Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know if AEM cam gears are any good? Anybody here has them? Please let me know. I've got a 99 si DOHC Vtec engine and want to get some cam gears but don't know which ones to get. Thanks a lot...
also if anyone knows the setting for these would be cool...

· Registered
868 Posts
I had an AEM cam gear on my d16 motor and it worked very well. I recently (today) started up my b16, so bye bye d16 and bye bye AEM cam gear. For a DOHC motor, i would probably get the Skunk2. Those are the ones I have my eyes on.

· Registered
691 Posts
I have the Skunks and like them alot. The extra hex nuts on the gear helps to ensure it won't slip. They are also very well made. As for the settings, every engine is different. You will have to get dyno tuned in order to find the optimum setting for your car. I've just been playing around with mine until I can go get dynoed. The settings that seem to work best for me is +4 intake/+2 exhaust, but again, to find my optimum setting, I'm gonna need to get dynoed.

· Premium Member
23,755 Posts
HAd an aem on my single cam and it worked fine, HAd a friend that had the bolts slip on him when it was on the dyno. Dunno if they didnt tighten them enough...I have the DC sports ones on my b16 but i hear the skunk2's are good too...My choice is either dc or skunk2...3 bolts just isnt enough

· Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have found aem cam gears for my DOHC for $85 each, shipped. Is it worth getting them, or should I spend the exra $60 and get the skunk set?

· Premium Member
23,755 Posts
i'd spend the extra for the skunk2's....5 bolts is better than 3

· Premium Member
23,755 Posts
Toda=extremely expensive but good

skunk2 or dc sports= good but affordable

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.