from Microsoft? You've got to be joking... You do realize many of those swag bags(or at least bits and pieces of them) went up on eBay for charity, right?

121 - 140 of 146 Posts