Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i need some help, i have a 96 HB with neuspeed race springs and some 16 inch OZ wheels. the problem is i go through tires like every four months. and it is eating away at me. i heard that bending the chasis corrects the camber and is more reliable than the cmaber kits. please someone reply and share their veiws. thanks.

· Registered
432 Posts
camber kits suck. it's a waste of money. My first set of tires after i dropped 3" lasted my 1,000 miles.

I got an alignment at goodyear and everything's fine. I don't have anymore wear on the insides at all!

· Registered
2,988 Posts
CivicNOS1 said:
camber kits suck. it's a waste of money. My first set of tires after i dropped 3" lasted my 1,000 miles.

I got an alignment at goodyear and everything's fine. I don't have anymore wear on the insides at all!
How did an alignment fix the camber? Dropping 3" should have your tires sitting like --> / \

I don't see how the problem went away with an alignment :confused:

I would like to know since I have a camber issue myself and thinking about getting a kit for the front.

Thanks

· Registered
298 Posts
Actually, it sounds like he got the alignment with the camber kit on.

Cuz, if you lower your car, get it aligned, and then install a camber kit, it's not going to do ANY good.

The camber kit just lets the guys doing the alignment adust the car beyond factory adjustability to compensate for the lowering.

· Registered
484 Posts
ACtually, I have a similar problem. I just put my summer tires and rims on and notices that my left/rear tire has striped wear on the inside track of the wheel. I understand if it's just worn more on the inside, and that's due to camber, but uneven striped wear? What gives?

Anyway, so I swapped that one to the front and vice versa, now my car pulls to the left slightly. It was aligned just about 8 months ago, and no banging to the curb or anything like that since. Any diagnosis to the problem?

· Registered
4,659 Posts
redfox said:
ACtually, I have a similar problem. I just put my summer tires and rims on and notices that my left/rear tire has striped wear on the inside track of the wheel. I understand if it's just worn more on the inside, and that's due to camber, but uneven striped wear? What gives?

Anyway, so I swapped that one to the front and vice versa, now my car pulls to the left slightly. It was aligned just about 8 months ago, and no banging to the curb or anything like that since. Any diagnosis to the problem?
it sounds like it's your alignment, i know you just got it aligned 8 months ago, but you might need it again ;) i'd get it aligned again.

about the camber kit being a waste???? getting your alignment done without a camber kit is a waste!
they won't be able to fix the camber all the way cause the factory alignment can't fix that much.

and about chassis bending?? i've never heard of that but it sounds like it'll cost a hell of a lot more than $150 for a camber kit.
go with the camber kit.
ghost

· Registered
484 Posts
GhostRider said:

it sounds like it's your alignment, i know you just got it aligned 8 months ago, but you might need it again ;) i'd get it aligned again.

ghost
Going to, but I wonder if the shop did a good job in the first place. I mean, those computer print outs don't really mean much. I may try to talk to them and have them redo it for free. If everything is done right, it should last longer than 8 months IMO.

· Registered
38 Posts
Some people who work at alignment shops actualy know what they are doing. They can manipulate your front end and they can get some camber for you. They did this to both of my cars. My girls saturn was dropped 2" and it had nasty negative camber. he took a drill and oblonged a few holes, and from there he could properly align the front end. He did my civic that way too. He just knew how to get camber out of them. So I recomend anyone who wants to get there car aligned to see if there local front end shop can do this. Not everyone knows how.:D

· Registered
272 Posts
yeah

I had a pretty bad camber on my ride too.. -2.8 in the rear... so I went to NTW andthe guy knew what he was doing.. like NitrousDom said.. some places just know what to do.. the guy on my car used to work for honda,, so he put some longer bolts in the rear camber,, and it brougt it out to a -1.2.. and he only charged me for the alignment..

· Registered
204 Posts
uneven tire wear after you lower a honda is not necessarily due only to the amount of camber you have. more tire wear is caused by an improper toe setting. on my car, i run almost 2 degrees negative camber in the front and about 1 to 1.5 negative in the rear. my tires don't show any uneven wear and they have a treadwear rating of 160. most cars can get away with just having the toe straightened out, but cars that are lowered a lot (which is stupid in my opinion) will need a camber kit front and rear to get the alignement back into spec. the uneven wear, called scalping, is either due to a worn out bushing, or very excessive toe in or toe out.
peace

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.