Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm the DIY tuner type, and i just want some opinions on purchasing a Camber Alignment Gauge. Since i'm purchasing the Tein SS Coilover.
I have done one too many Alignments and it cost more to do an alignment after installing aftermarket camber bolts/ball joints.

Also has anyone have any bad experience with these Guages?

Heres a link for a site that sells the gauge.
http://www.longacreracing.com/catalog/item.asp?id=132&catid=5

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
hell, why not just make a jig to attach a few mini bubble levels to the rotor and then align it with them?

·
Registered
11,248 Posts
Go to your local hobby store and buy a camber alignment gauge for an rc car. It'll cost about $9.95 . Just line a 2x4 up against the wheel and use the rc car guage. Here is a pic of one :

yeah, i know that it is ghetto, but doesn't seem like you need fancy guages to just read an angle.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
This doesn't sound like a bad Idea, but have you tried this yourself?

Also which is a better camber item to purchase Ball Joint, or those Bolt kits that cost too much for a screw and some washers.

·
Registered
12,727 Posts
98Type R said:

Also which is a better camber item to purchase Ball Joint, or those Bolt kits that cost too much for a screw and some washers.
I like the bolt kits or Upright mount kits.

the ball joint kits change the geometry a little and can hit the upper mount area.......

·
Registered
11,248 Posts
98Type R said:

It won't be super accurate, but an angle is an angle. Only issue is that you would have to do it on level ground.

·
Registered
434 Posts
I recently just put my camber kit on, and before taking it to the shop to get it aligned, i "ghetto" aligned it using a bubble level. To do this you have to not only elevate the car symmetrically, but also jack up the suspension to the point of typical ride height. Try to find a nice flat surface for your car too.

I simply removed the tire and used the disc brake rotors as a flat surface for the level. It seemed to work pretty well, as my car didnt pull in any direction afterwards.

I wouldnt recommend ghetto aligning the front end of your car, you are just asking for too many weird handling characteristics... but the back really isnt a big deal. Either way it is useful before a real alignment.

As far as alignment pricing goes, i paid 48 dollars and i have a front and rear ingalls kit installed. Its just some simple bolts; mechanics that do alignments are used to encountering camber kits.... they shouldnt charge any more than usual.

-p

·
Registered
3,177 Posts
thats old style alignment gauge, man those things are ******, i like doing them on the rack 100 times more then doing it with a gauge

·
Registered
161 Posts
there are a couple of shops in my town that offer a lifetime alignment deal, you pay for the equivalent of 3 alignments and then they'll align your car for as long as you own it. May be someone offers the same dean in your area.

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
just take it to an alignment shop.....so you can have precise camber adjustment for whatever application you want.....

·
Registered
367 Posts
lOOkatme said:
I like the bolt kits or Upright mount kits.

the ball joint kits change the geometry a little and can hit the upper mount area.......
Ball joints suck ass. My controll hits my fender wall which in turns doesnt let me lower it all the way. So i have to keep them on the minimall seting so i dont hit the fender wall

1 - 11 of 11 Posts