Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11,248 Posts
I wouldn't install a cam gear unless you also installed a cam shaft. It just really isn't going to do much of anything for you. As for the pulleys. Yes, they do make power. I believe that you get about 5whp, but the gains are directectly related to the rpms (how fast the pulleys are spinning). So you won't really feel them. AT low rpm, you will get like 1whp, and it gradually/steadily builds up to about 5 by the time you are at like 6k rpms or so. So there are gains, but you might not feel it since it is linear.

save your money for now. Put it towards a swap or something. You should be able to pick up a d16z6 or d16y8 pretty cheap. That is probably going to net you the most bang for the buck at this point.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Cam Shaft

For the person who wishes to know what a cam shift is, i did a huge 5 page essay on the internal performance of an OHC engine, and cam shafts were one of the major topics. However it would involve a lot of typing cause i don't have it still stored on the computer, so just E-mail me at [email protected] and i'l answer your question.

P.S. if you want to know about pistions, and conector rods, i can answer those as well.
:cool:

·
Registered
850 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i just want to know wat kommon sense said about camshafts instead of cam gears do they make aftermarket better camshafts ? or did u means installing a better cam like crower cams ?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Internal performance

Cam shafts will make a substancial increase in you overall hp & torq, and adjustable cam gears will als derasticaly increase you hp & torq. However if you have some money to spend the optimum performance would be to put in a street & race cam shaft, then time the adjustable cam gear to match the camshaft. Actualy thats what i am in the process of doing myself, (mainly cause the cam shaft is located at the top of the engine, just under the cover, so it will be a simple task to do. Plus i already have AEM adjustable cam gears in, and all thats left is to purchase a camshaft and throw that in as well. As for do they make camshafts for imports... Hell yea. you should know by now. they make almost anything for imports, just sometimes its hard to find you modles exact match. I would advise cower cams, they are a large name and have a reputation to hold up, so you more likely to get a higher quality product from them.

156 horsepower, 1997 honda civic cx (under construction)
Lance Watson

·
Registered
850 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
kool thanks lance watson sounds like i should do that ! u got 156 hp ? what have u done ? it isnt the cx engine is it ? i used to have that engine it was crap head gasket kept going so i just swap to a jdm sohc vtec mand now im gonna mod the hell out of it, it basically stock now but those racing cam shafts sounds like a good idea but dont know how much it is, gonna have 2 look that up

·
Registered
3 Posts
Stock Engine, unfortenatly yes

Yea well here's my life story.(implying that life only just began when i got my car). Well i bought the totaly stock car, with 30,000 km on it, for 11,600 cand. I bought it for the looks, thats all i cared about at that time. My first improvement was a OBx short tub ram air introduction system, and after that the desire for power spawned. Also i fixed the looks, dammin Honda dosn't understand the derasticaly increased appeal added by spending $1200 on some decent rims, other than those hunks of metal only good for winter, they call rims. but to cut a long story short, i added performance, and the engine is still the cx (she's just a baby still, i'll depart from her when she atleast hits 90,000 km.) But to see my performance increases see my profile. Also some performance parts are unlisted, cause they are customized, and my creativity stays between me and my amazing mecanic (my dad), ha ha talk about saving cash on install. well i talked enough, later man.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.