I have actually done alot of research on these (because I was considering buying one) and here's my results:
1. No one knows shit about camshaft duration and lift - because I posted several different threads on several different boards asking someone to help me compare... and everyone just gave me some bullshit answer like "just spray" or "just swap in a twincam" fuck that shit.
2. For a Gude cam - you have to send in your "core" cam - and you have to pay them over 900 bucks - then they send you some back when they get your old cam - so you end up only paying 511. Supposed to be a bad motha of a cam. Bill Gude replied to my email that no V.S. and/or Ret. are necessary - even thou he recommended shifting anywhere from 8100/8500 rpm! He also sent me dynos of the cam producing over 20hp to the ground when mated with their ecu.
3. Crower just came out with some cams for our car(as of late January). They have three different stages mild to all out drag strip race only with extremely rough idle. This cam will run you over 300, plus you must buy the "components"package (springs and ret.) for about 250. Not too expensive - and you can get whatever type you want.
4. Crane cams offers two stages of their "billet cam cores." The cam alone is over 700 dollars, and they recommend V.S./Ret. for the more powerful one.
5. "The Zex cam" is actually made by COMP CAMS and I have seen the price of it ranging from 250 all the way up to over 600! There are two styles available - with the top one recommending V.S./Ret. I have talked to several people who have owned the cam and the synopsis is that it is "just ok" - doesnt produce alot of power - but you can "feel the difference... but nothing to get excited about." The people that I talked to that own/owned this cam didn't buy the V.S./Ret. to go with the more aggressive cam - but didn't have any problems.
yeah Zex and Crower are the only ones I've seen and when I got a price on the Zex they wanted 600 bones! That $250 on that Nippon Racing site is the best price I've ever seen. I kinda want to get one now for that price.
YES THERE ARE GOOD CAMS FOR A SINGLE CAM MOTOR ! ! !
zex makes a pretty good cam and there is alwaya GUDE
here are my experiances with gude:
gude makes a very radical cam, i dont recomend getting just the stand alone cam, you should really look into getting their head package, (which is pretty much just a port and polished head and buffer valve train) i ran a gude head with my d16y8 for 3 years and had no problem what so ever, and when i needed to smog my car all i had to do was put my stock header and ecu and i was nice and smogable, even with my idle varying from 600-1000.
the gude cam gave me a redline of 9000 and a power band pulling around 4000-redline, anything below that was just shitty(a little prob had to do with my exhaust system and header choice) what really made the difference was the 9lbs flywheel that i put on, once i had that on there, in combo with the head package make the engine really float.
now that i think about it i really miss the smoothness of my sohc motor compared to the b18 that im running now
but you know what they say, you crave what you dont have.
He wrote them an email and they did not take responsibility for it. They basicially screwed him over, saying there was no way he could prove he did not "abuse" (never defined that) the cam previous to the breakage. Of course, anybody can see that that statement is just stupid. I did see on another thread however, that was about Crower cams breaking in motors, that a person did call them up and really bitch about it and I think he said that they were considering what to do for him. I told my friend to do something more, but I guess he didn't want to. To make his plight worse, he went and got himself ripped off on a replacement B18C from somebody on thepartstrader.com. I feel bad for the guy but oh well I am off topic. Anyways point is NO they WILL NOT reimburse you for your broke motor, at least not unless you bitch/threaten them with legal action.
I dunno what your friend was thinking - If a cam broke in my engine - and fucked up my engine I WOULD RAISE HELL! The Crower cams are billet... not regrinds... so that is some crazy shit if one of them just broke! Crower is a reputable company in my book - and reputable companies usually back up there product - every once in a while you are going to have a bad cam. For them to say that he abused the cam doesnt make sense... what the fuck do they think he did? HaHa i know lots of people that get their new cams in the mail then procede to bang them against the counter a couple of times... right... Your friend needs to have crower purchase a new engine - I wouldn't accept anything less.
this is looks like what is going to happen, I am going to buy a crower mild cam and hayame adj. cam gear. What do I need to put this into my d16y8 motor? If i just use the stock valve springs and retainers, what will that do? and how do i tune the thing, I have i/h/e and i don't want to lose power across the band, so can i advance the timing of the cam gear to get some back that I will lose from the new cam i put in?
A forum community dedicated to Honda and Acura owners and enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about performance, modifications, concepts, reviews, classifieds, troubleshooting, maintenance, and more!