Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know it's a hard drive of some sort, but what makes this a $4,845 drive? I'm guessing it's because of the transfer rate because it only has 60 GB of memory. What would something like this be used for? Would anyone on here ever buy this? I am just curious. I was actually looking for a flash memory stick when I found this item. Here are pics and a complete list of specs:

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=40-116-121&depa=0

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
that is a tape drive unit. used for backing up data or archiving data onto tapes.
the reason that fucker is so expensive is because it's a very high quality tape drive. 12mb/s transfer rate is phenomenal on tape drives. most tape drives that can handle a 60gb tape would take approximately 4-5 hours to fill. if the transfer rate is close to 42gb per hour then that would take approximately 1.25 hours to fill the uncompressed space and approximately 3 hours to fill the compressed space (usually twice the uncompressed space).
compared to a hard drive that thing is slow tho. very very slow.

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
greenmachine2k said:
why would you spend that much $$$$$$ on a tape drive to back up your files? why not back up your files on dvd-rws
good question. I'm thinking because the tapes have a much higher capacity than dvd-rws (we're talking upwards of 100+gb on one tape), which probably is used more for large companies like police offices where data tracking is crucial and the need to store a lot on each piece of media is essential?

a lot of companies could also have been utilizing tape drives for awhile and needed a quicker more efficient new tapedrive to read/write their existing tapes and make new ones

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
5gencivic said:
that is a tape drive unit. used for backing up data or archiving data onto tapes.
the reason that fucker is so expensive is because it's a very high quality tape drive. 12mb/s transfer rate is phenomenal on tape drives. most tape drives that can handle a 60gb tape would take approximately 4-5 hours to fill. if the transfer rate is close to 42gb per hour then that would take approximately 1.25 hours to fill the uncompressed space and approximately 3 hours to fill the compressed space (usually twice the uncompressed space).
compared to a hard drive that thing is slow tho. very very slow.
We've got a LTO2 tape drive here at work. It's got a 16mb/s xfer rate and finishes a 120 gig job in about 2.5 hours. It has a capacity of 1.2Tb uncompressed. (not on one tape, it's a 8 tape autoloader)

It's much better than the one we had before. The old one could finish a 75Gig job in 5 hours. It was as slow as Xmas.

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
AEgeus said:
We've got a LTO2 tape drive here at work. It's got a 16mb/s xfer rate and finishes a 120 gig job in about 2.5 hours. It has a capacity of 1.2Tb uncompressed. (not on one tape, it's a 8 tape autoloader)

It's much better than the one we had before. The old one could finish a 75Gig job in 5 hours. It was as slow as Xmas.
a customer of mine has an 8 tape autoloader. Specs are much like the one you just quoted. Fucker was $15,000 dollars loaded with tapes. They also have a 1tb NAS solution as well.

To answer you would use this because you don't want to switch out dvd-rw's every 5 minutes for about 3 hours. plus dvd-rw's can't hold all of the data you're looking to backup. this tape can and this type of tape drive is reliable. imagine a company that has a network share and users home folders that is over 300gb in size. that's where a tape autoloader comes in handy. it'll back up for you every night without wincing at the size.

·
Registered
2,339 Posts
Same thing here, we have an 8 Tape 2Tb max autoloader. It runs backups pretty quick but godamn it takes like 10 minutes to change the tapes.

·
Premium Member
6,822 Posts
5gencivic said:
a customer of mine has an 8 tape autoloader. Specs are much like the one you just quoted. Fucker was $15,000 dollars loaded with tapes. They also have a 1tb NAS solution as well.

To answer you would use this because you don't want to switch out dvd-rw's every 5 minutes for about 3 hours. plus dvd-rw's can't hold all of the data you're looking to backup. this tape can and this type of tape drive is reliable. imagine a company that has a network share and users home folders that is over 300gb in size. that's where a tape autoloader comes in handy. it'll back up for you every night without wincing at the size.
best response in hurr..... tape drives and changers are for buisenesses who need to and or are required to back up data for on or off site storage and in such a situation saving to a cd is just plain stupid to save gigs and gigs of data cd's arent the answer to everything :lmao

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.