Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6,969 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I scored a set of Crower 63403 Stage 3 cams for my B18C1 that im building, and am currently looking for springs and retainers. Damn, i had no idea they were so expensive. Almost $500 for Manley's and $600 for Crower. I found these springs and retainers by Supertech, and i was wondering if they would be OK to use with my cams?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Supe...yZ107063QQssPageNameZWD1VQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Seat Pressure: 70 lbs @ 33.5mm
Open Pressure: 190lbs @ 12.0mm
Max Lift: 12.5mm
Coil Bind: 19.5mm

Theyre only $330, which helps me out a LOT.

Also, this will be my setup hopefully:
Skunk2 intake manifold
JDM ITR 4-1 header w/ 2.5" collector
Comptech intake/icebox
Apexi N1 exhaust
B16 pistons w/ hastings rings
ACT stage 1 clutch
Exedy 9.5lb flywheel
Crower 63403 stage 3 cams
Supertech springs and retainers
VAFC2

Where should I be at as far as power?

Thanks for the help guys.

·
·Àdministrator·
1,238 Posts
Looks like you'll be starving those cams to death. you really need some P73 pistons or even P30, I think 11.5 is the least compression you should run with cams that big. As far as power, you can't really say much, i can tell you that with this set up crower stage 2 cams will deliver more power. At least 180whp should be expected though. You also need a better tuning source. Good luck with your set up.

·
Registered
6,969 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
All the research ive done said that these cams recommend a compression increase, but dont require it. The cam profiles are less agressive than Skunk2's stage 2.

Im going with Manley retainers because they come with the keepers so that the valves dont drop. Most retainers use the OEM ones. I just need to find some springs.

·
Registered
3,154 Posts
Damn... the Honda aftermarket robs you guys blind.
That's REDICULOUS for the specs. A set with almost double the strength is cheaper for a Corvette.

·
Registered
12 Posts
lego build..

id recommend supertech valvetrain, but with some more compression, you'll be dissapointed IMHO.

·
Registered
6,969 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I ended up going with Supertech springs and the Manley retainers. I think to bump the compression a bit more, ill use a thinner head gasket.

Is it ok to use 1 of the layers of the OEM head gasket? Ive heard of people doing this, but it seems ghetto. But on the other hand, whats the difference between 1 layer of OEM gasket, and a 1 layer Spoon or Mugen gasket? Are these OK to use? I dont want to pay $150+ for a fucking gasket.

·
Registered
12 Posts
you could buy an OEM gasket and use 2layers of it.. or just break down and buy a spoon one...haha

·
Registered
12 Posts
Sirfallsalot243 said:
Using one wont work?
thats the most ghetto ever..

just get a 2 layer, or use 3layer and just mill head more

·
Registered
6,969 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I just used a compression ratio calculator, and got the following results:

B18c with B16 pistons and OEM head gasket: 11.28:1
B18c w/ B16 pistons and 2 layer head gasket: 11.5:1
B18c with B16 pistons and 1 ply head gasket: 11.83:1
Stock B18c: 10:1

I may break down and get the 1 ply gasket. 11.83:1 is a pretty decent compression ratio for those cams. Are thinner head gaskets more prone to blowing?

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
Sirfallsalot243 said:
I scored a set of Crower 63403 Stage 3 cams for my B18C1 that im building, and am currently looking for springs and retainers. Damn, i had no idea they were so expensive. Almost $500 for Manley's and $600 for Crower. I found these springs and retainers by Supertech, and i was wondering if they would be OK to use with my cams?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Supe...yZ107063QQssPageNameZWD1VQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Seat Pressure: 70 lbs @ 33.5mm
Open Pressure: 190lbs @ 12.0mm
Max Lift: 12.5mm
Coil Bind: 19.5mm

Theyre only $330, which helps me out a LOT.

Also, this will be my setup hopefully:
Skunk2 intake manifold
JDM ITR 4-1 header w/ 2.5" collector
Comptech intake/icebox
Apexi N1 exhaust
B16 pistons w/ hastings rings
ACT stage 1 clutch
Exedy 9.5lb flywheel
Crower 63403 stage 3 cams
Supertech springs and retainers
VAFC2

Where should I be at as far as power?

Thanks for the help guys.
You'll be fine.. believe me, the CR you have now is more then fine for the stage 3 crowers, they aren't that big..Secondly, i wouldn't buy something as important as a valvetrain off ebay, but thats just me..
I've ran comp cams,crane cams, crower cams and i'm on skunk2 stage 2 now...the s2s2's have out proformed all of these cams by FAR..
The crane stage 2's = crower stage 3's basically..and to be honest..
I suggest either a toda or crower valvetrain..crower.com has some good info..about their springs.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.