Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I HAVE A B16 WITH ALL THE BOLTONS AND PORTING, SPRIING, ETC. CURIOUS WHAT THE NORM IS FOR THE DEGREES OF TIMING OF INTAKE AND EXHAUST SHOULD BE. HEADS NOT SHAVED AND MY CAM GEARS ARE IN 2 DEGREE INCREMENTS. ANY INFO WOULD BE APPRECIATED

· Registered
4,633 Posts
Shhhh stop yelling :hehe

Anyways, best bet is to get to the dyno, set them at 0-0, and go from there increasing the overlap as you see the power increasing and keeping a good powerband. It's going to be unique for most cars....timing that works on one car might be really crappy on yours.

For my midrange NA build, I was only able to extract 2whp while playing around with different timing settings from my cams that are bit hotter than yours. I think I'm at 2-0...can't remember for sure anymore.

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
WHAT? 2 DEGREES ON INTAKE AND 0 ON EXHAUST. DYNO COMING SOON. JUST WANTED TO BE CLOSE BEFORE I GO TO THE DYNO . IM REALLY ASKING WHAT MOST PEOPLE HAVE WITH CAMS CLOSE TO MINE FOR TIMING . THANKS

· Registered
4,633 Posts
Yea, changing the cam timing on my build just wasn't yielding very different results from having the cams zero'd at 0-0. Your B16 is rocking a bit higher compression than my B18B so you might have a bit more luck. You're going to find that unlocking more power than your baseline run will come mostly from the tune. Like I said, I unlocked another 2whp using the cam gears...but we unlocked 10whp from dialing in the tune, while making it nice and conservative as well.

· Premium Member
23,755 Posts
Like he said..it varies from otor to motor. My b16 right now has the intake advanced 2 and the exhaust retarted 1...Leave it at 0-0..because when they run it on the dyno they will find the best spot for it.. I actually need to go back to the dyno because on nitrous, the motors generally like to have the intake retarted some...SO i'm going to check that out and see how it works.

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
OK. NOW HERES ANOTHER QUESTION MY WIRING IS OBD-0 WITH A FUEL PIGGY PACK COMP. IM GOING TO CONVERT IT TO OBD-1 BEFORE I GO TO A DYNO, BUT WHAT IS THE MOST ECONOMIAL WAY TO TUNE IT AND WITH WHAT SYSTEM

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.